Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make your factory Sony Sub sound better

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to make your factory Sony Sub sound better

A lot of audio enthusiasts may have already thought of this but Im sure many people havent so I thought Id post this cheap upgrade. Without adding an aftermarket amp, there is little hope for decent bass out of the stock sony or maybe the output of the sony system is sufficient for you. The sony sounds "ok" at mid volume on tracks with higher bass frequencies but sounds horrible on the lower frequencies which made me think it either has a subsonic filter or the enclosure may be a little too small or both. To make the sub act as if it were in a larger enclosure, I stuffed the plastic box with PolyFill and gave it a try. For the first time, I actually felt the bass from this sub on a few tracks that I would normally have to skip because the sub bottomed out so bad. Im not saying that your mirrors are gonna shake or anything remotely close, Im just saying that for about $5 for a bag of polyfill, you will hear frequencies from this sub that previously were unavailable... If you dont know what polyfill is, its the cotton like material that is used to fill standard pillows, recliner arms, etc. You can buy it at walmart or any craft store or just cut open an old pillow. Give it a try and post your results
The following 13 users liked this post by Black_FX2:
210-f150 (10-02-2014), 66ford (05-03-2013), dkushner (12-13-2012), Fordjunkync (07-18-2013), jixxxer (02-25-2013), Mfrri7 (02-04-2014), Millertime6289 (03-01-2013), MrLunchbox (03-22-2018), napleskid (03-17-2013), ODawg (07-19-2013), rp4vols (09-08-2016), Shadetree43 (08-04-2017), sparky kilowatt (08-05-2013) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What is "stuffing"?? I really wanna do this
Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wondering if this would help the factory sub. I guess it's time to head down to Walmart and get some poly fill and give it a try.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jredecop
What is "stuffing"?? I really wanna do this
Polyfill is just "stuffed" or "packed" in to fill the empty space in the box. Just like you would stuff a pillow. It only takes 15 mins or so start to finish. Oh something I forgot to mention; if you decide to unplug the sub to completely remove it the terminals do not just pull off. They have a little prong in the center that locks them in place so you have to push depress them while you pull. Remember to bend them back when you plug them back in!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It already rattles my brain.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. It shouldn't add any volume but may get rid of that hollow "I'm just an 8" woofer in a small plastic box" sound. I have some extra poly fill from a previous project here at the house, I'm going to have to try that! Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Misconception

Its not the box thats too small but rather the typical sony amplifier problem.

Most sony high powered decks or any small to mid powered amplifier takes a little longer for the preamp to finally start pushing to the output amp.

Part of this with the sony decks is because of the loudness buttons thats built in.

Sony intended the loudness to be active at bottom end and self defeat at the mid to higher level.

The box is probabally meant to breath at a higher sound volume.
Putting fill in the cavity will induce a better responce at lower sound volume but the sub will fight to have enough air in the box to move the way it was intended at top end which will result in the sub to break loose off the magnet.

If you want to improve the bottom end responce and still retain great sound at top end is to replace the sub itself with one that has a larger magnet.
Find what the sub impedance is and buy a new one with a larger power handling and a larger magnet but the same impedance.

It does not have to be a sony sub, but do make surey the box is completly sealed when reassembling.

Let me know
Rick
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVATORGUY
Its not the box thats too small but rather the typical sony amplifier problem.

Most sony high powered decks or any small to mid powered amplifier takes a little longer for the preamp to finally start pushing to the output amp.

Part of this with the sony decks is because of the loudness buttons thats built in.

Sony intended the loudness to be active at bottom end and self defeat at the mid to higher level.

The box is probabally meant to breath at a higher sound volume.
Putting fill in the cavity will induce a better responce at lower sound volume but the sub will fight to have enough air in the box to move the way it was intended at top end which will result in the sub to break loose off the magnet.

If you want to improve the bottom end responce and still retain great sound at top end is to replace the sub itself with one that has a larger magnet.
Find what the sub impedance is and buy a new one with a larger power handling and a larger magnet but the same impedance.

It does not have to be a sony sub, but do make surey the box is completly sealed when reassembling.

Let me know
Rick
That makes zero sense. For starters poly fill is used to emulate a larger box than actually exists, that defeats your theory that at higher volumes it will fight for more air.

To add a sub with a higher power rating WITHOUT adding a larger amp will only lead to an underpowered woofer that instead of only sounding bad at high volumes now sounds bad at even low volumes.

The perfect solution would be to replace the sub, box AND amplifier but the cheater method of adding some fill, even if it only helps at low volumes is better than adding an improperly powered woofer. Not to mention a woofer with a larger magnet and likely longer travel would all but certainly require a more space than the small factory sub box.
The following 4 users liked this post by Justi:
JBR74 (03-22-2013), MrLunchbox (03-22-2018), NorthernYankee (07-15-2013), ODawg (07-19-2013)
Old 01-16-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ELEVATORGUY
Im sorry but, your mistaken. First of all, have you seen the magnet on the factory sub? Its huge for a 8"! The sony sub is actually a dual voice coil with each coil reading at 1.3 ohms if i remember correctly. Replacing the sub with a higher quality, higher power handling sub as you suggest connected to the factory amp would actually be taking a large step backwards! Any sub that is a dual 2 ohm voice coil is not going to be nearly as efficient as the sony. It would work, meaning you will be able to play it but you will not hear it at all once you go to mid volume if not well before. Adding polyfill helps to make the speaker act like it is in a larger enclosure and to reduce the "echo" sound that this plastic box creates making the sub more tolerable to different types of music.
The following users liked this post:
ODawg (07-19-2013)
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Expanding the Stable

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Justi
That makes zero sense. For starters poly fill is used to emulate a larger box than actually exists, that defeats your theory that at higher volumes it will fight for more air.

To add a sub with a higher power rating WITHOUT adding a larger amp will only lead to an underpowered woofer that instead of only sounding bad at high volumes now sounds bad at even low volumes.

The perfect solution would be to replace the sub, box AND amplifier but the cheater method of adding some fill, even if it only helps at low volumes is better than adding an improperly powered woofer. Not to mention a woofer with a larger magnet and likely longer travel would all but certainly require a more space than the small factory sub box.
Originally Posted by Black_FX2
Im sorry but, your mistaken. First of all, have you seen the magnet on the factory sub? Its huge for a 8"! The sony sub is actually a dual voice coil with each coil reading at 1.3 ohms if i remember correctly. Replacing the sub with a higher quality, higher power handling sub as you suggest connected to the factory amp would actually be taking a large step backwards! Any sub that is a dual 2 ohm voice coil is not going to be nearly as efficient as the sony. It would work, meaning you will be able to play it but you will not hear it at all once you go to mid volume if not well before. Adding polyfill helps to make the speaker act like it is in a larger enclosure and to reduce the "echo" sound that this plastic box creates making the sub more tolerable to different types of music.

Bingo..... Both above posts are accurate.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sublime268:
BarryT82 (08-30-2013), ODawg (07-19-2013)

Quick Reply: How to make your factory Sony Sub sound better