Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Radio reception issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HD Radio reception issues

I've noticed that since Saturday my HD Radio reception here in Dallas has fallen off a cliff. (2012 F150 Premium Sony nav/radio) My HD Radio says "acquiring signal" then switches over to the HD broadcast like normal... then a few seconds/minutes later drops the HD signal and switches to standard analog for about 30-60 seconds.. then will switch back to HD.. back to analog and so forth. It's really annoying since the analog signal is much louder than the HD signal.. I'm constantly turning up/down the volume. Very frustrating. Other HD stations do it as well.. just not as often as the one I was trying to listen to. I found a 3rd HD station that seems to have no reception issues in my truck.

I checked my antenna and it's fully screwed in.. not loose.

Regular FM and AM have great reception and work perfectly.

This is my first experience with HD Radio.. is this common issue with the HD format or do I need to take it into the dealer?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I have a station here in MN that comes in clear for about 3 seconds, then gets all full of static. Done it from day one last September. You'd think if it was a station issue they would have fixed it in 9 months...at the same time why would that be the only station that behaves that way in my truck. I say take it in, I'm probably gonna have them look at mine when they fix my rear slider and side mirror.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing, i rather just listen to non HD radio than have it flip back and forth. It is really irritating because the volume gets louder when it switches to HD
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jpguidry23
Mine does the same thing, i rather just listen to non HD radio than have it flip back and forth. It is really irritating because the volume gets louder when it switches to HD
Mine is the opposite.. HD is quieter.. analog is waaaay louder... but yep.. it's annoying to constantly be turning up/down the volume.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nixx
Mine is the opposite.. HD is quieter.. analog is waaaay louder... but yep.. it's annoying to constantly be turning up/down the volume.
It may be the opposite way, but i know when it switches it gets louder
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I knew HD radio was over-rated!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts

I've driven through Dallas twice in last two weeks. Noticed it on a couple of stations. I normally tune into kluv 98.7. And switch it o their side channel 2 for the old oldies. No problems. I think you are in the wrong place at the wrong time or your broadcaster is having some issues.

I thought that HD radio was just a gimmick until I heard it in my truck. Pretty amazing as long as you have a station to listen too.

One thing I really like it the capabilities of the radio to temporary setup similar stations in different locales based on your presets.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

HD does the same where I live to. I got a HD radio in my old truck and it would go in and out of HD all the time. I did everything I could think of to try to fix it and when my wife got a new car with HD and did the same I just lived with it. HD is really nice when it comes in. Now I just listen to Sirus since it is free for now.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

HD radio just totally fell off in Houston.
not getting reception on any of my HD stations
i think it might be a clear channel issue
Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts

Clear channel doesn't own all he stations in Houston. More Lilly your problem is your location.

Quick Reply: HD Radio reception issues