Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Front-End Rotational Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Front-End Rotational Squeak

Hey everyone, I have a 2010 F-150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4. I am a DIY guy for most things and this one I can't seem to figure out. I have searched all the treads I can find and checked out each potential issue but with no luck. I even took the truck to two different mechanics and got some pretty dumb answers that I don't really trust. Here it goes;

Problem 1: When I drive forward or reverse I often get a squeak. The squeak is rotational meaning that as the wheel spins it squeaks. The faster I go the faster the squeak. When the brakes are applied the squeak goes away. When I turn left or right the squeak gets louder and longer. The brake pads are in great shape, as well as the rotors. (verified by me and 2 different shops) I was told at one shop that I need to just change out the rotors and the pads and this would fix it. (that is a bunch of BS and the pads have more than 3/4 life left so no the squeak is NOT the pad indicator rubbing to inform me I need new pads. the disks themselves do not have any groves front or back like something is stuck or damaged on either side of the rotors (I checked all four) I also validated the pads on all 4 wheels are wearing evenly. As well I checked the dust guards and thought they seemed fine clearance wise I bent them back a little to re-evaluate but this also did not seem to do anything. I know its not the drive line u-joints and I checked front and back just to make sure. There does not seam to be anything wrong that I could find. I originally thought it was coming from the rear and it was possibly linked to the park brake (more about this in a moment) I am kind of at a loss at this point but the squeak is loud annoying and I would rather DIY rather than go to the dealer and pay a fortune. I may throw my go pro under the truck and go for a drive to get some audio for you if it would help.

Problem 2: My park brake appears to need new lines. when I push the peddle down it is limp and does not hold at all. When I go as far as possible it starts to tense up the line but not a helpful brake at this time. While I was inspecting this I had the rear drum/rotors off and ended up replacing the springs and other components because they seemed rusted and not working well. The shoes were near new thickness however there was flakes all over in the drum. Like pieces of the shoe were flaking off in small sheets. I took the truck in to a brake shop and they said that was strange when they pulled it apart and told me the shoes were still good and they would grind them down for me just to make sure they don't fall apart like a faulty product and to even them out. Has anyone ever had this happen? Anyways everything went back together fine. When I inspected the park brake cables I noticed there is no way to adjust the cable itself. The star wheel was adjusted properly but then I noticed when I have the park brake fully on the passenger side is moving the lever much more than on the driver side. I am thinking there is nothing else to do other than replace the lines themselves however if you have any other ideas I am open to suggestions.

Quick Reply: Help! Front-End Rotational Squeak