Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEAT ONLY thru vents - 2010 F150 XTR

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEAT ONLY thru vents - 2010 F150 XTR

I've read up on a few threads regarding similar issues of super hot heat thru the vents with no ability to cool (AC) or just run outside air. I only get hot air or no air. My option for relief from the hot summer is to roll down the windows. Not exactly ideal for highway driving.

The XTR doesn't have a center console (shifter is off steering column). I also do not have dual climate control or heated seats.

I read about the blend door being stuck and the actuator to the blend door not being operational due to the gears being stripped inside.

During the winter of 2013-14 I heard a rattling sound on low fan around the passenger floor area. It seemed to go away when I turned the fan up to 3 or 4 speed.

Come September of 2014 I noticed my AC had stopped working - rather I was not getting cool air through my vents. My compressor was - however - still kicking in and the turning free and clear.

I was able to still move the air to defrost, front, and floor and decided that I could last through winter (here in the Calgary, Alberta area) as long as I had heat.

My step father and I took the task of removing the console to locate the actuator behind the stereo. We purchased a new one from Napa and was going to swap it as we noticed the actuator was not turning with a change in temperature on the dial. I was able to manually (and carefully) move the blend door and I was able to get AC through my vents. I moved it back to the original - found - position and once again got only heat. We then noticed that the original actuator (once opened) did not appear damaged at all. It was in good condition. However when both actuators were tested on the connector NEITHER would turn with any request.

My question is, since the fuse is fine, would the problem then be the actual **** / control assembly. Since its all one unit and all other features on the unit work (AC, MAX AC, Re-circ AC, Heated mirrors, etc) and the fan speed still works fine... The only item not responding is the temperature adjust dial. The part is AL34-19980-BF.

I went to my local Ford Dealer (Cam Clark) and the part they said matched my truck according to my quote invoice is AL3Z*19980*L which I assume is the same. The cost of the part is $564.84 plus a deposit of $70 which gets refunded when i return the broken part. The part is non refundable.

Does anyone else have a similar experience and found with replacing this part fixed the issue and once again put power to the blend door actuator? I'm leery of buying this as really funds are a bit tight.

Thanks
Ken
Old 08-04-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I would have the dealership do diagnostic. I have seen havc modules fail in F150. But it's an expensive guess to but one in plus it needs to be programmed by a dealership anyways.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So realistically if the part costs $564. And the diagnostic costs $145. Than the labour on top shouldn't really push the cost much more than that right? If that indeed is the issue. I can access and remove the center console and replace it physically myself in probably 15 minutes.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's the HVAC module I beleave that it's under the center speaker up on top of the dash so let's call it another hourish labor to install at least that's what my dealership would charge

Quick Reply: HEAT ONLY thru vents - 2010 F150 XTR