Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intense Vibration/hum through Dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Elite

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Intense Vibration/hum through Dash

This is an educational post more so for those who may experience this. Happened to my 2014 FX4.

So as I'm leaving for work at 7am this morning pulling out of the driveway, I crank up the AC as the heat and humidity are nice and ripe in the morning. All of a sudden I hear an intense vibration and loud hum coming from dash. Thought it was a big truck passing by or something of the sort. Decided to shut off radio and AC. Well as soon as AC was shut off, sure enough no vibration and back to a nice smooth idle. So I drive to work quickly get to searching. And I found a symptom that was similar t mine. The AC blower motor and fan. Got home to tear into it and sure enough I found the culprit. Seems to be some sort of rubber grommet or something. Put her all back together and she purrs like normal.

Here's a pic of what I found in blower:
Attached Thumbnails Intense Vibration/hum through Dash-image-751994282.jpg  

Last edited by CuJo; 05-31-2018 at 09:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CuJo:
Funkdawg (03-05-2022), JB.Trucker (06-10-2021), TexasOreDigger (02-17-2023)
Old 10-25-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CuJo
This is an educational post more so for those who may experience this. Truck details in sig.

So as I'm leaving for work at 7am this morning pulling out of the driveway, I crank up the AC as the heat and humidity are nice and ripe in the morning. All of a sudden I hear an intense vibration and loud hum coming from dash. Thought it was a big truck passing by or something of the sort. Decided to shut off radio and AC. Well as soon as AC was shut off, sure enough no vibration and back to a nice smooth idle. So I drive to work quickly get to searching. And I found a symptom that was similar t mine. The AC blower motor and fan. Got home to tear into it and sure enough I found the culprit. Seems to be some sort of rubber grommet or something. Put her all back together and she purrs like normal.

Here's a pic of what I found in blower:
I just had the same issue. I've been having a buzzing noise from that part of the truck for about a week now. While trying to diagnose what it was, the blower motor started vibrating on me. I took it down to find the same rubber whatever-it-is. I was hoping to figure out what it could be, and I hope it was related to the buzzing noise, which I think was the blend door actuator trying to close, but couldn't because of this piece lodged up in there.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by firemanjj82
I just had the same issue. I've been having a buzzing noise from that part of the truck for about a week now. While trying to diagnose what it was, the blower motor started vibrating on me. I took it down to find the same rubber whatever-it-is. I was hoping to figure out what it could be, and I hope it was related to the buzzing noise, which I think was the blend door actuator trying to close, but couldn't because of this piece lodged up in there.
OK, what I believe the rubber piece is is the end of the recirculating door that is just above the fan motor. The hinge on one end broke off and landed in the squirrel cage. I'll know for certain tomorrow, but all I know is my recirculating door doesn't seem to want to move when I push the button, even though I hear the motor that moves it.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:37 PM
Elite

Hey fireman, it is the piece that connects to the recirc door and actuator to control it. My truck is out of 36k miles warranty so in order to fix that piece Ford said they would have to pull the entire air box and replace it which is like $1300-$1500. I rigged mine to stay closed by putting zip ties on the upper cage so the door doesn't slide open. I always recirc my air anyway so this is a good solution right now.
The following users liked this post:
JB.Trucker (06-10-2021)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Elite

Pic of said "Fix". I'll come up with something better down the road but this does the job and only thing I could do to get my fat fingers in there lol.
The following users liked this post:
BlueFlamzz13 (02-11-2023)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by CuJo
Pic of said "Fix". I'll come up with something better down the road but this does the job and only thing I could do to get my fat fingers in there lol.
I figured that's what that was. I'm definitely getting it into the shop soon to avoid the $1300-1500 fix.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Digging up old thread, but this just happened to me. Do they have to take it the entire dash to replace? I ask because I have a lot of wiring and switches that are run on the driver side that I would probably have to disconnect or else they will f it up. That will also be a huge pain in the ***. I have extended warranty but am considering just screwing it into closed position and living with it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Elite

I got a quote between $1300-$1500 to replace entire air box behind the dash. They can't fix just the part because it's concealed in the box/handler. Entire dash will have to come out in order to replace entire ac box.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue on 14 F150

I had the same issue on my 14 F150. Put the blower motor back but am still getting vibrations. I'm worried that it may have gotten thrown off balance but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14' raptor just did this. Pulled the blower motor only to find the exact same piece sitting in the fan. Motor is also out of balance now, and it really hums at full fan speed. Huge defect considering the work involved. My extended warranty might cover it.

Quick Reply: Intense Vibration/hum through Dash