Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 03:21 PM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help Please!!

So i noticed this awful ticking sound on my 10' F150 (5.4) Today. My dad seems to think its a lifter but i am not sure. I still have my warranty until 100k on it. I have attached a video of the sound. If anyone could help me i would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4596.MOV (4.03 MB, 45 views)
Old 08-22-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Not a lifter, maybe it's the cam phaser problem those engines had.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM
US ARMY

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Not a lifter, maybe it's the cam phaser problem those engines had.
Definatly not what i wanted to hear but anyway, good think i have my warranty on it. My only concern is will my level kit void the warranty? I called 1 of the 3 dealers here (the one i wont be taking it to) and he was cool and said no, because a cam phaser wouldnt fail because of a level kit. I also was thinking, why would shops care, if its under warranty wouldnt they love that? more work for them.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 PM
New Guy

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Just a guess mut I think phaser. I've heard that when they fail they sound like a diesel engine idle and worst when revved up.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by yones12
I also was thinking, why would shops care, if its under warranty wouldnt they love that? more work for them.
Book time for a repair is what a shop,... specifically the tech goes by to pay their bills, feed their family etc...... Ford warranty pay is about 1/3 what they would make if not under warranty.

So ask your self, would you like to make your entire pay check every week or 1/3 of it?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Help Please!!

The level should not make the engine not be under warranty. If it was a front end issue then yes but a lift kit does not affect the engine. If you bought it from a dealership take it back to that dealership and if they give you a hard time bitch and moan about how you will never buy another car here blah blah don't yell and scream but be disappointed. Also make them explain in detail why it is not covered. They have to prove why it's not covered. And worst comes to worst threaten a law suit.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

When you take it in.. Don't say you have a level. Don't divulge info that not related.

Sure they can tell but don't give them any excuse. Tell them whats wrong, if they come back and say something about it, give a are you sure look and tell them
"this level DID NoT make the engine tick" they will feel dumb for even saying it. But sure some will try. The quality of gas has more to do with your engine than a level and I'm sure you won't be saying what type of gas.

Last edited by Allquad; 08-23-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Allquad
When you take it in.. Don't say you have a level. Don't divulge info that not related. Sure they can tell but don't give them any excuse. Tell them whats wrong, if they come back and say something about it, give a are you sure look and tell them "this level DID NoT make the engine tick" they will feel dumb for even saying it. But sure some will try. The quality of gas has more to do with your engine than a level and I'm sure you won't be saying what type of gas.
Not entirely true.

If it has a level, it most likely has bigger tires. This added a change to the final gear ratio. Most don't reprogram computer for new tire size so calibration may be off. All this adds to more stress placed on motor.

Is that going to fail a cam phaser that is a widely known issue? No but a level DOES have something to do with performance.

OP, my dealer installs these levels before they are sold so if yours in the area are the same, they won't have issues and try to play the modified card.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I get what your saying and is true. Esp with tires. Gearing yes.

But no different than carrying a couple hundred lbs at most. My truck can carry 1600 lbs. and tows almost 4times that... See where I'm goin. Or is that wrong. If he doesn't tows past max including unsprung weight. I really don't see a prob.

I see it as no diff than my neighbor with a stock f150 and a mobile wash trailer permanently attached like his. Only uses for work. Never takes the trailer off. Or the guys with 500lbs of tools and tool box.

If his failed while towing do we blame that. Not arguing just stating for constructive criticism.
(Although one is normal use and other is a mod)

Last edited by Allquad; 08-23-2015 at 01:24 PM.