Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrations with BAK and the Roll-X

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Frustrations with BAK and the Roll-X

So I bought a Roll-X back in late August and it's been nothing but a pain in my ***.

First when I got it I noticed that the bumpers on the underside were installed backward, the end of the cover did not rest on the tailgate, and the seals were all f'ed up. I immediately email BAK about it, and they get back to me instantly.

I am told that the bumpers are botched and they'll send more--they did.

At the same time I am told that my seals and cover are not messed up at all and I am reassured it will hold back water. I am skeptical. I used a hosed and feigned some rain on top of it and I got a few drops in the tailgate where the botched seals were, but I read everywhere that a few drops is normal, so I relax and put my stuff in the box, the whole reason I got a tonneau cover.

Fast forward to the first rains in September or so, my box is flooded. Absolutely flooded from where the seals don't reach. Everything is soaking wet. Needless to say I am pissed off.

So I email BAK again, this time I am ignored for 2 days. I call.

I talk to a guy who fishes out the "lost" email with my pics in it, and he patronizes me, saying it looks fine and there's nothing wrong but asks what he wants the company to do to make it right. I request a new roll to fix the issue, but he says instead they'll just send new seals, and said it was easy to put the new ones on and I could customize the fit because he will send more than enough. Fine, I will roll with that.

Fast forward to when I get the seals and find time to put them on. The seals came with no instruction, but I figure it is a simple install. It's not. The seals are tracked with the cover, which is a really good design...except it takes me and my friend over 2 hours to finally figure out we cannot get the seal on. It won't go, it gets 1/4 the way down and the rubber catches and will not proceed down the track. We took the cover off the truck, still no dice. It won't budge.

So now I have a Roll-X with a missing right seal, because we cannot get the replacement seal on it, at all. To add insult to defeat, I sprained my ankle and blistered my hand so badly it had to be wrapped.

Needless to say I am not a happy BAK customer, not happy with my Roll-X tonneau, and will never give that company a dime of mine again.

They will be getting a phone call very early Monday morning.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

that's too bad. I've found quite a bit of water underneath my G2 and it cost my sister a laptop (though I did tell her not to put it back there to begin with). and because of that among several other quality issues, I will never buy from Bak again.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

That sucks, I've had nothing but great luck with my G2. It just went through hurricane Sandy and only a couple drops in the bed.

Hopefully they make it right for you.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

my buddy put a g2 on his 2012 fx4 and has had water leaking in.

did they change their products from few years a go until now? i hear people talk about them like they are the greatest and then i hear terrible things...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let us know what they do to take care of you. My G2 has leaks every time it rains. The girl in charge of warranty issues is at a trade show and apparently no one else can handle warranty claims. I'm hoping they can get this resolved. I have referred too many people to them to be treated like this.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

We devised a way to "inch" (milimeter) the seal along the track. 6 blistered hands later we got one seal done in about 6 hours.

Productive.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a FiberMax CS on my 2012 SCREW, love it. Bone dry after a washing.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 168 Likes on 156 Posts

Funny thing, I just received my replacement G2 yesterday, after 5 days not hearing from orders@1offmotorsports to get a tracking #or something telling me it was coming. I finally heard from them yesterday, they said they had just got back from a trade show, in Vegas. Very unhappy with their service and lack of respect for the customer. I did get my replacement installed and as far as the cover itself I couldnt be happier. Oh yeah, the first one was damaged badly in shipping. 2013 Lariat 4x4 Scab
Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

oh, I also forgot to mention that when I bought my G2 brand new it didn't come with the shims which are recommended for installing it in the F150. I was basically called a liar and they refused to send me shims without charging me.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Imo its silly to keep anything in the bed of a pickup that cant get wet unless you have like a fiberglass one piece tonneau.

I had a bak on my 09 and it didnt let much water in, but it dented way too easy. Id never buy another one. Its an ok cover, but its not that great of a design or quality imo. Other love em though.

Quick Reply: Frustrations with BAK and the Roll-X