Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch hum at 60mph under load?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default High pitch hum at 60mph under load?

My 2014 4x4 5.0L supercrew recently developed a very annoying noise and I haven't the slightest thought what it could be. At exactly 60mph, when under any load, I get a high pitch hum thats difficult to pinpoint where it's eminating from. The best description I can think of is it sounds like when you take a crystal glass and rub a wet finger around the rim quickly, kind of a cross between a ring and a hum.

If I'm coasting the noise stops, and it doesn't do it at any other speed outside of 58-62 mph. I haven't changed anything on the truck prior to the noise starting, it's 100% bone stock.

If I run the truck in 4 hi under the same conditions I don't hear it, but the noise associated with the front drive components engaged may mask it. Just thought I'd poll for any suggestions/similar experiences before a dealer visit.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:19 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Odd. The last gen trucks did that. I think it was the alternator. They seemed to do it more in the cold though and it wasn't related to a load....
Old 08-12-2015, 12:54 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Default High pitch hum at 60mph under load?

When's the last time you rotated your tires. I had a 97 that would do that 55-60 and shake a little after as well as pull hard after 65 when it wasn't rotated or aligned right.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

If it does it only under load, then it is very possible something in the rear end / differential could be out of alignment or starting to have issues. Pinion bearing usually starts to make a similar noise, but only under load and will usually only do it at certain speeds.

Good news is sometimes that's all it is and it never gets worse, if that of course is the issue. If it starts to happen more and at more speeds or a more broad range of speed and circumstances, then it would be time to have it looked at.

I haven't had this problem in any of my F-150's but I have had it happen in other vehicles and the sound is almost exactly as you describe.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
My 2014 4x4 5.0L supercrew recently developed a very annoying noise and I haven't the slightest thought what it could be. At exactly 60mph, when under any load, I get a high pitch hum thats difficult to pinpoint where it's eminating from. The best description I can think of is it sounds like when you take a crystal glass and rub a wet finger around the rim quickly, kind of a cross between a ring and a hum.

If I'm coasting the noise stops, and it doesn't do it at any other speed outside of 58-62 mph. I haven't changed anything on the truck prior to the noise starting, it's 100% bone stock.

If I run the truck in 4 hi under the same conditions I don't hear it, but the noise associated with the front drive components engaged may mask it. Just thought I'd poll for any suggestions/similar experiences before a dealer visit.

Thanks.
Hi Top-Gun,

Please send a PM with your current mileage; I'll explore some options on this end.

Chad
Old 10-31-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top-Gun

Thanks.
I was wondering if you ever got the problem figured out because I'm having the exact same issue?

Quick Reply: High pitch hum at 60mph under load?