Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
wait. what?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default HELP! did this SCT 5015 just brick my truck?

alright guys, my new truck is a 2014 F150 King Ranch Ecoboost 3.73 axle. I bought an SCT Livewire 5015 used from someone who had it on a 2013 Limited, I verified that it was unmarried, then I plugged it in to my computer, downloaded the auto updating software from SCT's website. let it install 27 updates. then I went and installed it on my truck. stock 87 tune.

it ran through everything, it said tune complete, turn key off. so I turned the key off, took it out, put it back in and nothing. the odometer it nothing but dashes. it will not even attempt to turn over. it says starting system fault, low oil pressure, service advancetrac, etc etc. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

I unplugged the tuner, took the key out and put it back in several times, and whether the key is on or off when I try to change the tune or return to stock, I get an error that either says turn key on, or turn key off. either way, just does back to the main menu after I do this. I set the key detect setting to none and it didn't help at all.

I have to run to my shop 15 miles away to grab a wrench, I'm going to try pulling the battery off to see if that does anything but I'm not too hopeful. does anyone else have any other suggestions? the truck is a week old with 1100 miles on it, I certainly hope I don't end up needing a new ECU because of this.

thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Did it store your stock tune first before it downloaded the sct tune? You will need to definitely call SCT first thing in the morning. Sounds like something happened on the update and the file is possibly corrupted or it didn't update or recognize something. You might try updating it again? Not sure as i have the X4
2012 FX2 5.0 E-loc, 3.55,Borla 40842S-type muffler resonator delete pipe, Airaid jr CAI with AEM 28-20385 dry drop in filter, Mustang 5.0 engine and cop covers, AVS window visors and Bug shield, Weather Tech floor pans, Plug n Play long range remote start, Truxedo Lo Pro bed cover,Infinity Kappa speakers,Clarion XC1410 amp,
SHR catch can, Pilot 5" stubby antenna.
Koolponycar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Broke F150 Owner

Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Yeah, you'll probably have call SCT tomorrow. OR you can try and contact their Emergency Support link on their website.

http://www.sctflash.com/urgentsupport.php

I would try and plug the tuner into your computer to make sure your stock tune file is on there. You may want to try and back it up as well.
white_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Fleet Technician

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Thanked 1,104 Times in 894 Posts

Buying a used tuner is like buying used underwear, something you just don't do.

Time for a trip to the dealer for an as-built data flash and pray that thing didn't fry the pcm.

jedeckert1984 (09-29-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
5 Year Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

would taking it to a dealer void the warranty?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
Blackout

A reputable tuner should be able to build a recovery tune
2006/2002 Mustang GT
2010 F250 Lariat CCSB 6.4 (900+ rwhp) - sold
one2nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
wait. what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolponycar View Post
Did it store your stock tune first before it downloaded the sct tune? You will need to definitely call SCT first thing in the morning. Sounds like something happened on the update and the file is possibly corrupted or it didn't update or recognize something. You might try updating it again? Not sure as i have the X4
it did say that it saved the stock file but it will not let me change anything at all. it just keeps saying I need to turn the key on, even though it is on. I plugged it back into my laptop and it didn't seem to find any more updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_dc View Post
Yeah, you'll probably have call SCT tomorrow. OR you can try and contact their Emergency Support link on their website.

http://www.sctflash.com/urgentsupport.php

I would try and plug the tuner into your computer to make sure your stock tune file is on there. You may want to try and back it up as well.
filled out the emergency form, thank you. as far as I can tell my stock tune is on there, it just won't let me do anything with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnlcomp View Post
Buying a used tuner is like buying used underwear, something you just don't do.

Time for a trip to the dealer for an as-built data flash and pray that thing didn't fry the pcm.

I've bought plenty of used tuners and never had a problem before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonGT View Post
would taking it to a dealer void the warranty?
yes, I would imagine so. hopefully it's just a simple reflash and nothing needs to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2nine View Post
A reputable tuner should be able to build a recovery tune
I've already attempted to contact MPT, since this unit was originally purchased from them. hopefully they have an answer.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKR View Post
it did say that it saved the stock file but it will not let me change anything at all. it just keeps saying I need to turn the key on, even though it is on. I plugged it back into my laptop and it didn't seem to find any more updates.

filled out the emergency form, thank you. as far as I can tell my stock tune is on there, it just won't let me do anything with it.

I've bought plenty of used tuners and never had a problem before.

yes, I would imagine so. hopefully it's just a simple reflash and nothing needs to be replaced.

I've already attempted to contact MPT, since this unit was originally purchased from them. hopefully they have an answer.
Thats good that it saved your stock tune. SCT should be able to get it back for you as long as nothing happened to the device. MPT may be able also to help so that is good you contacted them too. Someone told me on another forum that they did dome firmware updates and had a issue with it recognizing their tune file also and they had to call SCT and they were able to fix it, so keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully it all works out for you and you can recover your stock tune and correct the problem.
2012 FX2 5.0 E-loc, 3.55,Borla 40842S-type muffler resonator delete pipe, Airaid jr CAI with AEM 28-20385 dry drop in filter, Mustang 5.0 engine and cop covers, AVS window visors and Bug shield, Weather Tech floor pans, Plug n Play long range remote start, Truxedo Lo Pro bed cover,Infinity Kappa speakers,Clarion XC1410 amp,
SHR catch can, Pilot 5" stubby antenna.
Koolponycar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
wait. what?

I called SCT directly today, I'm at work yet but the gentleman I spoke with was very reassuring that we would be able to get this worked out remotely tonight, so I'm feeling optimistic. I certainly hope I never have to go through this again!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Blackout

I had a voltage drop one time when uploading on my superduty and it locked the truck. I had the tuner send me a recovery tune and was good to go by that evening. I now place my vehicles on a charger (which is recommended) when tuning for this reason.
2006/2002 Mustang GT
2010 F250 Lariat CCSB 6.4 (900+ rwhp) - sold
one2nine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one2nine For This Useful Post:
DavidKR (09-29-2014), Rnlcomp (09-29-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM