Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How find Build Date from Vin # or Window Sticker

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How find Build Date from Vin # or Window Sticker

Is it possible to find the build date from a Trucks Vin # or window sticker?
TIA
Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by WGFA
Is it possible to find the build date from a Trucks Vin # or window sticker?
There's lots of misinformation floating around the web on this subject. Here's the straight skinny.

The actual build date (the date the vehicle came off the assembly line) is available in password protected Ford databases. Your dealer has the password and can go into the OASIS system and produce a build sheet for your VIN. The build sheet will include the date the vehicle rolled off the assembly line. the VIN is useless to determine the build date, other than to get the dealerperson to the right spot in the OASIS database.

You'll hear misinformation that the build date is on the window sticker. But it's not. There is a date at the bottom center of the sticker, but that's the date the window sticker was printed, not the date of assembly. The date of assembly will be a few days later. For example, the bottom line on my sticker shows
BM081 N RB 2X 215 004316 12 08 11

My truck rolled off the assembly line on 12/13/11, then because of holidays and a shortage of truck drivers in this area, I didn't see it until 01/02/12.

Last edited by smokeywren; 03-14-2012 at 10:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokeywren:
aky (04-09-2013), Tin Boat (09-18-2015)
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokeywren
There's lots of misinformation floating around the web on this subject. Here's the straight skinny.

The actual build date (the date the vehicle came off the assembly line) is available in password protected Ford databases. Your dealer has the password and can go into the OASIS system and produce a build sheet for your VIN. The build sheet will include the date the vehicle rolled off the assembly line. the VIN is useless to determine the build date, other than to get the dealerperson to the right spot in the OASIS database.

You'll hear misinformation that the build date is on the window sticker. But it's not. There is a date at the bottom center of the sticker, but that's the date the window sticker was printed, not the date of assembly. The date of assembly will be a few days later. For example, the bottom line on my sticker shows
BM081 N RB 2X 215 004316 12 08 11

My truck rolled off the assembly line on 12/13/11, then because of holidays and a shortage of truck drivers in this area, I didn't see it until 01/02/12.
Thanks smokey. Very useful information. I dont need the exact date but the date on the bottom of the sticker u mentioned should give me a decent timeline. The one I am interested has #'s on the bottom of the sticker showing CA131 N RB 2X 215 001812 01 13 12. I assume the build date is sometime after the 13th of this past January, correct?
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by WGFA
The one I am interested has #'s on the bottom of the sticker showing CA131 N RB 2X 215 001812 01 13 12. I assume the build date is sometime after the 13th of this past January, correct?
Correct. Build date is probably around January 19th.

But if your purpose is in just derermining about how long the truck has set on the lot unsold, then the date on the Federal Information sticker on the inside of the driver's door frame should be close enough. That's the sticker that tells you the VIN, tire size and inflation info, paint codes and other codes, along with the month/year of production. If you want closer than the month it was assembled, you're being too persnickety.

Quick Reply: How find Build Date from Vin # or Window Sticker