Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford service-"grumble"

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Ford service-"grumble"

So, Last week I brought my '13 F150 into Ford quicklane for it's fall oil change. All went well- nothing to complain about there. The "grumble" comes at the cashier- "that will be $50 for your oil change sir". I said "are you sure about that?". She said yes, so I paid it and left. A week later they called and asked my if I was "happy with my recent visit", and I told this person my tail of woe. She said:"$50 for an oil change?, Let me look into that". Next day the service manager calls and says:"Yup, that's what it costs nowadays, your truck takes 8 quarts of semi-synthetic oil, you know". I said:" yes, I know, but up until this trip, you have always charged me $30, or the changes were free". He said: "next time, make sure you have a coupon, or wait until we publish one, we have cutoff all the free-bees". I understand where he is coming from, but a little warning would be nice! In the mean time, he compted the oil change on the wife's Mustang(5.0, also 8 qts.), so it averaged out to $25 a piece, so I'm not pissed, but mebbie it's time to go back to doing my own oil changes- Biffylube ain't gonna touch either of my babies..............
Old 10-06-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

$50 doesn't seem to bad for an oil change, is it generally cheaper in your area?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by elfiero
So, Last week I brought my '13 F150 into Ford quicklane for it's fall oil change. All went well- nothing to complain about there. The "grumble" comes at the cashier- "that will be $50 for your oil change sir". I said "are you sure about that?". She said yes, so I paid it and left. A week later they called and asked my if I was "happy with my recent visit", and I told this person my tail of woe. She said:"$50 for an oil change?, Let me look into that". Next day the service manager calls and says:"Yup, that's what it costs nowadays, your truck takes 8 quarts of semi-synthetic oil, you know". I said:" yes, I know, but up until this trip, you have always charged me $30, or the changes were free". He said: "next time, make sure you have a coupon, or wait until we publish one, we have cutoff all the free-bees". I understand where he is coming from, but a little warning would be nice! In the mean time, he compted the oil change on the wife's Mustang(5.0, also 8 qts.), so it averaged out to $25 a piece, so I'm not pissed, but mebbie it's time to go back to doing my own oil changes- Biffylube ain't gonna touch either of my babies..............

By the time you buy the oil and filter, you'll be $30-$35 in. Not worth my time or hassle to do it myself to save $15. Less of a hassle on the truck but good luck crawling under the Mustang.

Then again, time is not something I have a lot to spare, always running my kids to practices or games, friends houses, etc. I'd much rather be watching my kids sports than crawling under my truck, especially in the winter.

You should see what Honda dealers around here charge...$90, 5 qts. Justification is that they check everything, rotate the tires and top off fluids. My response to them is that I can take to to Ford and have all that stuff done for half the cost.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I have no personal experience with the dealership as far as getting oil changes. I receive coupons from them from time to time, but the coupon is only for up to 5 qts. I've just always done them myself anyways. It still costs around me $40-$50 to do my own oil change. I buy 2 5qt jugs of Motorcraft syn blend 5w20 and fl500s filter from Walmart.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 395 Likes on 172 Posts

Last time I used Ford quicklane for an oil change I popped the hood when I got home just to check around and I found my oil cap sitting on top of the battery.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Was that with a tire rotation? If so, $55 is about the average around me for 8 quarts of semi-synthetic. But that does include tire rotation and 150 point inspection. $75 if you want to go full synthetic.

If you watch your mail, there usually is a $15 off dealership coupon.

Like said above, it cost about $45 just for the oil and filter if you do it yourself. With a coupon it is usually cheaper at the dealership, plus, you don't have to crawl under the truck, or have to carry the dirty oil back for disposal and you get the tires rotated to boot
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

My shop is around $75 for it and thats low for my area.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Iowa is $40 per change if you buy 3. Includes oil change, tire rotation, and car wash.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Ford has "The Works" which is an advertised "Suggested Retail Price" of $39.95, and often has a $10 mail in rebate. It includes synthetic blend oil change, brake inspection, filter check, tire rotation and pressure check, fluid top-off, battery test, belts and hose check, multi-point inspection, "and more".

That's up to 5 quarts of oil. Many dealers do charge for more quarts.

Also, while a dealer's website may have this package listed, make sure they honor the price - some dealers show the ad but price it higher, then point to the "Suggested Retail Price"...

You can get a free tire rotation from many tire dealers including Discount Tire. I don't let Ford do mine, and at Discount Tire I stand right outside the bay, or go in, and watch. First time at 9,200 miles and a year it took a large heavy plastic mallet to remove the bag two tires.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:10 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Wow and I was moaning over $40 for oil change and tire rotation, but thats with 6 quarts, not 8. Guess @$5 a quart it would be $50. I did my last change, only so that I know I can, and used 6 quarts Mobil 1 and Motorcraft filter. It still cost me $40, but its full synthetic too. Just wanted to see if it made any difference in MPG, and it didn't, plus my 5* tune introduced fuel into the oil so have to change it out early, so much for extended interval.

Quick Reply: Ford service-"grumble"