Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Heated seat not working

Hey guys..got a question.
My heated seats all of a sudden stopped working. The driver and passenger seat. THe lights on the dash still come on saying theyre on. Anyone had this problem? blown fuse?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

My guess is a fuse since neither work. Hopefully it's that easy. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Devin4x4

I was having the same issues with my seat warmers.

The lights would turn on and I wouldn't get any heat. My truck is still under warranty so I took it to ford and they thought it was an actuator in the seat so they replaced this and it didn't fix the problem.

Then they thought it was the switch so they replaced the switches and that didn't solve the issue.

Next they replaced the heating element and everything works great now.

Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Maybe check to see if the connections for the elements are snug. Just a thought.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy Red F150 FX4
Hey Devin4x4

The lights would turn on and I wouldn't get any heat. My truck is still under warranty so I took it to ford and they thought it was an actuator in the seat so they replaced this and it didn't fix the problem.

Then they thought it was the switch so they replaced the switches and that didn't solve the issue.

Good Luck.
Lol...same exact process on mine. Was the heating element.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Heated only seats right? Not heated and cooled. If heated only, find the grey four wire connector underneath the seat at the front. Turn on the heater and check for voltage on the red wire. If you have voltage there then the modules and circuits up to the seat are ok and power is making it to the element. Next check for voltage on the black wire. If there is no voltage on the black wire then you have the typical heater fault which is a bad element in the lower part of the seat. The seat back element is usually ok.

With a fully functioning system the red wire will have 12-14v and the black wire will have about half of that voltage 6-8v
Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Candy Red F150 FX4
Hey Devin4x4

Good Luck.
Haha! Been there. First time I took it in for the seat heaters they said the hvac module needed to be programmed. Picked it up and it still didn't work. Set it up to take the truck back in and even explained to the service writer how the tech needed to diagnose it, and offered to show him how as well. They declined the offer and instead called me up a little later saying that it needed a new fcim module. I told them do not put in a new module, and, do not let that tech work on it anymore. Guess what... A little bit later they called and said, well, I guess you were right. It was the element after all, it's ready for you to pick up. Duh!
The following users liked this post:
13f150plat (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ha ha that sounds like my story.

The mechanic would take the truck to the back and hook it up to his computer and when the computer told him it was working fine he would call and tell me everything was working fine. So this went on for three or four visits to the dealership.

Finally I told them to watch their mechanic's because it was as simple as turning on the seat warmer and putting your hand on the seat to notice it wasn't working.

The dealership ignored me and told me that their mechanics knew how to trouble shoot the issues.

I found a different dealership to go to.
The following users liked this post:
13f150plat (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 6874
Heated only seats right? Not heated and cooled. If heated only, find the grey four wire connector underneath the seat at the front. Turn on the heater and check for voltage on the red wire. If you have voltage there then the modules and circuits up to the seat are ok and power is making it to the element. Next check for voltage on the black wire. If there is no voltage on the black wire then you have the typical heater fault which is a bad element in the lower part of the seat. The seat back element is usually ok.

With a fully functioning system the red wire will have 12-14v and the black wire will have about half of that voltage 6-8v

what about same problem with headted/cooling seats

lights light up on sync.. but no blower.. no heat .. ONLY on drivers.. pass works fine.. rear seats work fine
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 13f150plat
what about same problem with headted/cooling seats

lights light up on sync.. but no blower.. no heat .. ONLY on drivers.. pass works fine.. rear seats work fine
It is a lot different with the dual climate seats. The heat only seats just use a resistive element that heats up with current. The dual climate seats use a thermo electric device (known here and elsewhere as TED). Same principle as a refrigerator. That TED system is more complicated then the basic heat only, as the TED is controlled and moderated by the DSCM rather then just an on/off signal from the FCIM.

You said that the indicator lights up, and you said that the blower doesn't work... The most common fault is the blower motor, (sometimes taken out by a plugged filter). A fan faults fits your scenario. That may be all you need.
The following 2 users liked this post by 6874:
13f150plat (02-25-2014), canadam1234 (11-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Heated seat not working