Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to clean stubborn gunk from outside windows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default How to clean stubborn gunk from outside windows?

I noticed a few weeks ago that my passenger side window had a white film on it, much like dried soap. I assumed I had just missed rinsing some of it after the last washing. I didn't think it was a big deal and the thought about it left my mind. I have now washed it twice since then. I noticed today the film is still there. It looks just like I let soap dry after washing it, but it will not clean off. The door paint is not affected just the window glass. I tried regular car wash soap with no luck. Next I tried simple green with a rough bug remover type wash mitt but still nothing. Windex didn't phase it. It doesn't feel sticky but you definitely can feel the roughness on the window. Can I clay bar a window? Thought maybe even trying to scrape it with a wet razor blade? Any tricks or ideas on how to get this cleaned off. I'd love to know what it is and where it came from but I'll settle for just getting it clean.
Attached Thumbnails How to clean stubborn gunk from outside windows?-image.jpg  

Last edited by andyems10; 08-04-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by andyems10
I noticed a few weeks ago that my passenger side window had a white film on it, much like dried soap. I assumed I had just missed rinsing some of it after the last washing. I didn't think it was a big deal and the thought about it left my mind. I have now washed it twice since then. I noticed today the film is still there. It looks just like I let soap dry after washing it, but it will not clean off. The door paint is not affected just the window glass. I tried regular car wash soap with no luck. Next I tried simple green with a rough bug remover type wash mitt but still nothing. Windex didn't phase it. It doesn't feel sticky but you definitely can feel the roughness on the window. Can I clay bar a window? Thought maybe even trying to scrape it with a wet razor blade? Any tricks or ideas on how to get this cleaned off. I'd love to know what it is and where it came from but I'll settle for just getting it clean.
2 options I use daily as a professional washer, razor blade, carefully scrape in 1 direction making sure no debris is on the window,
Or 0000 (4x zero) steel wool, this method is safer and works well to remove odd things on glass and chrome,
of course don't go to crazy with the pressure with either technics, both should work.
The following users liked this post:
andyems10 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

I suggest going to Home Depot and picking up some Bar Keeper's Friend or wally world and getting some Mequiars Ultimate Compound. Both will make quick work of the water spots.

I suggest taping off your trim before using either product.
andyems10 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I can only add one picture at a time but you get the idea. It's really not as prominent until the light hits it. Can't been seen from the inside at all. This will not come off with regular washing and soap.
Attached Thumbnails How to clean stubborn gunk from outside windows?-image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by andyems10
I can only add one picture at a time but you get the idea. It's really not as prominent until the light hits it. Can't been seen from the inside at all. This will not come off with regular washing and soap.
Forget the blade, grab some 0000 steel wool, you could try some compound too but be very careful that the compound doesn't use any abrasives.

I forgot to answer earlier, but claybar is safe on windows, so feel free to try it.
The following 2 users liked this post by kidastra:
andyems10 (08-04-2015), canddmeyer (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by kidastra
Forget the blade, grab some 0000 steel wool, you could try some compound too but be very careful that the compound doesn't use any abrasives.

I forgot to answer earlier, but claybar is safe on windows, so feel free to try it.
Compound is an abrasive, that's how it levels paint. Ultimate Compound will not do any damage to glass. I have used it many, many times.

#0000 steel wool does work too, but I have seen it marr glass after multiple uses.
andyems10 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Compound is an abrasive, that's how it levels paint. Ultimate Compound will not do any damage to glass. I have used it many, many times.

#0000 steel wool does work too, but I have seen it marr glass after multiple uses.
Sorry bad choice of words, make sure you don't choose a gritty compound, but there are plenty of compounds that the op could choose, I don't want him grabbing the wrong product.

I've only been a professional detailer for the past 18 years, my experience plays no role when it come to a forum though, everyone and their brother is an expert

Since I'm in no mood to argue, I'll leave you to take care of the op.

Last edited by kidastra; 08-04-2015 at 06:51 PM.
andyems10 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 PM

I detail as well, but I wouldn't say "professionally". I've only done about 50 vehicles for money, the rest are my own or family vehicles that I touch.

I was trying to suggest a specific product that was easy to find and wouldn't cause harm, who knows the OP may also get some use out of UC elsewhere. Steel wool is a good option, but if you use it repetitively because you use a auto wash or have bad water, it will start to marr the glass. Using it once or twice a year, I doubt will cause any noticeable harm. My Uncle figured he would use steel wool to take dried bugs off the windshield (pretty much every fricken day) and we started to notice a haze by the middle of summer (I know it is an extreme use case, but people do weird things).
andyems10 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Just go to your kitchen and grab some White Vinegar. Best mineral deposit cleaner I've found yet.
andyems10 (08-05-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 71 Likes on 70 Posts

Try using pro-form wax and tar remover. I had similar on my glass went over with the proform then followed up with auto glass cleaner. 100% again
andyems10 (08-05-2015)

Quick Reply: How to clean stubborn gunk from outside windows?