Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Dyno Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Default Hypertech Dyno Video

Saw this video on hypertech's website. Why would they dyno the truck in 4wd? Pretty interesting gains though. Not much difference between the regular octane and premium octane tunes up until about 4500 rpm. Why are hypertechs and 5stars numbers so different? Hypertechs premium tune has a max hp of 334HP and 5stars is 290HP. Different dyno setups?
Old 10-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bcb97
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4eckHt-lI

Saw this video on hypertech's website. Why would they dyno the truck in 4wd? Pretty interesting gains though. Not much difference between the regular octane and premium octane tunes up until about 4500 rpm. Why are hypertechs and 5stars numbers so different? Hypertechs premium tune has a max hp of 334HP and 5stars is 290HP. Different dyno setups?
One thing I learned about with a tuned and blown Mustang is that dyno numbers are worthless for anything other than tuning. I could dyno my car on 3 different dynos on the same day and I would see 30rwhp difference. Each tuner tweaks the dyno and the numbers to read differently.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hypertech Dyno Results

Originally Posted by bcb97
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4eckHt-lI

We didn’t actually dyno this truck in 4WD. The front and rear drums of the dyno are connected by a differential and a drive shaft. This lets the front wheels rotate, simulating the truck on the road. There are several advantages to tuning a vehicle this way. One of the main benefits is that we are able to simulate the actual vehicle load when tuning. This allows us to optimize the tune for both normal loads, and when towing to capacity.

The truck we tuned was totally stock, and made 318 HP at the wheels on our dyno, which is pretty good, considering the 5.0L engine is rated at 360 HP at the flywheel. Different dynos can read different numbers. Different rear end gear ratios, tire diameters, and atmospheric conditions can also yield different HP readings.
Thanks, Gary @ Hypertech
Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypertech
We didn’t actually dyno this truck in 4WD. The front and rear drums of the dyno are connected by a differential and a drive shaft. This lets the front wheels rotate, simulating the truck on the road. There are several advantages to tuning a vehicle this way. One of the main benefits is that we are able to simulate the actual vehicle load when tuning. This allows us to optimize the tune for both normal loads, and when towing to capacity.

The truck we tuned was totally stock, and made 318 HP at the wheels on our dyno, which is pretty good, considering the 5.0L engine is rated at 360 HP at the flywheel. Different dynos can read different numbers. Different rear end gear ratios, tire diameters, and atmospheric conditions can also yield different HP readings.
Thanks, Gary @ Hypertech
Thanks I've never seen a dyno setup like that before. I've always liked Hypertech tunes. The only thing that would be confusing to me is all the changes to the rpm shift points for the trans. If I was to buy a hypertech tune, is there any way that I could get a recommend tune setup from hypertech (shift points, cooling fan temp mainly)? I've heard alot of guys say 5star tune has really helped their transmission since he changes the shift points around and makes the truck more responsive; that's what I would be looking for with the hypertech.

Last edited by bcb97; 10-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Dyno Video