Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge gone whacko

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fuel gauge gone whacko

So my F150 can add yet another problem to the ever increasing list of crap wrong with it.

My fuel gauge is acting weird. Today was the second time it's done this:

I went out and started up my truck to leave for work in the morning. The gauge read just above red and the fuel light came on. Computer said 105kms to empty. I knew I was getting low but didn't think it was that low. Luckily work isn't far away and I could fuel up on my way home, so I headed out.

I got about 5min down the road and suddenly the needle bumped to red, then up to 1/4 tank. The fuel light went out and the computer said 280kms to empty.

This is the second time it's done that.

Then to add to the confusion, when I fired up to leave work today, the fuel light came on again. However, this time the computer read --- to empty, no numbers and the needle was buried in the red. WTF? A gas station is on the way home so I planned to stop in there.

Once again though, I get about 5min down the road and the needle jumps up to just over 1/4 tank and the fuel light goes out.

I haven't filled up yet, but I'll be paying close attention to how much fuel it takes when I fuel up.

I wanted to post here first and see if there's anyone else who has experienced this.

I'm thinking the computer is boned or a sensor is pooched maybe? No check engine light or alerts are coming up at all.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed this a few times. Mine hopped from 36 mi to E to 120 mi to E. I have a '14 Ecoboost if that matters somehow.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Try not running it so low? We have a wrecker at work that does the same thing when it reaches a certain fuel level, bad sending unit.
The following users liked this post:
Outbound (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by FX14
I've noticed this a few times. Mine hopped from 36 mi to E to 120 mi to E. I have a '14 Ecoboost if that matters somehow.
So I'm not the only one. yay!! LOL

I should have mentioned, mine is the 5.0L

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Try not running it so low? We have a wrecker at work that does the same thing when it reaches a certain fuel level, bad sending unit.
I usually fill up when I hit 1/4 tank. This week has been hectic though and I haven't had a chance.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Who doesn't want a F150?

Received 189 Likes on 152 Posts

Are you parking on a incline??? LOL
Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RaceRed14
Are you parking on a incline??? LOL
Nope. Both spots at work and home are pretty much flat. That was actually the first thing I thought of. LOL

I filled up a little while ago here. I still had 12 liters in the tank apparently...
Old 08-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I filled up yesterday and it says about 470 mi to E, however on others day it'll sometimes say 550 mi to E. I guess ill go the dealer sometime this week.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

I have a 2013 EcoBoost with 36 Gallon tank, when my needle is near E it starts to act very weird. DTE goes all over the place from 120 to ---, and the Dummy light comes on an off at what seems like random.

Dealer has looked at it and was told by Ford, that it is normal behavior due to the amount of fuel left and the size of the tank.
They stated that the accurate reading is when you first start the truck, after it has been sitting for a while and the fuel has equalized between all the compartments.
When you start moving it will register the amount of fuel in the compartment where the sending unit is located, which can change as you are driving. Something about the anti slosh baffles holding fuel and then the fuel moving around between compartments during acceleration and deceleration.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 PM

Update:

My truck is in the shop right now since the fuel gauge seems to have quit altogether. I had 1/3 of a tank and the needle went to empty. I put 70 liters in and the needle still kept reading empty.

Got a call from the dealership and the tech was asking for another hour as he couldn't figure it out.

I'm 8000km outside of my bumper to bumper warranty and I doubt this will be powertrain related.

Any ideas?

I'm getting real sick of this. It's been one headache after another with this truck. There won't be another Ford in the driveway again. I really wanted this F150 to work but all it's done is reinforced my opinion that GM builds a better truck.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge gone whacko