Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having issues with my truck...... again.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Having issues with my truck...... again.....

So today something weird started happening and I was wondering if anyone here could help me out.

My truck won't start for some reason. Thought it was a bad battery as I got it to start when I got a jump. Went out and bought a new battery. Still won't start most of the time.

When I got it to start earlier it took me several tries and I had everything turned off and it only barely started. Replaced the starter a month ago so I know that's good.

Now when I go to start it it will crank once and stop. Sometimes the theft light will flash rapidly. Other times the theft light won't even come on. I hear the fuel pump come on and then when it actually goes to start it kicks off leaving me with a dead truck.

Being as it's currently my only means of transport I need help and yesterday to get it back up and running.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Are your battery cables clean and attached to the battery terminals tightly?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:37 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Default Having issues with my truck...... again.....

Did you ever experience, a time that when you would turn the ignition to start, that there would be a half to full second pause, before the starter would crank?
Start normally. Not slow, or anything sounding abnormal..just a pause before it would start.
Enough time, to think it wasn't going to start, I know that.
They replaced a "relay" allegedly anyways, at 14,000 miles.
I have zero proof exactly what was done. Just taking their word for on it.

Last edited by Masi1926; 08-17-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbd5457
Are your battery cables clean and attached to the battery terminals tightly?
Yep! what he said! cables or cable ends.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:09 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

If you just went and thought you had a bad battery and went out and bought one without testing it I think this problem is beyond your comprehension. Best hire a mechanic.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by masitile
Did you ever experience, a time that when you would turn the ignition to start, that there would be a half to full second pause, before the starter would crank?
Start normally. Not slow, or anything sounding abnormal..just a pause before it would start.
Enough time, to think it wasn't going to start, I know that.
They replaced a "relay" allegedly anyways, at 14,000 miles.
I have zero proof exactly what was done. Just taking their word for on it.
Hmm, I've noticed this once and a great while, good info, thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Eenie meenie chilli beanie,
the spirits are about to speak!

And the year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, etc. of your F-150 is ?????

HINT/TIP: Put your vehicle information in your sig' -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

*Telepathic or Carnac we're not.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
Hmm, I've noticed this once and a great while, good info, thanks!
Same here on my 12...around .5 to a full second before it turns over. Never an issue so far, I was guessing it was attributed to all the electronics and computers getting sync'd up before ignition.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Snip

My apologies.

2009 F150 4x4 lariat supercrew with the 5.4 v8 the truck has about 70500 miles on it and I frequently off road it on trails and mud holes.

Last edited by The_Evil_One; 08-18-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 AM

So now that I'm calmed down about all this I'll crank out some more specific information.

When putting the key in the security light flash's its normal pace. Turn the key over to start and it makes a grinding noise then cuts off completely. The mileage on the dash does not dash out but all the gauges will completely drop and bounce in place.

Oddly if you turn the key to the off position and remove it quickly after it does this it will attempt to start the truck again with no key in the ignition!

The security light will blink rapidly after inserting it back in, cycling it to run and then off in order to get it to stop attempting to start.

Sometimes on the first attempt after a period of rest it will make a grinding sound. Other times it will give on crank and cut off completely.

There is no aftermaket anti theft system or aftermarket remote start only the ford one.

I frequently take the truck out on trails and mudding.

Now my understanding is that one or possibly several things can happen. A PCM somewhere could have been damaged and possibly shorted out a fuse or two.

The keys may have become unprogrammed and thus it trips the anti theft system however I don't think this is the case as the key fobs (both of them) work in regards to locking, unlocking, and the autostart.

Flywheel may have a bad spot.

I've through some research found the AC compressor pump clutch can also cause the engine to not want to start. I make mention of this because I'm having issues with the AC staying cool and my truck has been getting hotter than normal operating temperature ranges for both coolant and oil.

Starter despite being replaced over a month ago could have gone bad or the soleniod on it my have gone bad.

Door ajar switch could have gone bad and tripped the security system.

It could be something related to the fuel delivery system.

What I'm getting at is I have no idea what specific issue I'm experiencing and unti l I do I can't get it fixed on my own. I don't own a code scanner and no I can't just go spending money all ***** nilly when I want as I'm an E4 in the military so I don't make the kind of money to replace several things hoping it will fix my issue.

Last edited by The_Evil_One; 08-18-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Having issues with my truck...... again.....