Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me Solve This Turbo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Help Me Solve This Turbo Problem

Hey Everyone,

My 2011 F-150 Ecoboost makes a very loud and strange noise that appears to be coming from the turbo. You can hear it in the video below.

You will need decent speakers, not a laptop or mobile to hear. It is a very loud grunting/groaning noise coming from what I think is the turbo.

Two separate dealers cannot solve... they can't even replicate the issue! I can make it happen 6 or 7 times a minute!

The noise occurs at following time points.

- 4 – 5 Seconds
- 19 - 20 Seconds
- 45 Seconds
- 47 Seconds
- 50-51 Seconds
- 54-55 Seconds

You can hear my turbo spool up and let off... Part way between letting the gas off completely and back to positive throttle the noise will occur and rumble through the truck. If you hold the pedal just right it will continue sputtering/grunting for several seconds.

Any ideas? I think it's the wastegate.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Sounds like the bypass valve doing it's thing. But it's hard to tell with no video. Are you on and off the throttle? If I could see what the speedo and tach are reading I may be able to tell what's going on.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Wastegates don't make noise. They open inside the exhaust and you can't physically hear anything from them.

Sounds to me like the BPV or BOV's (you have two since you have a 2011) doing their job. However, any competent dealer should be able to test and diagnose them. The grumble noise you hear could be the noise that the air will make in the piping if it is not allowed to escape or vent properly via those BOV's.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Sounds like the bypass valve doing it's thing. But it's hard to tell with no video. Are you on and off the throttle? If I could see what the speedo and tach are reading I may be able to tell what's going on.
Your speakers aren't picking up the lower frequency grunt then, it's very audible and no way it's normal. The speedo and tach do nothing when this happens.

Sounds to me like the BPV or BOV's (you have two since you have a 2011) doing their job. However, any competent dealer should be able to test and diagnose them.
I would agree BUT my other 2011 Ecoboost with 40,000km on the engine NEVER made this noise once, under identical driving conditions. There is something up with the truck... I just can't figure it out. I am pretty sure it's the turbo or a problem with it.

If you don't hear the loud grunting noise after I start letting off the gas then your speakers aren't picking up the sound. Try a different set.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Do you mean that thud noise when the BOV blows off?
Old 11-27-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Surely sounds like a Blow off valve issue. Take the Recirc hose off of the BOV and do the video again you will hear it louder and will get a better idea.

They call it venting to atmosphere, you will slide the clip back on the BOV (right off the turbo) or on the intake side. Tape up the intake hole as this will only be temporary.

I think you may have a bad diaphragm in the BOV. Seen one other fella complain of this it had a slice inside it.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts

I hear the deep, low, dull, THUD noise directly after the Blow off valve releases air. But I have no idea what that could be, sorry.

For those that only hear the BOV, listen directly after that for a low, dull, THUD noise.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Do you mean that thud noise when the BOV blows off?
Yes, it's really loud and rumbles through the whole truck (exhaust).

Surely sounds like a Blow off valve issue. Take the Recirc hose off of the BOV and do the video again you will hear it louder and will get a better idea.

They call it venting to atmosphere, you will slide the clip back on the BOV (right off the turbo) or on the intake side. Tape up the intake hole as this will only be temporary.

I think you may have a bad diaphragm in the BOV. Seen one other fella complain of this it had a slice inside it.
Damn, this has been months and this is the first really helpful advice I've received. Thank you. Ford mechanics say it's "normal" or they hear "nothing". Not even joking. So you've seen someone else complain about the issue?

It sounds like someone trying to blow a massive amount of air through a tiny straw.

I hear the deep, low, dull, THUD noise directly after the Blow off valve releases air. But I have no idea what that could be, sorry.

For those that only hear the BOV, listen directly after that for a low, dull, THUD noise.
Yes! That's the noise..... It's almost impossible to hear on some speakers, clear as day on others. Inside the truck you can't miss it. Anyone who rides with me (except Ford mechanics) all comment on the noise, which I can make happen pretty much on demand by lightly spooling the turbo and letting off... It's really easy to make happen coasting up long slow grades.

If there is a bad seal or leak in my turbo/bov I wonder if this could be the cause of my poor gas mileage?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by winchested
Surely sounds like a Blow off valve issue. Take the Recirc hose off of the BOV and do the video again you will hear it louder and will get a better idea. They call it venting to atmosphere, you will slide the clip back on the BOV (right off the turbo) or on the intake side. Tape up the intake hole as this will only be temporary. I think you may have a bad diaphragm in the BOV. Seen one other fella complain of this it had a slice inside it.
Be careful giving advice on things that may not be quite right. He stated he has a 2011 and the 2011 trucks have two BOV's, one mounted on each turbo. It has multiple hoses and lines.

In 2013, they put only one BOV and put it on/near the intercooler. There is only one hose on it, it is electronic, and can be more easily tested for failure than the 2011-2012 trucks.

I'm not saying you can't do a similar test on the 2011, but it won't be as easy and straight forward as the 2013-2014.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
Be careful giving advice on things that may not be quite right. He stated he has a 2011 and the 2011 trucks have two BOV's, one mounted on each turbo. It has multiple hoses and lines.

In 2013, they put only one BOV and put it on/near the intercooler. There is only one hose on it, it is electronic, and can be more easily tested for failure than the 2011-2012 trucks.

I'm not saying you can't do a similar test on the 2011, but it won't be as easy and straight forward as the 2013-2014.
Um hello duh I have a 2011 too I know a little thing or two about it. As I stated I said to remove only one hose clip on the drivers side (the turbo with the noise). Each turbo only has 1 BOV line. It's quite easy and straight forward

Quick Reply: Help Me Solve This Turbo Problem