Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FX4 vs. Ram 1500 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FX4 vs. Ram 1500 Sport

Hey guys, I'm looking for some opinions from people that have bought an F150 after owning a 4th gen Ram 1500. I currently own a 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab and am looking to upgrade to a crew. I have always thought the FX4's were one of the nicest looking trucks on the road, but have been driving a Ram since 2007. Haven't had any issues with either my 07 or 12 Ram, and absolutely love the ride of the Ram. Drove an FX4 today for the first time (EB twice and 5.0 once) and think the truck is pretty nice. The size of the interior is enormous which is a huge plus. I felt the throttle response on both the EB and 5.0 were a little slower than I am used to in the Hemi, but the EB really gets going once moving. The 5.0 has a nice sound and seems to have sufficient power.

I am definitely going to be upgrading to either a Ram Crew or F150 Crew soon so I want to be as educated as possible. I think I would be happy either way.

The incentives offered on the loaded 13 FX4's are amazing right now and it's hard to pass up. Especially since there are no 13 Ram Sports equally equipped within 300 miles of Pittsburgh, and no incentives available on new 14's. Has anyone come from a 4th gen Ram 1500 over to an F150 recently? What are your thoughts? Opinions? Likes and dislikes? Which engine did you pick?

I've done many searches on this but I am hoping to get some opinions from people who have recently made the switch.

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonjc23
Hey guys, I'm looking for some opinions from people that have bought an F150 after owning a 4th gen Ram 1500. I currently own a 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab and am looking to upgrade to a crew. I have always thought the FX4's were one of the nicest looking trucks on the road, but have been driving a Ram since 2007. Haven't had any issues with either my 07 or 12 Ram, and absolutely love the ride of the Ram. Drove an FX4 today for the first time (EB twice and 5.0 once) and think the truck is pretty nice. The size of the interior is enormous which is a huge plus. I felt the throttle response on both the EB and 5.0 were a little slower than I am used to in the Hemi, but the EB really gets going once moving. The 5.0 has a nice sound and seems to have sufficient power.

I am definitely going to be upgrading to either a Ram Crew or F150 Crew soon so I want to be as educated as possible. I think I would be happy either way.

The incentives offered on the loaded 13 FX4's are amazing right now and it's hard to pass up. Especially since there are no 13 Ram Sports equally equipped within 300 miles of Pittsburgh, and no incentives available on new 14's. Has anyone come from a 4th gen Ram 1500 over to an F150 recently? What are your thoughts? Opinions? Likes and dislikes? Which engine did you pick?

I've done many searches on this but I am hoping to get some opinions from people who have recently made the switch.

Thanks for your input!
I had an 09 Dodge Ram 1500 Crewcab Larime thats was loaded except for 4 wheel drive. I now have a 12 Ford FX4 Supercrew with the 5.0 liter motor. Ride wise, the Ram rides a lot more like a car than the Ford. The Ford drives like a truck. Room, the Ford has tons more in my opinion. Storage, the Ram has way more. Motor, is really no concern for me, yeah the Ram feels like it pulls a little better but in the end the Ford will tow more. Looks is a wash to me as well, the Ram may look a little better on the outside than the Ford but the Ford looks a little better on the inside than the Ram. In the end drive both and make the decision for yourself. I think you will be happy with either one.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Agree with much of what Hemi9673 said. I prefer the Hemi over the 5.0 and the Ram interior in my opinion is much nicer especially with the new display. If you got the Ram I would recommend the 8 speed, better tranny, but they will be very difficult to find in a 2013.

Really can't go wrong with either one.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove both (FX-4 EB and Laramie Longhorn Hemi) and really liked both. The RAM has a lot going for it like the 4-corner air suspension, great interior, and the upcoming diesel engine (if that's something you are interested in). I think the FX-4 was a bit bigger inside which was a plus for my family; however, for me, it came down to capability. A loaded FX-4 with the max tow had a MUCH higher payload (1536 lbs) than a similarly equipped RAM Laramie or Laramie Longhorn (~1000lbs). For me, that's the difference between being able to tow a 32' Travel Trailer safely/comfortably and not. I LOVE my FX-4 with EB. I'm very happy with my purchase after ~600 miles. The bottom line is that they are both fantastic, modern vehicles so choose the one that suits your needs. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

In my opinion the hemi ram makes you feel like it has better throttle response, but your not actually going all that faster.
Has one hell of a smooth ride. And it was just a regular trim ram so i wasn't impressed with interior, but like i said it wasnt a laramie or anything. Sounds good too
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM

I would definitely agree that the Ram rides smoother, and I feel the interior is slightly nicer due to the use of more soft goods on the dash and door panels. The F150 interior design is nice looking though. It's also bigger IMO.

How well does the Microsoft operating system work for the entertainment and climate control systems?
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I was really impressed with the Ram, but the dealer couldn't make the numbers work. Ford dealer was WAY easier to deal with and hit the number I was looking for. Both are good trucks.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never had a Dodge experience that didn't end in a service garage with a large repair bill:

- Laser (Turbo, Heads)
- Durango (Transmission)
- Caravan (Steering Assembly)
- Town & Country (Transmission)

Can't say the same about Ford. My v8 Fords have never left me stranded. I swore off Dodge years ago. Too bad too because some of their latest models have interesting features. I just don't trust their brand or products.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Yeah Chrysler definitely has a shaky past with quality. However I've owned 4 of their products over the last 12 years and have been very happy with each (99 JGC, 05 Wrangler, 07 Ram 1500, 12 Ram 1500). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 14 Ram but I'm looking for the best truck for the money. Dealerships offering $10k off the FX4 is definitely enough for me to own my first Ford.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Jonjc23, I'm a value shopper. Doesn't mean cheap, I buy nice stuff, but I try to get the most for the $ that I can. Ford's aren't perfect, but I think you'll find a good value outcome if you chose the FX4.

Quick Reply: FX4 vs. Ram 1500 Sport