Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Trailer Brake Controller

Is the factory installed trailer brake controller all set to use from the factory. The brake controller connector harness is in the glove box. Do I need to connect the harness to use the controller?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Dude, yer late to the party...

There's a thread in this forum (sse link) that's been going since January. Lots of great info, most of which you won't be pleased with when you find out it's not quite as simple as plug-n-play.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/brake-controller-16716/
Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by lorax
Is the factory installed trailer brake controller all set to use from the factory. The brake controller connector harness is in the glove box. Do I need to connect the harness to use the controller?
The answer is yes. They put a harness in all trucks weather they need it or not. I bought a Lariot with the factory controller and I had the harness in the glove box. I asked the salesman about it and he said it is extra, you don't need it.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

To be more specific (since I didn't really answer your question from the first post), the harness in your glove box is used to mate the factory brake-controller wiring harness installed in your truck and located behind the dash panel to the right of the steering column (see the etrailer video on 2009 F150 BC installation) to an aftermarket brake controller, such as the Tekonsha Prodigy or similar product. If you are purchasing the Ford OEM brake controller, the existing wiring harness connects directly to the controller plug.

See the previously linked thread for instructions on how to activate the OEM brake controller.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Lorax it was factory installed? then it should be ready you might just install the relay to charge your trailers battery if needed

Quick Reply: Factory Trailer Brake Controller