I've got it all! (rattle at startup, clunking, and stuttering). Sheesh - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

I've got it all! (rattle at startup, clunking, and stuttering). Sheesh

Old 06-28-2015, 12:41 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default I've got it all! (rattle at startup, clunking, and stuttering). Sheesh

I picked up a 2011 F150 XLT crew cab SB 4x4 with the ecoboost last January, a Texas truck. Got a great deal - $21,900 with only 61,000 miles on it, in fantastic condition, brand new tires, really not a scratch on it. Drove it back from Texas (home is MN) and was amazed by the mileage / power combination.

Then...I noticed a rattle on cold startups. Researched tonight, sounds like my timing chain is stretched. Work was really demanding and I didn't get to it. Then I started noticing a clunking when I went from a low speed downhill coast to a moderate acceleration (basically every time I exit my driveway). Did some research on that tonight, sounds like I need new driveshaft? But that was somewhat sporadic and I realized I could almost always avoid it by take it really really easy at the bottom of my driveway. Then last weekend on a humid morning I drove it about 150 miles, cruising between 60 and 70 mph. EVERY dang hill or slight incline I came to the truck stuttered, and the CEL came on and stayed on. Got so bad I just shifted it to 5th and left it there. Seems pretty obvious this is the condensation issue.

Ok, so I got a steal on the truck so if I have to spend a grand or two it wouldn't be the end of the world. BUT I'm not going to be happy to have to spend thousands and thousands to have all these DESIGN FLAWS fixed. I assume many of you have had many of the same issues. My truck has 67,500 miles on it. What can I expect from a dealer? Which of these issues are generally covered? Which are not?

Any advice would be great. Still really love the truck but I'm pretty bummed by having three potentially expensive problems all at the same time.
grover738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 AM   #2

Replace spark plugs. Drill 1/8th inch hole in the bottom of the inter cooler. Run better oil (0w40 would be perfect) and make sure your oil filter has a really good antidrainback valve. Lube the splines on the driveshaft. $150 tops.
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #3

Dealership says it's the plugs. They can't get it to rattle or clunk. I guess I'll find out...
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM   #4

Get the new Motorcraft 534 plugs, I think it's 534. The new plugs are gapped at .030", the ones you have probably are all over the place. I had misfiring and replaced the plugs, no more misfires.

I guarantee the previous owner knew it had all those issues and was probably out of warranty so he traded it in on a newer one. The dealer then sold it to you hoping you wouldn't figure out right away. I'm pretty close to doing that myself.
2011 Sterling Grey F-150 FX4 Screw 3.73 Ecoboost, Line-X Premium Bedliner, Line-X Bed Cover, F-150 Bug Shield, Bilstein Shocks, Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf, Auto Spring Level, Ultra Gauntlet Wheels, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, Pocket Style Fender Flares
Viking1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover738 View Post
Dealership says it's the plugs. They can't get it to rattle or clunk. I guess I'll find out...
I swear I could bring my truck to the dealer with a missing wheel and they would say they couldn't find anything wrong and everything is normal.

Best one I had so far was when I took my truck in for a rattle in the steering over washboard bumps. I go in to check what they found the following day. Service guy says the tech didn't hear or find anything wrong when he drove it around the parking lot (brand new blacktop).
splashgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:52 AM   #6

I would say everything else is minor, and can be done in you're driveway.
The timing chain, definitely should get taken care of.
If you find the right mechanic. The labor might only be a bit more than the parts themselves. I'd consider upper and lower gears, depending on how long it's been out of spec.
I think about 4 years ago when I had my 2005. I had just the chain and those god awful 2 piece plugs done, in my 5.4 and it was $500 bucks.
So nice not hearing that 'no oil in the engine' sound on start-up.
Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
masitile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashgtp View Post
I swear I could bring my truck to the dealer with a missing wheel and they would say they couldn't find anything wrong and everything is normal.

Best one I had so far was when I took my truck in for a rattle in the steering over washboard bumps. I go in to check what they found the following day. Service guy says the tech didn't hear or find anything wrong when he drove it around the parking lot (brand new blacktop).
Like now, that I finally have everyone on the same page in regards, to A/C smell.
Well naturally, it's been a consistent humid 85 ℉. So I've been using it everyday and it hasn't sat long enough to build up the smell again.
They did deodorize it, just on my word and the few calls the ford reps on here made, to make them "aware" there is a TSB out there. So that was good.
masitile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #8

Replacing the plugs seems to have taken care of the stuttering, one plug had a small crack in it. I put a motorcraft filter on, no more rattle. They couldnt make it clunk but now I can't either.
Old Today, 09:18 AM