Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to add Locking Diff in 2WD mode on 2011's

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default How to add 2WD ELD mode on 2011's

There have been a few threads on this, but I did my install today and took some pictures of the process.

NOTE:
These parts work on MY truck. No guarantee it's going to work on YOUR truck. It almost certainly WILL NOT work if you have a 2010, as they use different TCCM's.
This is what I purchased (fordsupercenter)
  • AL3Z14B166BA, Switch assembly from 2011 Raptor. $14.76
  • CL3Z7E453CD. TCCM from 2012 F150 4x4 with ELD. $47.19

Part one. Replace the switch:
Pop out the switch. You can do it from the front if you do it carefully. Ideally, you'd release it from the back, but it takes a fair amount of disassembly to get to it, so I used a nylon pry tool and popped it out from the front. Swap the connector to the new switch and pop it back in. Ten minutes max!

Original switch. (See new switch in video below)

Part two. Swap TCCM:
The TCCM is mounted right above the fuse box in the passenger footwell.
To get as much acess as possible, I removed the glovebox (three 7mm screws on the bottom) and the soft felt panel that covers up the area above where the passengers feet would go.

The TCCM is held on by two 8mm bolts, one of which is relatively easy to get to, and the other is a bit tricky. There are two electrical connectors on the bottom, they are easy to get to and easy to release.

Rather than fighting to get the TCCM unbolted, I unhooked the electrical connectors from the old TCCM, plugged them into the new TCCM, and mounted the new TCCM directly on top of the old TCCM using heavy duty 3M double sided tape. This stuff is super strong, it isn't going anywhere. The other advantage is that if the replacement TCCM ever acts up, or if I want to return it to OEM configuration, I can do it in minutes without any tools.

Install Pictures:

Stock TCCM, mounted above the fusebox. It's a bit harder to get to those bolts than it looks like in this picture!

New TCCM, before mounting. Just dangling on carpet, but electrically connected. The picture is actually upside-down, but it's easier to read the part label this way.

New TCCM, 3M Mounting tape. This stuff holds on exterior trim pieces. It will have no problem holding the TCCM firmly in place.

New TCCM, mounted directly over old TCCM. I don't think anybody would even notice unless they looked very carefully

It works!

Last edited by pfbz; 02-19-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

You didn't have to change the rear diff for a electronic locking unit?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by fordfan77
You didn't have to change the rear diff for a electronic locking unit?
This mod is for trucks that already have ELD. The mod allows you to engage it in 2WD. Normally, the 2011's must be shifted into 4HI or 4LO before the ELD can be engaged.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Ford Freak

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz

This mod is for trucks that already have ELD. The mod allows you to engage it in 2WD. Normally, the 2011's must be shifted into 4HI or 4LO before the ELD can be engaged.
Ok yeah oops, I misread your title, thought it said on 2wd, but you said in 2wd, nevermind
Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 PM

Probably didn't pick the best title...

But I thought
Mod: Make your 2011 4X4 with ELD lock ELD in 2WD"
was a bit too cryptic :-)
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is great. Thanks for posting the pictures. Prying the switch off cleanly sounds tricky.

The video shows the screen and switch are clearly working. Have you tested the locker out in 2wd? Please post an update when you do.
The following users liked this post:
williamhejlik (04-02-2019)
Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think the risks are for voiding the warranty with this mod? It certainly appears like nothing changed between 2011 & 2012 to add this functionality except the switch and tccm.

It would be nice if Ford would say that it's fine to do this mod. Instead people are still left wondering if anything else is different between the two MY's with regard to the 2wd e-locker.

I know dcfluid said his dealer felt it did not void the warranty, but we are not all so close to our local service managers.

I guess leaving the other tccm in place makes it easy to switch it back.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by mich2cal
What do you think the risks are for voiding the warranty with this mod? It certainly appears like nothing changed between 2011 & 2012 to add this functionality except the switch and tccm.
I don't buy into the whole "void your warranty" fear. If I put a tuner on my PCM and blow my engine, yup, I might have a problem with warranty. Putting a 2012 TCCM in a 2011? Hard to imagine any serious problems it could cause. If I was unfortunate enough to have my ELD fail, I'd probably move the two cables over to the original TCCM and pop off the new TCCM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by mich2cal
The video shows the screen and switch are clearly working. Have you tested the locker out in 2wd? Please post an update when you do.
There are three indicators when your ELD is locked.
  • The light on the mode switch
  • The icon on the bottom line of the color display
  • The rear diff turns solid on the system diagram if you are in the off road display mode.

I was trying to show in the video that all three indicators come on and go off correctly in both 2WD and 4HI. 4LO isn't in the video, but that works fine as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
There are three indicators when your ELD is locked.
  • The light on the mode switch
  • The icon on the bottom line of the color display
  • The rear diff turns solid on the system diagram if you are in the off road display mode.
I was trying to show in the video that all three indicators come on and go off correctly in both 2WD and 4HI. 4LO isn't in the video, but that works fine as well.
I think what he was trying to get at was have you switched the ELD on in 2WD and lit up those tires. Lights and switches are fine, but we need to see both wheels spinning, haha.

Quick Reply: How to add Locking Diff in 2WD mode on 2011's