Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really want HD radio!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I really want HD radio!

My buddy just got a 2011 Lariat and it has HD radio in the NAV head unit. Like my wife's newish Lexus, the quality of the radio station sound is a zillion times better than over the air analog. I want it!

Is there any way to add HD radio to my 2010, or can I swap out the NAV head unit with a 2011 if I can find one and gain HD radio that way?

... and before you comment, I have lots of HQ music uploaded to the hard drive and a big USB stick with music on it. I just enjoy listening to the radio going to work and the stations I like have weak analog signals.

Thanks for any HD radio upgrading information you can pass along.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you this, I didn't think much about HD radio. The 2013 Lariat I just purchased has HD radio in it. Holy cow!! Like you said, its a whole lot better than traditional radio. I am really impressed with the sound quality.

Sorry I can't help you with your install, but I think it would be rather involved.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

I think it is entirely possible.

Worst case is replace the stock head unit with an aftermarket double din nav unit.

I'm sure you could sell your factory unit to recoup costs.

I got a 2001 sunfire with a Kenwood 9990hd (worth more that the car lol) and it's got nav and HD Radio.

Good luck on your search!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts

If you referring to weak signals on analog the digital signal will be even weaker. Hd is nice where you can receive it. Swapping radios head units, don't think so unless you go third party. It's been written here that ford want allow it by design unless your truck came with it new. I take it as an effective anti theft tool. It's a brick yo anyone else.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
I got a 2001 sunfire with a Kenwood 9990hd (worth more that the car lol) and it's got nav and HD Radio.

Good luck on your search!

Pontiac Sunfire? Holy crap I thought all those things were sucked up by aliens passing thru our solar system. Been a while since I even heard anyone speak of them much less own one, LOL
Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Pontiac Sunfire? Holy crap I thought all those things were sucked up by aliens passing thru our solar system. Been a while since I even heard anyone speak of them much less own one, LOL
My mom still drives one.LOL
Old 06-22-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised no one has told me that I should just pony up for Serius Satellete Radio since my truck's equipped for it.

I find that this service produces tinny, compressed sound and the quality is not nearly as good as over the air HD radio.

BTexan: I live in Houston. Being in the 4th largest city in the US has one advantage... very strong HD stations who stopped putting money into their old analog equipment years ago knowing where the industry was headed. In my wife's Lexus, If the HD signal gets weak it automatically rolls to the analog version and I'm betting the F150 head unit is the same way.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Parson777
I'm surprised no one has told me that I should just pony up for Serius Satellete Radio since my truck's equipped for it.

I find that this service produces tinny, compressed sound and the quality is not nearly as good as over the air HD radio.

BTexan: I live in Houston. Being in the 4th largest city in the US has one advantage... very strong HD stations who stopped putting money into their old analog equipment years ago knowing where the industry was headed. In my wife's Lexus, If the HD signal gets weak it automatically rolls to the analog version and I'm betting the F150 head unit is the same way.

Yes, the compressed sound on Sirius Radio is awful, can't stand it.

As for HD Radio, I am surprised Ford does not sell an adapter anymore. When I had my 2007 F150, I bought and installed the Ford Custom HD radio upgrade module, $250 I think it was. Easy install too. I wanted to add it to my 2013, but it is not available
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts

Pardon 777 I lived in Houston for 36 years until moving to San Antonio three yrs ago, HD options and availability is really good in Houston as well as Dallas, somewhat in Austin but sucks in San Antonio. While most of the local broadcasters have HD transmitters they all are still primary analog stations. There are really good articles that explain how stations control their HD broadcast just google HD radio.

One thing I know I'd Lexus, Infiniti and others still are using the pre merger xm satellites, where ford is using the Sirius birds. Big difference in sound quality. My wife's Infiniti sound is near cd quality, my f150 sucks. But I keep renewing for news networks mostly

Last edited by btexan; 06-22-2015 at 09:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rlaws797 (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Sirius sounds horrible. The talk shows and news aren't too bad, but the music sounds awful.

Quick Reply: I really want HD radio!