Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Tow Mirrors 2009 XLT

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing Tow Mirrors 2009 XLT

I purchased Tow mirrors from Tasca. They went right at $300 shipped. Not cheap but I am very happy with the looks. I was considering some add-ons but just was not happy with anything I looked at. These work great as many of you know. Very simple install. No special skills required.

You will need a couple of small sockets I think 6 & 9mm, and 11mm to remove the mirror.

Two small screws at the bottom of the door panels. remove the black trim panel behind the door open lever (bolt under panel). I used a hook tool to grab this and pull out.
gently pry the power window/lock panel up. It just snaps in, but it's snug.
bolt under this panel. Be careful with this or you will mar the vinyl.

Gently lift door panel. It comes off easy, so no need to force anything.
unplug power connectors.

The door open lever assembly will release from the inside and then pass it through the door panel. Set door panel aside for now.

remove the three 11mm nuts holding the old mirror in place. The top stud has some snap in device to hold in place. You have to press the tab to get the top to release. If you look on your new mirror you will see what I'm talking about.

install the new mirror and reconnect the power. Replace door in reverse order. Pay close attention to the door lock. It's easy for this to miss the round hold in the door panel. I hope this helps.
You are done. A quick 20 minute job for both sides.

cheers,

John
The following users liked this post:
Warfarin (01-31-2013)
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures please

Got any pictures?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 PM

I do have some. I will get them posted in the next couple of days.
Been crazy busy at work. Retailer, it's Christmas time for us.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 94 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the instructional post. I will be looking into some type of tow mirrors, as I have a 26' travel trailer that I tow, and don't think the stock mirrors are going to get the job done.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
Pay close attention to the door lock. It's easy for this to miss the round hold in the door panel.
a trick to make this a little easier is to pop out the plastic trim ring from underneath, makes the hole a little larger, easier to thread the lock **** through
Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a great writeup, Much appreciated. I just installed the trailer tow mirrors on my truck today. It took me a little more than 20 minutes but I am slow. It is definetly within the skill level of most DIY types. It also saved me $170 plus taxes which is what the dealer was quoting me to install them. I had a bried drive with them tonight and love them. The look has really grown on me and you cannot be the versatility. Cheers johninar
Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I also put a set of tow mirrors on my 09 XLT a couple of weeks ago and I like them much better. My last truck was an 08 Super Duty w/ tow mirrors, so I feel more at home now. I got mine off of ebay, they were new take offs, for $305.00 and they have the chrome caps. They took a little getting used to the first couple of days (bank drive thru, etc.) but I love them. I guess since I'm pushing 62 years old, I'd rather see where I've been than where I'm going.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by skyhawk1
I guess since I'm pushing 62 years old, I'd rather see where I've been than where I'm going.
Love this line right here! LOL......not poking fun, seriously, it made me chuckle this morning... good stuff!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:00 PM

First off, I want to thank John for the clear, detailed instructions! Without them, I never would have tackled this project as I'm more of a home remodel guy than a mechanic. I ordered from Tasca and installed them this morning.

I would like to point out two things on my 2009 XLT SCab which differed from John's instructions. First, there was no need to pull the window/lock panel out of it's cradle. No screw there on my rig. I was really scratching my head over this when I looked at the small plastic plate inside the handle where you pull the door closed, just to the rear of the window/lock panel. Under that plate (simply pry it up) was the final screw holding the door panel. From there, easy removal with a slight upward pull on the panel. There's no need to disconnect anything but the mirror as the panel has about 10 or so plastic "hooks" which snug it to the door. The panel will rest on the set along the bottom of the door while you swap out the mirrors.

If anyone's interested, I now have a set of factory mirrors, black finish, including turn signal indicators and heat.

Again, thanks John. I'll buy you a beer when you come thru Portland (Oregon).

Last edited by SkierMike; 06-19-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 PM
I wanna go fast!

i ran into a small problem.... i got the mirrors all installed but i went to stick the fuse in for the turn signals and the opening is there but theres nothing behind it for the fuse to plug into..... anyone have any ideas????

Quick Reply: Installing Tow Mirrors 2009 XLT