Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Possible Damage to CV axle from Level installation (clunking)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 AM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Default HELP: Possible Damage to CV axle from Level installation (clunking)

Ok so I installed my Adjustable Coilovers a few months ago and have only used 4WD twice. Both times I got some strange clunking and thunking when the cv axles were under load.

At first I thought maybe my CV axles were just at too steep an angle, then I remembered something that made my heart sink. I remembered that the buddy helping me install them told me later that when he was putting the passenger side coilover back in he had to jump on the hub to get it to fit (because he forgot to disconnect the sway bar.....) Yeah, wish he hadn't done that...

I have a feeling that him jumping on the hub may have damaged the CV axle. Any advice? I'm hesitant to take it in to Ford for the fear that they will just turn me away stating aftermarket parts as the issue and they may not even want to look at it.

Anyone have any advice/insight into this? Can this be fixed by a home mechanic or will it be shop only? Any idea on cost? How bad could it be?

[MENTION=85459]jcain[/MENTION] I saw you post about this a year ago, any advice?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

If you don't want to go to the dealer maybe take it to a 4wd or axle shop, perhaps they can at least diagnose it for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goneFXcrazy
Ok so I installed my Adjustable Coilovers a few months ago and have only used 4WD twice. Both times I got some strange clunking and thunking when the cv axles were under load. At first I thought maybe my CV axles were just at too steep an angle, then I remembered something that made my heart sink. I remembered that the buddy helping me install them told me later that when he was putting the passenger side coilover back in he had to jump on the hub to get it to fit (because he forgot to disconnect the sway bar.....) Yeah, wish he hadn't done that... I have a feeling that him jumping on the hub may have damaged the CV axle. Any advice? I'm hesitant to take it in to Ford for the fear that they will just turn me away stating aftermarket parts as the issue and they may not even want to look at it. Anyone have any advice/insight into this? Can this be fixed by a home mechanic or will it be shop only? Any idea on cost? How bad could it be? [MENTION=85459]jcain[/MENTION] I saw you post about this a year ago, any advice?
See if your cv boot is torn. If not try to move the cv and axle around and see if it's out of the cage.
I would hate to think that your buddy popped your axle out from the cv and you have to use it.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:52 AM

Ok so update. Talked to my buddy, turns out he DIDN'T jump on the hub, apparently he was joking and at the time I was too tired to catch on to that.

While that makes me feel better about our installation, that still doesn't explain what is going on. So tell me this, if anything is wrong it is most likely somewhere on the CV correct? Possibly the IWE got damaged? Or is it possible the Half Shaft itself got damaged somehow? IS there any way of replacing the gear ring on the Half Shaft without having to buy an entire new one?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:20 AM

Received 706 Likes on 548 Posts

I had clunk in front on switch to and from 4wd and just had both IWE replaced under warranty and it is gone. They also replaced 2 w520215-s441 nut, Odd but whatever. No noise now! IWE part 7L1z-3c247-a about $100 each.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 PM

So I took the front end apart, both IWEs are perfectly intact and holding vacuum. Checked the CV, all good. So now I'm thinking it's something further in towards the diff/t-case. Which to me means that it couldn't have been the install, I never even touched the cv, never mind messing with something further in. Gonna take it to Ford at some point, maybe next week.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by caperj
I had clunk in front on switch to and from 4wd and just had both IWE replaced under warranty and it is gone. They also replaced 2 w520215-s441 nut, Odd but whatever. No noise now! IWE part 7L1z-3c247-a about $100 each.
I think that nut is the CV end nut on the hub. Regular practice dictates that but must be replaced any time it is removed.

Quick Reply: HELP: Possible Damage to CV axle from Level installation (clunking)