Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Scarekrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Fuel pressure question

I can't seem to find anything about fuel pressure test on a 2010 f150 so I'll ask here.

I have another post about my truck having issues starting on cold start up but won't explain it all again here but will say that it starts every time its just on cold start it will turn over several times before actually starting.

Ok I tried doing a pressure test last night and the gauge read 0 when truck was turned to on position. I ten cranked the truck and gauge still said 0.
I had gas barely drip out of Schrader valve when connecting and discounting house so there is gas in fuel rail.

I can hear the fuel pump engage every time I turn key on and have replaced fuel pump relay and fuse so they are good.

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the gauge is bad.
__________________
2010 F150 FX4
Scarekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Knielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarekrew View Post
I can't seem to find anything about fuel pressure test on a 2010 f150 so I'll ask here.

I have another post about my truck having issues starting on cold start up but won't explain it all again here but will say that it starts every time its just on cold start it will turn over several times before actually starting.

Ok I tried doing a pressure test last night and the gauge read 0 when truck was turned to on position. I ten cranked the truck and gauge still said 0.
I had gas barely drip out of Schrader valve when connecting and discounting house so there is gas in fuel rail.

I can hear the fuel pump engage every time I turn key on and have replaced fuel pump relay and fuse so they are good.

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the gauge is bad.

Usually never reads zero if you can hear the pump, try getting the truck running and connecting to fuel guage, i think spec if close to 50psi
__________________
'14 Stx Sport, 5.0, 20's, 1.5 AS level, Solo-Performance MR400, Tint+Rear Graphic, Fluid Film.


http://www.f150forum.com/f38/my-main...-build-281258/
Knielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Scarekrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knielsen View Post
Usually never reads zero if you can hear the pump, try getting the truck running and connecting to fuel guage, i think spec if close to 50psi
Ok I'll give it another try tonight. Also thanks for the psi I wasn't 100% sure what it was suppose to be.
__________________
2010 F150 FX4
Scarekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarekrew For This Useful Post:
Knielsen (12-12-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Scarekrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Ok I got a new gauge from autozone and got 40psi on fuel rail so fuel pump should w fine. What I have noticed is that when I am parked on a incline nose up I have trouble starting the truck but if I park nose down it starts like normal everytime.

Does anyone have a clue what I can check next.
__________________
2010 F150 FX4
Scarekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Opinionated Blowhard
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 124 Times in 70 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarekrew View Post
Ok I got a new gauge from autozone and got 40psi on fuel rail so fuel pump should w fine. What I have noticed is that when I am parked on a incline nose up I have trouble starting the truck but if I park nose down it starts like normal everytime. Does anyone have a clue what I can check next.
Is there a check valve that prevents back flow on the feed line? That could explain the difference.
__________________
2011 EB SCREW XLT 4X4 5.5 bed, Peragon sliding bed cover, 3.31 open diff, Bone Stock.
Kenferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Scarekrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenferg1 View Post
Is there a check valve that prevents back flow on the feed line? That could explain the difference.
I'm not sure I'll have to google it. I'm pretty sure there's no fuel pressure regulator (If that's the same thing). I searched and never could find one and autozone has no preplacment part for the fpr.
__________________
2010 F150 FX4
Scarekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Knielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

40 psi sounds too low to me. That check ball would be in the fuel pump itself I believe.
__________________
'14 Stx Sport, 5.0, 20's, 1.5 AS level, Solo-Performance MR400, Tint+Rear Graphic, Fluid Film.


http://www.f150forum.com/f38/my-main...-build-281258/
Knielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Knielsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Maine
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

40 psi is too low, enough to run but too low and will give you these symptoms, replace the pump and sleep better tonight, heres the specs for it, 51,60 psi
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel pressure question-fuel-system.jpg  
__________________
'14 Stx Sport, 5.0, 20's, 1.5 AS level, Solo-Performance MR400, Tint+Rear Graphic, Fluid Film.


http://www.f150forum.com/f38/my-main...-build-281258/
Knielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knielsen View Post
40 psi is too low, enough to run but too low and will give you these symptoms, replace the pump and sleep better tonight, heres the specs for it, 51,60 psi
Thanks for posting those specs. I'm following this thread for curiosity. My FFR Cobra is using running on fuel injection with a 255 lph pump. HP is around 375 and my fuel pressure is 55 psi and steady. So my thoughts for the OP's problem would have been that 40 psi would have been OK, but that would be wrong.
I think your right about pulling the fuel pump and inspecting the pick up. If he's got some dirty fuel and the pick up filter is partly blocked that might account for the symptoms.
conger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Scarekrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knielsen View Post
40 psi is too low, enough to run but too low and will give you these symptoms, replace the pump and sleep better tonight, heres the specs for it, 51,60 psi
Thank you so much for the specs. I was really hoping it wasn't the fuel pump but from what u provided 40psi is definitely low. We'll I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend

Thank y'all for all the info and I'll post after I install to let you know how the truck is running.
__________________
2010 F150 FX4
Scarekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:11 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.