Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 04:39 PM
DBLX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Ford Remote Start?

Anyone add the Ford remote start? What type of programming is required? Is it just the keys?

TIA,
MJ
Old 07-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 217 Likes on 179 Posts

You need a module, a hood pin which may or may not be there and I think something else. Then it has to be activated either by a dealer or by using Forscan. Ford used to sell a nice kit but they have discontinued it so each individual part has to be purchased.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I got the original plug n play remote start a few years ago for my '14 before they discontinued the kit. It was nice because it was pretty cheap. Now you have to get the Perimeter Plus alarm module (includes shock sensor), plus the remote start antanea and fob. Plus the dealer still needs to activate it. They charged me $75 to do that. I've since upgraded to the bi-directional remote start for longer range and confirmation that the start was successful.

This explains what hardware you need. http://www.paulmachenry.com/document...MST%20Apps.pdf
Old 07-29-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Ford may show that certain remote start packages are discontinued but you can still find left over inventory on Amazon and Ebay.
I ordered a 200 series without the perimeter alarm this week, a setup that has been technically discontinued but still in stock. Copy the Ford part number and use it in your search to get exactly what you need or want.
Dealer activated it for $20.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bamorris2
I got the original plug n play remote start a few years ago for my '14 before they discontinued the kit. It was nice because it was pretty cheap. Now you have to get the Perimeter Plus alarm module (includes shock sensor), plus the remote start antanea and fob. Plus the dealer still needs to activate it. They charged me $75 to do that. I've since upgraded to the bi-directional remote start for longer range and confirmation that the start was successful.

This explains what hardware you need. http://www.paulmachenry.com/document...MST%20Apps.pdf
I've got this, and my remote is going out.

Tried new batteries, talked with a guy at the dealership while picking up some stuff....$65 for a new module and reprogram if its the electronics!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You can still buy the remote start kits.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/11-thru-14-F-...YAAOSwQJhUdhSK

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/11-thru-14-F-...IAAMXQ74JTWRG2

As previously stated you just plug in the antenna, cut the keys and activate the keys. You then take the truck to a dealer to activate the remote start feature in the truck. Should cost no more than 1/2 hour labour. If you have a Bluetooth odb2 module you could activate it yourself with the Forscan application and a laptop.
The following users liked this post:
TX 5.0 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cholywell
If you have a Bluetooth odb2 module you could activate it yourself with the Forscan application and a laptop.
Any key activation? I'd assume there is, but just want to make sure. And it's really that easy using FORScan? Last question, any idea if a tune would mess with this install/activation?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shrillsauce
Any key activation? I'd assume there is, but just want to make sure. And it's really that easy using FORScan? Last question, any idea if a tune would mess with this install/activation?
Custom tunes shouldn't have any effect. I'm not sure Forscan can activate the keys but I'm pretty sure it can do the remote start feature. If you don't already have an ODBII module it probably faster/cheaper just to take it to the dealer.

There is a big long Forscan thread here: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/forsca...ations-349018/

Forscan has built in preset options which makes some things easy. But all the rest of the options are more difficult. You need to decode hex values.

The key activation lets you start the truck and unlock the doors with the new keys. Not use the remote start. Once the keys are activated you activate the remote start feature in the computer. If you have two original keys you can use this method to activate the new keys: (Not my procedure, I found this on a previous post)

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off,
insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.

5. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Switch the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.

8. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds until you hear the door locks cycle.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. The key will start the engine if programming is successful. You can operate the remote entry system if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter.

If programming was not successful, wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8. If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.
The following users liked this post:
TX 5.0 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah I started digging through that thread. I ordered the recommended BT unit because I've got a cheapo one and I don't think it'd work. I'm gonna see if I can get this working in my driveway. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 PM
2014 fx4 5.0

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just had the OEM Ford remote start kit installed at the dealer in OKC a couple months ago. It was like $300, and it works with Sync and came with 2 keys, which oddly enough are like $190 each by themselves!

Quick Reply: Ford Remote Start?