Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help weird sound from dash or maybe turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Question Help weird sound from dash or maybe turbo?

Truck is 500 miles from going over 100k and out of warranty. it is at the dealer now to diagnose a sound that occurs most times with acceleration. I say most because it happens to me daily but dealer cannot recreate. I have attached a video of the sound. What do you guys think? Service Rep said he thinks I am describing a waste gate sticking open but my boost gauge always show boost on acceleration. He stated it would have no boost when this happens. Any help is appreciated. I don't want to be out a new turbo after warranty due to dealer not being able to recreate. It is usually louder and has been cooler here in OK the last couple days. I don't know if that matters.

Turn it up to hear the sound. For some reason it is not that loud on You Tube.

JC

Last edited by tu3712; 08-19-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM
0.9% is for suckers!

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts

at least its documented at the dealer, did you show him this? This close to warranty I would get a second opinion, but I think usually if its documented and you have an issue further down the road they cut you some slack, but not sure how much.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by HoustonRider
at least its documented at the dealer, did you show him this? This close to warranty I would get a second opinion, but I think usually if its documented and you have an issue further down the road they cut you some slack, but not sure how much.

Yes I showed him the video. He thought it was the waste gate but the tech can't get it to do it when they drive it. I will call the warranty company and see if there is something I can do about that but I won't hold my breath.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Default Help weird sound from dash or maybe turbo?

Bump
Old 08-20-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the exact same problem right now. It has been about two weeks since it started. I changed the oil and air filter and volume of the noise went down some.

I also have a loud ticking sound at first start up idle from the passenger side in the engine compartment.

The truck runs fine otherwise.

I plan to take it in over the next few weeks and will post the result.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by FlintyDoughy
I am having the exact same problem right now. It has been about two weeks since it started. I changed the oil and air filter and volume of the noise went down some.

I also have a loud ticking sound at first start up idle from the passenger side in the engine compartment.

The truck runs fine otherwise.

I plan to take it in over the next few weeks and will post the result.
They just called and was able to replicate the sound. It's the waste gate. New turbo is ordered.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 AM

Thanks. I am off warranty now. Any idea on technician time or cost?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM

Also, did yours have the ticking sound at idle? I'm just wondering if that is related or separate.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by FlintyDoughy
Also, did yours have the ticking sound at idle? I'm just wondering if that is related or separate.
I don't recall a ticking but the eco does make a different sound that the 5.0 at idle. Do you have a video or sound clip you can post?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same exact thing happen to my truck. Sounded identical.

Dealer said it was waste gate and ordered new drivers side turbo and manifold. Once he got everything apart he said the turbo wasn't the problem (although he said the turbo had a little play in it and went ahead and changed it) but the "whistling" noise comes from a warped manifold. He said my manifold had a .060" gap between the block and manifold. The noise comes from the exhaust passing through and the gasket vibrating between the block and manifold, acts like a reed so to speak. TELL THE DEALER YOU WANT A NEW MANIFOLD!! They cost like $50 or something and labor is just a matter of minutes once the turbo is off.

That was 10,000 miles ago and the truck has ran smooth as ever. Actually, my MPG increased 1mpg since getting it fixed. I guess the leaking exhaust and wastegate issue caused poor mpg. I'm not up to 15.5 compared to 14.5, haha!
The following users liked this post:
tu3712 (08-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Help weird sound from dash or maybe turbo?