Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holster mount to side of flow-through console

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Holster mount to side of flow-through console

My truck's seat and my IWB holster don't play nice, so I put together a holster mount for carrying while I drive. It's not the most elegant solution, but I'm not nearly as talented as a lot of the guys on this board. It does, however, function perfectly.

Pros:
-Non-permanent (no holes or glue)
-Unobtrusive, but easy to access in case of need
-Main velcro patch offers enough real estate space for adjustment to different drivers (wife) or the addition of, say, a small flashlight or extra mag pouch

Materials:
-Few strips of industrial strength Velcro
-5.11 Tactical "Back Up Belt System - Holster Pouch" (
Amazon.com: 5.11 Holster Pouch, Black: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: 5.11 Holster Pouch, Black: Sports & Outdoors
)
-Couple feet of 3M Auto Advanced Super Strength Molding Tape

I actually tried mounting the patch initially using Gorilla Glue, but it didn't bond. The molding tape holds perfectly.

The back-up belt system "patch" is rough, so I attached a small strip of soft velcro around the knuckle area to make for a more comfortable holster and draw.

Note, I only use this when I'm in the vehicle. A console vault can be used for venues that don't allow firearms. Also, I have a CC permit and open carry is allowed in my state. Sucks if your laws vary...
Attached Thumbnails Holster mount to side of flow-through console-g1.jpg   Holster mount to side of flow-through console-g2.jpg   Holster mount to side of flow-through console-g3.jpg   Holster mount to side of flow-through console-g4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
f150dave2002 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks real good man.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 AM

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I have no issues with my IWB holster when I drive my truck or the car. I guess I've done it so many times, I've gotten use to it.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F1Lombie, what state are you in? BTW, great mounting on the holster.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great mount. I actually bought this same 5.11 holster several weeks ago but could not figure a way to mount it. I don't have the center console like you do. I ended up purchasing a holster designed for a truck. Just installed it today. I don't like the part that actually holds the gun, so i migh use the holster portion from that 5.11 set and mount it to the strap that I bought with this other kit.

Great set up.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffufuh
Great mount. I actually bought this same 5.11 holster several weeks ago but could not figure a way to mount it. I don't have the center console like you do. I ended up purchasing a holster designed for a truck. Just installed it today. I don't like the part that actually holds the gun, so i migh use the holster portion from that 5.11 set and mount it to the strap that I bought with this other kit.

Great set up.
What did you end up getting? Got a link for it?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Great set up. Similar to what I had been using.
Just wanted offer in reference to your Velcro.

My industrial Str Velcro tended to peel off that location. I tried the standard industrial strength, as well as the industrial str for plastic/dashboards.

My only guess is the texture of that area caused the peeling (Did not have this issue on my Tahoe ... but it is smooth there)

Like I said... looks great. but keep an eye on t if you tend to be in a high heat area as it may start to peel.

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by FXDos!
F1Lombie, what state are you in? BTW, great mounting on the holster.
Thx. AZ. Still a pro-2A state, for now...
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ABN Panzer
Great set up. Similar to what I had been using.
Just wanted offer in reference to your Velcro.

My industrial Str Velcro tended to peel off that location. I tried the standard industrial strength, as well as the industrial str for plastic/dashboards.

My only guess is the texture of that area caused the peeling (Did not have this issue on my Tahoe ... but it is smooth there)

Like I said... looks great. but keep an eye on t if you tend to be in a high heat area as it may start to peel.
Thanks.

I had the same experience with velcro when connected directly to the console, which is why I sought other options. Easy solution would have been lag screws, but I didn't want holes.

When Gorilla Glue didn't work, I researched it more and zeroed in on the molding tape, which holds like a champ even in our 110+ degree outside temps (and I park outside).

So to clarify, no velcro is connected to the console, only double-sided molding tape.

From closest to console outwards, it's:

molding tape
velcro (sticky side to molding tape, soft side outwards to 5.11 patch)
5.11 velcro patch (which is rough on both sides)
holster (which is soft velcro on both sides)

I like the fact that the layers, while thin, give a little gap between the pistol grip and the console to make it easier to handle. If I did it over, I might even consider the thicker molding tape, now that I know it holds so tight.
The following users liked this post:
ABN Panzer (08-29-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Largefarva
What did you end up getting? Got a link for it?
bought one from http://carseatholster.com/

They emailed me and said they were out and sent me the Pro version for no additional charge. The Pro comes with an extra velcro set so you can also use it under a desk or anywhere without the strap.
Here it is as it comes:

And here it is utilizing the holster portion of the 5.11 that the OP is using.

Here is what the Pro would look like once installed. See top part of the pic. You could also use this as a secondary mount for a gun in the truck as well. Velcro mounted to anything plastic does not work well for me though in TX heat, if utilizing the adhesive part. The seat portion of this is no adhesives. All sewn together to the strap.

Quick Reply: Holster mount to side of flow-through console