Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pressure question

I can't seem to find anything about fuel pressure test on a 2010 f150 so I'll ask here.

I have another post about my truck having issues starting on cold start up but won't explain it all again here but will say that it starts every time its just on cold start it will turn over several times before actually starting.

Ok I tried doing a pressure test last night and the gauge read 0 when truck was turned to on position. I ten cranked the truck and gauge still said 0.
I had gas barely drip out of Schrader valve when connecting and discounting house so there is gas in fuel rail.

I can hear the fuel pump engage every time I turn key on and have replaced fuel pump relay and fuse so they are good.

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the gauge is bad.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarekrew
I can't seem to find anything about fuel pressure test on a 2010 f150 so I'll ask here.

I have another post about my truck having issues starting on cold start up but won't explain it all again here but will say that it starts every time its just on cold start it will turn over several times before actually starting.

Ok I tried doing a pressure test last night and the gauge read 0 when truck was turned to on position. I ten cranked the truck and gauge still said 0.
I had gas barely drip out of Schrader valve when connecting and discounting house so there is gas in fuel rail.

I can hear the fuel pump engage every time I turn key on and have replaced fuel pump relay and fuse so they are good.

Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the gauge is bad.

Usually never reads zero if you can hear the pump, try getting the truck running and connecting to fuel guage, i think spec if close to 50psi
Old 12-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Knielsen
Usually never reads zero if you can hear the pump, try getting the truck running and connecting to fuel guage, i think spec if close to 50psi
Ok I'll give it another try tonight. Also thanks for the psi I wasn't 100% sure what it was suppose to be.
The following users liked this post:
Knielsen (12-12-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 PM

Ok I got a new gauge from autozone and got 40psi on fuel rail so fuel pump should w fine. What I have noticed is that when I am parked on a incline nose up I have trouble starting the truck but if I park nose down it starts like normal everytime.

Does anyone have a clue what I can check next.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarekrew
Ok I got a new gauge from autozone and got 40psi on fuel rail so fuel pump should w fine. What I have noticed is that when I am parked on a incline nose up I have trouble starting the truck but if I park nose down it starts like normal everytime. Does anyone have a clue what I can check next.
Is there a check valve that prevents back flow on the feed line? That could explain the difference.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
Is there a check valve that prevents back flow on the feed line? That could explain the difference.
I'm not sure I'll have to google it. I'm pretty sure there's no fuel pressure regulator (If that's the same thing). I searched and never could find one and autozone has no preplacment part for the fpr.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 AM

40 psi sounds too low to me. That check ball would be in the fuel pump itself I believe.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM

40 psi is too low, enough to run but too low and will give you these symptoms, replace the pump and sleep better tonight, heres the specs for it, 51,60 psi
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pressure question-fuel-system.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

40 psi is too low, enough to run but too low and will give you these symptoms, replace the pump and sleep better tonight, heres the specs for it, 51,60 psi
Thanks for posting those specs. I'm following this thread for curiosity. My FFR Cobra is using running on fuel injection with a 255 lph pump. HP is around 375 and my fuel pressure is 55 psi and steady. So my thoughts for the OP's problem would have been that 40 psi would have been OK, but that would be wrong.
I think your right about pulling the fuel pump and inspecting the pick up. If he's got some dirty fuel and the pick up filter is partly blocked that might account for the symptoms.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 PM

Thank you so much for the specs. I was really hoping it wasn't the fuel pump but from what u provided 40psi is definitely low. We'll I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend

Thank y'all for all the info and I'll post after I install to let you know how the truck is running.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure question