Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Heated seat not working

Hey all,

Yesterday I noticed that my heated seat stopped working. When I push the button, the lights come on and I hear a relay click (in the passenger kick panel), and I can hear the blower motor turn on under the seat. After about a minute, the relay clicks off, the blower stops and no heat comes out of the seat. The light on the dash stays on. If I turn the heater off and back on, the relay will not click nor will the blower start. Also, after the cycle fails once, the cooled seat will not work either. If I shut the truck off, and turn it back on, the cooled seat will work. If I try the heated seat, it does the same cycle (on for a minute then off).

Any suggestions? I am going to call the service dept today and try to get it booked in later this week. Naturally, I am over my basic warranty and I don't think the Premium Care ESP will cover heated/cooled seats.
The following users liked this post:
Steven Coffin (11-05-2020)
Old 09-16-2014, 07:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The same thing is happening in 11 Lariat. I just noticed it because the temperature has dropped and this is the first use of the heat setting since March or so. Like you said- the cooling setting seems to work fine. My heated seat actually turn off in 45-46 seconds and will not work again until the truck is restarted. Did you have it fixed yet?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Blackout

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts

Sometimes a wire will malfunction or crack in the heating pad element. Same thing happened in my 07 f150 and my 08 f350.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had an issue with mine. The lights were on but it wouldn't get warm. Went in for warranty and the dealer said they had to reflash the climate control module. It's worked fine ever since.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by JimFX4
The same thing is happening in 11 Lariat. I just noticed it because the temperature has dropped and this is the first use of the heat setting since March or so. Like you said- the cooling setting seems to work fine. My heated seat actually turn off in 45-46 seconds and will not work again until the truck is restarted...
It sounds like it's time for a trip to your dealership, JimFX4. How many miles are on the truck? Let me know when you get this diagnosed and I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal
Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JimFX4
The same thing is happening in 11 Lariat. I just noticed it because the temperature has dropped and this is the first use of the heat setting since March or so. Like you said- the cooling setting seems to work fine. My heated seat actually turn off in 45-46 seconds and will not work again until the truck is restarted. Did you have it fixed yet?
I took it to the dealer on Sept 5 and they changed the drivers side seat control module (which was faulty). The seat heater worked again.............for 2 days. Now it is doing the same thing. It is going back in on Friday. I'm not at all impressed to say the least.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nevint
... Now it is doing the same thing. It is going back in on Friday. I'm not at all impressed to say the least.
I can see how this would be frustrating, Nevint. Please pass on the odometer reading of your vehicle; I'll see what I can do.

Kwasi
Old 09-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
I can see how this would be frustrating, Nevint. Please pass on the odometer reading of your vehicle; I'll see what I can do.

Kwasi
I'm at about 81,000km. I have ESP up to 100,000km. Note that I am in Canada.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FordService
It sounds like it's time for a trip to your dealership, JimFX4. How many miles are on the truck? Let me know when you get this diagnosed and I'll see what I can do to help.

Crystal

Hi Crystal- I have 35,730 miles now. I have an appointment with my dealership on 9/22. Luckily it happened now and not afterward. My dealership has been pretty good so I do not expect any problems. I am just trying to keep my mileage at this point. I'm not impressed with my ownership- it makes me worried. I just had a state inspection a week ago an I needed a new front shock under warranty. When I first got the truck I had starting issues. I also had my rear slider with defrost grid replaced recently. Ford needs to expect more from their suppliers. Many of these components seem under- engineered. I also have the speakers cutting in and out but I do not seen any remedy for that other than after market speakers. I will keep you updated!!

Last edited by JimFX4; 09-16-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevint
I'm at about 81,000km. I have ESP up to 100,000km. Note that I am in Canada.
I found out the hard way that the extended warranty doesn't necessarily cover everything like this. My element in my driver's seat fried (nearly burning my legs) and the extended warranty that I paid plenty of extra money for won't cover it. Very disappointed. This is exactly why I paid an extra $1600 for an extended warranty up to 160,000km. Dealer wants $300+ to fix it, even though the part online is only $38. Good luck with yours.
(2011 FX4 EB, element fried at about 100-110,000km)

Quick Reply: Heated seat not working