Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shift in and out of 2nd gear - question on relearning

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard shift in and out of 2nd gear - question on relearning

I've got an '11 V8 with a 6R80 transmission. A while back I had the dealer reprogram the PCM via TSB 12-2-12 (Same as 11-10-15).

The truck started shifting hard in and out of 2nd again after a while, so I'd like to reset the learning behavior and try it again. I'm finding conflicting reports online as to whether pulling the battery cables actually resets it, or if the dealer has to do this. I'd like a definitive answer.

Does pulling the cables actually work? I've read some things about KAM, is that related?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by robotsneedhugs2
I've got an '11 V8 with a 6R80 transmission. A while back I had the dealer reprogram the PCM via TSB 12-2-12 (Same as 11-10-15).

The truck started shifting hard in and out of 2nd again after a while, so I'd like to reset the learning behavior and try it again. I'm finding conflicting reports online as to whether pulling the battery cables actually resets it, or if the dealer has to do this. I'd like a definitive answer.

Does pulling the cables actually work? I've read some things about KAM, is that related?
The dealer can reflash / update your PCM, but if that's already been done and it's not working I'd pull the battery which starts the keep alive memory (KAM) over. I first tried the battery and it worked for a short while, but now it's back. I'm thinking I'll see if my PCM is up to date, try that and if that doesn't work maybe a tuner.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:12 PM

Can you give me more info on a tuner? What is it or what does it do?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 PM

Can you give me more info on a tuner? What is it or what does it do?
There should be a sticky on it, which will explain it better than I can. It's really a last resort for me because they are damn expensive.

I also just went out and did the...well don't know what it's official name is...but it helps with throttle response. Google it and maybe it will come up. "Turn the ignition to the on position, press the gas pedal down slowly" etc.

I'm not on the computer or I'd post a link.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by miihere
There should be a sticky on it, which will explain it better than I can. It's really a last resort for me because they are damn expensive.

I also just went out and did the...well don't know what it's official name is...but it helps with throttle response. Google it and maybe it will come up. "Turn the ignition to the on position, press the gas pedal down slowly" etc.

I'm not on the computer or I'd post a link.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/bad-th...se-fix-253996/ ??
Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM

Thats the one. My theory is with a better throttle response, perhaps I won't feel the 1 to 2 shift as much. Sometimes it feels like someone hit the truck.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by miihere
Thats the one. My theory is with a better throttle response, perhaps I won't feel the 1 to 2 shift as much. Sometimes it feels like someone hit the truck.
I did this procedure this morning, and I did notice a much better throttle response but the hard 1-2 shift is still there. I'm going to try pulling the battery cables when I get time and start the relearn procedure.

Edit: after reading more on that throttle response thing, some people are saying it's not real? That it's just a placebo effect. Not sure if it's true either way but whatever.

Last edited by robotsneedhugs2; 04-06-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:14 PM

I did this procedure this morning, and I did notice a much better throttle response but the hard 1-2 shift is still there. I'm going to try pulling the battery cables when I get time and start the relearn procedure.

Edit: after reading more on that throttle response thing, some people are saying it's not real? That it's just a placebo effect. Not sure if it's true either way but whatever.
I'm not certain either. Pulling the battery worked for a short while for me, but I haven't gone in to see how up to date my PCM is. Let me know what you find. I've heard drive 100 miles and see up to 500 miles after battery pull.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Elite

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I had this. Fixed by resetting KAM. You can reset keep alive memory by pulling battery for 20-30mins or use a tuner if you have access to
One to clear KAM.