Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brake Issue after lift and 34" tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Issue after lift and 34" tires

I took my 2013 FX4 in last week to have bilstein 5100 put on with Fuel Maverick 20x9 00mm offset and Duratrac 285/65/20. So after they called and said the truck was ready to be picked up, I picked up the truck and while driving home I could hear the sound of the brakes rubbing. So I immediately called the shop and told them I needed to bring the truck back in to be looked at. Keep in mind before they did anything to the truck there was nothing wrong with the brakes. So after returning with the truck I went in the bay with them and they noticed that the front tires were almost locked up and they could barely move them with the truck up on the lift, same goes true with the rotors with the tires removed. So has anyone come across this before or knows what is wrong with the front brake system.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I'm extremely aggravated to say the least at this place that did the install.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:14 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Installer messed up!

Originally Posted by ecoboost37
I took my 2013 FX4 in last week to have bilstein 5100 put on with Fuel Maverick 20x9 00mm offset and Duratrac 285/65/20. So after they called and said the truck was ready to be picked up, I picked up the truck and while driving home I could hear the sound of the brakes rubbing. So I immediately called the shop and told them I needed to bring the truck back in to be looked at. Keep in mind before they did anything to the truck there was nothing wrong with the brakes. So after returning with the truck I went in the bay with them and they noticed that the front tires were almost locked up and they could barely move them with the truck up on the lift, same goes true with the rotors with the tires removed. So has anyone come across this before or knows what is wrong with the front brake system.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as I'm extremely aggravated to say the least at this place that did the install.

If your brakes were fine when you dropped of truck and broke when you picked up you don't have far to look for the problem. The installer must have done something, hope you paid them with a credit card. But more so I hope they find what they broke, and fix. Apparently they messed up somehow. Good luck, let us know what happened.

I had my local Ford dealer do a 1-1/2" AutoSprings level and put Toyo 34"s on mine a few weeks ago, no problems. But they do stock and install Rough Country Level kits and do this every few weeks.

Last edited by AbitaPro; 08-04-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Adding info.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by AbitaPro
If your brakes were fine when you dropped of truck and broke when you picked up you don't have far to look for the problem. The installer must have done something, hope you paid them with a credit card. But more so I hope they find what they broke, and fix. Apparently they messed up somehow. Good luck, let us know what happened.
I definitely paid with a credit card. The installer better have it fixed. I'm just aggravated when the installer tells me he didn't do anything to the brake system when he clearly messed something up.

There response was the larger wheels are causing the brake system to activate the ABS which in my opinion is incorrect. The two shouldn't have anything to do with one another.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Default Tire Upgrade & ABS

I definitely paid with a credit card. The installer better have it fixed. I'm just aggravated when the installer tells me he didn't do anything to the brake system when he clearly messed something up.

There response was the larger wheels are causing the brake system to activate the ABS which in my opinion is incorrect. The two shouldn't have anything to do with one another.

Well my son has 35"s and no problem, we both have stock wheels, do you? ABS may be affected, but I doubt you would hear your brakes engaged and rubbing. If you google F150 larger tires ABS, you will find some info., but nothimg like you describe occurred. Again good luck.

Last edited by AbitaPro; 08-04-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-04-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

There response was the larger wheels are causing the brake system to activate the ABS ...

Did they also tell you that you need some new blinker fluid? And that you need to come back in 5000 miles to have them change out the air in your tires?
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 PM

Wiggum I'm sure ecoboost37 has a sense of humor, but perhaps not at this moment. I hope his installer finds the problem and admits to their mistake, if they screwed up.

Any other time I'm sure your comments would be funny!
Old 08-04-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

Well it's obvious as can be - under the assumption that NOTHING was wrong prior to the recent install of the Bilsteins and new wheels/tires - that the installer did something wrong.

Did they disconnect the negative battery cable before messing with all that stuff?

Did they somehow screw w/ one of the brake lines/calipers and cause it to lock up?

Did they actually damage something by accident, and are trying to hide it and/or deny it?

Was it an accidental thing where they broke an ABS line, brake line, etc. and just need to find it and correct it?

OR ...

Could it be some pure and random coincidence?

The odds are heavily slanted in favor of the installer having screwed something up one way or another. The real "trick", I guess, is identifying the problem and being able to link the damage to one of the processes the installer went through to put the new coilovers/struts/shocks (whatever you prefer call them) on the truck.

Believe me, I hope as much as everyone else that the problem is identified, corrected by, and paid for by the installer - if they are indeed the one who caused it.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wiggum
Well it's obvious as can be - under the assumption that NOTHING was wrong prior to the recent install of the Bilsteins and new wheels/tires - that the installer did something wrong.

Did they disconnect the negative battery cable before messing with all that stuff?

Did they somehow screw w/ one of the brake lines/calipers and cause it to lock up?

Did they actually damage something by accident, and are trying to hide it and/or deny it?

Was it an accidental thing where they broke an ABS line, brake line, etc. and just need to find it and correct it?

OR ...

Could it be some pure and random coincidence?

The odds are heavily slanted in favor of the installer having screwed something up one way or another. The real "trick", I guess, is identifying the problem and being able to link the damage to one of the processes the installer went through to put the new coilovers/struts/shocks (whatever you prefer call them) on the truck.

Believe me, I hope as much as everyone else that the problem is identified, corrected by, and paid for by the installer - if they are indeed the one who caused it.
I hope they can identify the problem, but i know that 100% of this issue is the installers fault. Now my rotors are blue from over heating and their probably shot to hell. So once they fix the problem, they will have to issue me rotors and pads as well. I will keep you all posted. in the mean time if anyone has any idea what they did by all means voice your opinion.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 PM

Default Brake Problem - Found Issue Twisted Brake Line

I hope they can identify the problem, but i know that 100% of this issue is the installers fault. Now my rotors are blue from over heating and their probably shot to hell. So once they fix the problem, they will have to issue me rotors and pads as well. I will keep you all posted. in the mean time if anyone has any idea what they did by all means voice your opinion.
Ecoboost37 I checked with a friend who works on Fords everyday and it's just as I suspected, your installers kinked or twisted the front brake lines on one or both sides which engaged the brakes! Rotor and pad damage is likely!!

Good luck, Dave
Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Id have them agree to taking it to ypur ford dealer and them paying ford to look at theyre work! Then if ford determines something they did caused the issue, the installer pays ford to fix it. Rather than fing more up.

I had the same issue using Plaza Tire in Festus MO to install new struts and shocks, they Fd up my IWEs! Then payed ford to fix them, after theyre screw up! Cost em nearly 700.00 plus my rental 2015 f150 a additional 400.00!

I learned the hard way, to just go to the Ford dealer in the 1st place!

Last edited by Toddman38; 08-04-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Issue after lift and 34" tires