Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate those friggin' emergency brake pivots!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I hate those friggin' emergency brake pivots!!!!

There has to be an aftermarket part or a fix for those friggin emergency brake pivots!!! First, they seize up.. CRAPPY design.... Then you pull the rear brakes apart, free up the pivot, antiseize them up, and put the brakes back together. They work for a while, then the pivot pops apart at the pin again and the parking brake pedal goes pretty much to the floor. What a lousy design!!!
I'm thinking of building up the pin with weld, grind it down a bit, install it on the other half of the pivot and pein it down (so that they wont keep coming apart). Anyone else have any suggestions? Did I say I really hate this design? Anyone who has had to take their rear emerg brakes apart and do this job would understand...... Looking for a long term solution here.....
Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 PM
I Can't Think Of One

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never used my parking brake.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:03 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

X2... never use it.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Not using your parking park doesn't help. Not everyone lives and parks on only flat land
Old 09-21-2015, 09:48 AM
I Can't Think Of One

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Not using your parking park doesn't help. Not everyone lives and parks on only flat land
It does if you live and park on plat land.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Agreed, I tow a 7500 lb travel trailer and yes, my street and driveway are sloped, and I like my parking/emergency brake to work. Not using it will only cause it to seize up (thanks to previous owner of my truck), brake drag on the inner drum, and overheated brakes. I am passionate about preventive maintenance and insist on everything on my vehicles working as designed/intended.
This is not a debate about whether or not to use a parking brake...
One day your friend will borrow your truck, park it, and apply the parking brake... by that point it will be 90 % seized and will lock the parking brake shoes to the inner drum.... now comes the fun..... you may not use it, but someone else will....

Perhaps someone has found a solution? My suggestion about extending the length of the pivot pin, then "mushrooming it" to stop the 2 pieces from coming apart on reassembly? I'd be happy to just order a aftermarket unit that is riveted together or something? I cant be the only guy out there who does his own repairs that has run into this. I've seen many people that have solutions for a park brake pedal that "wont come all the way back up and the light stays on". Thats the parking brake pivot seizing up......
Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

If the adjuster is going out that far and coming apart then your shoes are worn from you driving with the parking brake on or something else is wrong. Picture would explain wonders.

Or are you referring to the Bell crank lever that actuates the actual brake?

Last edited by winchested; 09-21-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by winchested
If the adjuster is going out that far and coming apart then your shoes are worn from you driving with the parking brake on or something else is wrong. Picture would explain wonders.

Or are you referring to the Bell crank lever that actuates the actual brake?
Should be part # 26 in this pic
Attached Thumbnails I hate those friggin' emergency brake pivots!!!!-parking-brake-system.gif  
Old 06-18-2016, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wingdreamer
There has to be an aftermarket part or a fix for those friggin emergency brake pivots!!! First, they seize up.. CRAPPY design.... Then you pull the rear brakes apart, free up the pivot, antiseize them up, and put the brakes back together. They work for a while, then the pivot pops apart at the pin again and the parking brake pedal goes pretty much to the floor. What a lousy design!!!
I'm thinking of building up the pin with weld, grind it down a bit, install it on the other half of the pivot and pein it down (so that they wont keep coming apart). Anyone else have any suggestions? Did I say I really hate this design? Anyone who has had to take their rear emerg brakes apart and do this job would understand...... Looking for a long term solution here.....
Ill have a permenant fix for this next week.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New here and though this thread is over a year old, thought I'd add a possible remedy for keeping the E-brake levers from separating. Just bought a high mileage '01 F150 in MN with typical rust, and while doing rear brakes discovered all the E-brake guts were purged, as is typical I learned from locals here due to issues mentioned above, and right rear cable was real stiff and left was rusted solid. Still had the levers that were rust-seized that I pounded apart and cleaned up. I'll drill through the pin/peg the levers rotate on and install a Teflon washer between and secure together with small bolt, washers and lock nut to keep from separating, and install new shoes and components along with cables. And hope for the best while trying to remember to set the E-brake religiously so that when I park on grade with load, they'll help as intended and I'll have that E-brake if/when one of the rusted brake lines blow out without warning of a small leak first.

Quick Reply: I hate those friggin' emergency brake pivots!!!!