Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well do you like sync turn by turn directions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well do you like sync turn by turn directions?

I have only used my turn by turn once on a short distance trip, about 4 miles. It seemed to do ok but wanted to give me an update about every minute which is very annoying. I will try it on a longer trip soon and hoping that improves. Just wanted some feedback from others on your thoughts?

Will sync replace your gps?? Im not sure im ready to retire my Garmine at this point.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 PM

i tried it on my way home from work recently and it is nice if you forgot the GPS but will not replace it, the biggest negative i found is when you have to recalcualte the route it takes several minutes, versus a gps which takes seconds.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 PM

My Ford Navi has officially replaced my Garmin. I got sick and tired of the 5-minute "Acquiring Satellite" from Garmin. My Navi has worked flawlessly to date, and I drive all over the midwest for work each week.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have to agree with kscurl. The GPS in my 2010 is lightyears ahead of any other GPS I've used. Its faster to acquire sattelites, has inertial navigation and rarely takes more than a second to recalculate. The only time it is annoying is if you are on a route that requires several turns close together, then it seems like it is constantly talking.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does turn by turn tie up your phone or keep you from using the radio or any of the Sync connections?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Creek Rat
Does turn by turn tie up your phone or keep you from using the radio or any of the Sync connections?
it only ties up your phone while it is downloading the directions to your truck. It only keeps from using your radio while they are telling you your next turn.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I like the Nav in my Platinum, but the Garmin I had in my other truck had a much better user interface. Also, the voice recognition leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

The Nav/SYNC on my 2010 F-150 Platinum has performed flawlessly. Much better than the $1,000 Garmin Zumo 550 that I have used for 3 years on my '03 Harley Davidson Road King.

I must qualify my reply with the fact that I have only had my new truck for 7 days and 200 miles, so I haven't given the Nav/SYNC system a full 3 year workout like I have with the Garmin Zumo. I have used the Nav/SYNC for local stuff, like 20 miles to the Pickup Specialties where I bought my BakFlip tonneau cover (it's great).

I have never seen it take more than 10 or 15 seconds to calculate a route. One reply mentioned minutes. I would say there is something wrong there. I did at "test" route to my brother's house in New Jersey (1,500 miles). About 20 seconds or less to calculate.

I have a feeling I'm going to miss the download feature of the Garmin Zumo 550. I planned routes (motorcycle rides) on my computer with the Garmin software and then downloaded the route (through USB) to the Zumo 550. I don't think that can be done with the Nav/SYNC. If you want to save a route to Nav/SYNC, I think you have to program it while in the vehicle.
If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.

A GPS navigation "fubar" that seems to be common to all 3 of my GPS units is missing "pass throughs" in divided road medians. If it ain't programmed into the map database, you are going to get bogus directions. For example, look at median pass throughs 1 and 2 below.

For the entire length of that north/south road, not a single median pass through is programmed into the GPS maps I have. So when I leave the parking lot at pass through 1, Nav/SYNC is telling me to turn right (because to go left would mean going the wrong way on a one way road per the GPS). Problem is I want to turn left to go home. Nav/SYNC shows me a route that goes about 2 miles out of my way because the Nav/SYNC doesn't know about the median pass through. Duh!
Once I make the left turn, Nav/SYNC takes less than 5 seconds to correct itself.

The neat thing about the TomTom One is that you can correct your own copy of maps on your personal GPS (and also post it on the TomTom website). With the other GPS's, you are screwed.

Last edited by SailorDon; 01-07-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

The other thing that is missing from the Nav is Waypoints. I had my Garmin programmed with a bunch of speed camera locations that would alert me when approaching. No such thing with this Nav.

The POI database searching is rather weak as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkY
The other thing that is missing from the Nav is Waypoints. I had my Garmin programmed with a bunch of speed camera locations that would alert me when approaching. No such thing with this Nav.
You could program your speed camera (is that like red light camera?) locations as destinations. "String" the destinations together to get to your final destination. Of course this requires user interaction to set a new destination upon arrival at a "camera" destination, but with voice activated commands, that should be a breeze.

Quick Reply: How well do you like sync turn by turn directions?