Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights and high beams

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:28 AM
sig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fog lights and high beams

I would like to keep the fog lights on when the high beams are on. Can this be done on the 09's, and if so how can I do it?

The reason I want to do it is because when I turn on my high beams I loose a lot of short to mid range light. I don't think the fog lights will completely fix the problem but it would help.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

All vehicles are wired to do this. You would have to change the wiring to add the fogs to the high beams. As you know running high beams while in fog is kinda anti-productive.

I have only owned by 09 Platinum SCREW for a week now but find it interesting that I can turn my fog lights on with only the parking lights engaged. NEVER had a car or truck allow this!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish Ford would keep the low beams on when the high's come on - this was the design in the Nissan Titan I had - and it sure made a difference. I would elect not to use the fogs except when necessary as to preserve them for when they are truly needed. On my Nissan, I installed 2 hella 50 watt lights pointed down (as fog lights) mounted on an aftermarket bumper and wired on a separate switch. This allowed the fogs, high and low beams to be on at the same time. Really lit things up.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 PM
sig

Having the low beams and high beams on together would be more to the point but I am not asking for miracles. I put some brighter fog light bulbs in and they make a huge difference. I run them all the time. I am willing to pay the cost to use them.

you said you ran a switch so you could run the fog lights with the high beams. Could I do that with the switch that is in the dash. Or just bypass it so they are on when the lights are on.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sig
Having the low beams and high beams on together would be more to the point but I am not asking for miracles. I put some brighter fog light bulbs in and they make a huge difference. I run them all the time. I am willing to pay the cost to use them.

you said you ran a switch so you could run the fog lights with the high beams. Could I do that with the switch that is in the dash. Or just bypass it so they are on when the lights are on.
I had a separate switch in my Titan fo the fog lights. The pre-wiring was there for fog lights but my model did not come with them. All wiring was done separate.
It would probably be easiest for you to wire your own line and bypass the oem system entirely. Find a dummy plug somwhere to mount your switch or create your own location. Just be careful as if you wire direct, you can leave your fog lights on and drain your battery as I did on a few occastions.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 PM

Anyone notice that the high beams aren't that bright? The one on my 08 Silverado were much brighter. I barely see a difference between the high beams vs low with the fog lights.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
sig

Ya it is because it turns off the low beam filament when you turn on the high beam one.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:29 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I am somewhat dissapointed in my Platinum lighting, too.

Is there a bulb you can buy to replace what is there?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:23 PM
sig

I put in some Sylvania Silver Stars. H13 Headlights and 9145 Fog lights.

If you re position the fog lights correctly (factory positioning on mine was below where you can see the light from the cab) and put those brighter bulbs in then they are usable.

I also run my fog lights any time my lights are on (at least low beams).
Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
sig

also on the 9145's I have not had a problem with too much heat. I have been running them for almost a month and everything seams fine.

We are supposed to use 9140's which are 40W but I can find the Silver Stars in 9140 so went with 45W 9145.

Quick Reply: Fog lights and high beams