Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*

Hello Everyone,

I just Installed A PA in my 2010 F150 and Couldn't find a complete guide from start to finish so I figured I would make one.

The Materials you will need are:

1. CB radio: I used a cheap midland 1001z 30$ at radio shack's website http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3799949

2. Power Horn speaker: I used the 50 watt min 100 watt max one at radio shack (In store) 36$

3. Speaker Wiring: Most electronic stores

4. 3.5 mm mono headphone jack with stripped ends: Radio shack (in store) 3.99$

Installation:

Step 1: Install the CB radio, you may do this in 1 of 3 ways, Wire directly to the battery, Get an adapter and go through the car's power outlet, or do what I did and hardwire it to the fuse box.
-Simply take out an accessory fuse (I used a 25 amp fuse #19 in my model *see attached) wrap the positive red wire around the fuse, and stuff it back in. Then you need to ground the negative black wire. I grounded mine to a screw under the center dashboard and used electrical tape to secure it *see attached (I wasn't able to unscrew that screw to insert the wire, If anyone knows how please let me know)

Step 2: Install the Power Horn speaker, I Installed mine in the sunken area right below the front of the hood *see Attached, there was a small hole where I was able to attach a small bolt *see attached. There was another small hole where I was able to wire it steady.

Step 3: Run the Wiring, I ran the wiring up the Right side of the hood, through a rain guard and nook in the door *see attached, through the door, inside the sealant flap, and to the CB.

Step 4: Wire everything, Attach 1 of the 2 ends of the speaker wire to the Power Horn speaker (I just twisted the wire and wrapped it with electrical tape), and the other 2 ends of the wire to the stripped ends of the 3.5 mm mono headphone jack (Make sure the ends are attached to the right leads, positive to positive negative to negative), Insert the jack into the PA port on the back of the CB radio.

Step 5: Mount the CB radio, I mounted my radio into the small shelf underneath the sync and axillary inputs *see attached (I concealed the wires under the floor mat and behind the panel I removed to ground the wires)

In the end this was a fun simple modification that costs under 100$ The PA is loud enough to scare people in parking lots and for pedestrians to hear, even when the engine is running.

If you Have any questions or suggestions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*-ford-f150-fuse-box.jpg   How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*-f150-cb-ground.jpg   How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*-f150-power-horn-location.jpg   How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*-f150-door-wire-location.jpg   How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*-f150-cb-location.jpg  

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Master Electrician

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

where's the antenna?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

why didn't you run that wire through the firewall instead of on the outside and under the hood?

clean install inside though; looks nice
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the photo where you wrapped the wire around the fuse and shoved it back in, I didn't see if there was an inline fuse on the red wire. You really should have one in there to protect the wire itself in the event you get a cut or a short. I know there is probably a fuse near the CB radio, but that is to protect the CB, not the wire.

If you get a partial short on that red wire between the CB fuse and the 25A in the fuse panel, I suspect your wire will simply burn up and possibly start a fire in your truck. I have seen this with a cigarette lighter that had a coin drop into it. The coin caused a short and the fuse didn't blow, the wire burned up completely and melted inside the dash, plus filled the vehicle with toxic smoke.

My advice would be to add a fuse just after where you tapped into the fuse panel on that red wire and make the fuse the same size as what was provided on the CB radio (i.e if the fuse is 10A, use a 10A), that way it won't be too small for the draw from the CB.

Best to err on the side of caution, but up to you.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
why didn't you run that wire through the firewall instead of on the outside and under the hood?
Agreed. Much safer!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

clean install inside though; looks nice
Haha thanks, I could not find a clear way with out having to drill a hole through the firewall, I don't notice the wires through the doors at all though and I have easy access to the wires in case something goes wrong. Is there an easy way to get the wire through the firewall?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
In the photo where you wrapped the wire around the fuse and shoved it back in, I didn't see if there was an inline fuse on the red wire. You really should have one in there to protect the wire itself in the event you get a cut or a short. I know there is probably a fuse near the CB radio, but that is to protect the CB, not the wire.

If you get a partial short on that red wire between the CB fuse and the 25A in the fuse panel, I suspect your wire will simply burn up and possibly start a fire in your truck. I have seen this with a cigarette lighter that had a coin drop into it. The coin caused a short and the fuse didn't blow, the wire burned up completely and melted inside the dash, plus filled the vehicle with toxic smoke.

My advice would be to add a fuse just after where you tapped into the fuse panel on that red wire and make the fuse the same size as what was provided on the CB radio (i.e if the fuse is 10A, use a 10A), that way it won't be too small for the draw from the CB.

Best to err on the side of caution, but up to you.
Thanks for your concern, There is indeed an In-line Fuse connected to the red wire of the CB it's tucked behind so you cant see it. If i were to add a fuse to another hardwired accessory would you recommend a simple "add a fuse" adapter?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Good job.

Last edited by johnwill; 01-01-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job! I was looking at using this radio, and was looking a couple of weeks ago at different ways to install it.

Just a couple of questions....

1.) did you set up the antenna to use the CB function?

2.) how is the radio secured in the pocket?

3.) is that fuse location switched on/off with the truck?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TeenTruckster
Thanks for your concern, There is indeed an In-line Fuse connected to the red wire of the CB it's tucked behind so you cant see it. If i were to add a fuse to another hardwired accessory would you recommend a simple "add a fuse" adapter?
Honestly I have never tapped into the fuse panel using a fuse adapter or anything like that. I usually tap directly into the wires I want to connect to and solder them in place. Best connection you can make, but you need to make sure you know what your doing.

The add a fuse type connectors would probably work OK I have just never used them. Maybe some others have experience with them.

As for your ground that you asked about, if you can't get that bolt to come loose you could buy some self tapping metal screws from the hardware store, put a crimp on ring terminal on your negative wire, then drill your screw through the ring terminal into the metal where you want it connected. Just be sure that the metal is bare and not painted, where you have it looks like it would be fine.

Good job on the project overall!

Quick Reply: How I installed My PA (Personal Amplifier) System in my 2010 F150 *With Pictures*