Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing wiring to front doors

Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Installing wiring to front doors

I was trying to wire up power fold mirrors on my '10 Lariat and ran into a snag that scared me off. I had already purchased the new mirrors and confirmed the appropriate wires and polarity for fold in and out, but when I went to fish the doors to the cab I found there's no hole. The factory wiring connects via a plug on the body. I contemplated drilling a hole in each door but was worried about hitting something important.
Has anyone run any new wiring into the front doors? If so, can you advise pointers / difficulty level?

BTW, I also tried testing the pins at the DSM plug (pins 1 & 2) as shown in the wiring manual but it looks like the wires don't connect through which is probably why the mirrors are plug and play.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Well it seemed that no one else had info on this. I decided to go ahead and reply to my own post hoping this may help someone else out in the future. After contemplating it for a day or so I decided that the best choice was to get a 12" long drill bit and pop a hole in the plastic plug on the body to run the wires. It turned out to be pretty easy, I just opened the door, put some masking tape on the leading edge of the door and trailing edge of the fender (to prevent any scratches) and drill a 1/4" hole in the front edge of the grey plastic frame.
I then fished both doors and wired up pins 7 and 16 of the power mirrors to a DPDT rocker switch installed on the door panel. I picked up power off the power window switch and it works great.
No loss of any other mirror functionality and even gained puddle lights that weren't standard on the 2010 Lariat package.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

I tried and tried to get a wire through the door pillar, through the connector, and into the door from the inside. After many hours, I gave up (rare) and ran a second loom to protect the single wire, from behind the kickplate into the existing rubber loom. I just could not get it through the connector all the way through.

This guy (http://www.4scf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4221) got it to work on an older F150 with the same connector. Cost him a few cuts and scrapes.

Here's what I did.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Default Power mirror wiring

I know this is an older post but I was contacted regarding the wiring of power fold mirrors as an after market add on. I couldn't figure out how to post an attachment to a PM so I decided to put it in here.
If anyone wants to add power fold mirrors, they are kind of pricey but well worth the money if you park in a garage every day.
Pins 7 and 16 are the control pins, you reverse the polarity to change direction of the fold motors.
For this, I purchased the power fold mirrors from Tasca Parts along with a wire pigtail assembly (3U2Z-14S411-AJA). Mirrors and pigtail run right around $800. You remove a few of the wires from the pigtail assembly to replace pins 7 and 16 on the mirror wires so you have plenty to work with. I purchased a DPDT momentary switch (part number SW311-ND) from Digikey.com. The switch is pretty small and unobtrusive when mounted.
Then, instead of using any relays I just tapped into the hot wire on the power window switch and grounded to the door. I figure the mirrors take less power than the windows and I won't ever be rolling down the windows and folding the mirrors at the same time.
I mounted the momentary rocker switch on the flat part of the door panel just behind the mirror control switch.
Here's a down and dirty diagram of the wiring
Attached Images  

Last edited by 10-Ford; 01-10-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Corrected diagram, added as JPG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing wiring to front doors