Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150LED Side Step LED Kit

Old 05-28-2016, 11:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default F150LED Side Step LED Kit

Would it be chaper to just get the leds from eBay than to buy the kit?!

I ask because I just installed an led bar behind the grill (bough from ebay) and had to do some cutting here and there in order to make it fit. Also bought one for the lower portion but that one does not fit at all. Will have to make my own brackets and do some cutting too. It's becoming a pain. And I haven't even started with the backup lights.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 12:19 AM
FDT

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by IHCHAVEZ
Would it be chaper to just get the leds from eBay than to buy the kit?!

I ask because I just installed an led bar behind the grill (bough from ebay) and had to do some cutting here and there in order to make it fit. Also bought one for the lower portion but that one does not fit at all. Will have to make my own brackets and do some cutting too. It's becoming a pain. And I haven't even started with the backup lights.

Thanks
I bought a 16.4' strip of LED lights from eBay and wired them up myself. Cost me $8.99 for the strip

The following users liked this post:
IHCHAVEZ (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:22 AM

Looking good man. A few question:

1. how hard was it to mount the lower LED bar?!
2. Do you know which cables to tap into the harnes?!
3. Did you use rtv silicone?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 12:29 AM
FDT

Looking good man. A few question:

1. how hard was it to mount the lower LED bar?!
2. Do you know which cables to tap into the harnes?!
3. Did you use rtv silicone?

Thanks
Lower LED bar is an eyourlife 20". I used the tabs at the top of the opening where the front plate would normally sit, so that was pretty easy.

What year is your truck? I tapped the wires so they'll come on during unlock or when I turn the cargo/dome light on.

The LED strips had the sticky backing, but I put a thin layer of shoe goo down first. It's more pliable than rtv or silicone and easier to remove if needed, but holds really strong.

I used the first post in this link to find the wire to tap into.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/led-do...amples-193953/

Last edited by fseries54303; 05-29-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 05-29-2016, 12:45 AM

I bought a 22" hence why I'm having so many problems.. Hmmm.. Might have to get a smaller on then..

It's a 2013. Just looked at the thread, looks simple. Shoe goo eh!? Sounds good, will try it.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2016, 03:16 PM
FDT

I bought a 22" hence why I'm having so many problems.. Hmmm.. Might have to get a smaller on then..

It's a 2013. Just looked at the thread, looks simple. Shoe goo eh!? Sounds good, will try it.

Thanks
People have mounted 22" ones in that opening, but I believe they removed the bread loaves (black bumper covers) and had to trim them some.

I used shoe goo since its more pliable/flexible than silicone. It's held strong so far, and I've gone through car washes and deep puddles without issues.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by fseries54303
People have mounted 22" ones in that opening, but I believe they removed the bread loaves (black bumper covers) and had to trim them some.

I used shoe goo since its more pliable/flexible than silicone. It's held strong so far, and I've gone through car washes and deep puddles without issues.

Yeah I figured that cutting is needed. Still having issues with the brackets.

I bought it at walmart. Will install it tomorrow and post pictures
Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 PM

Not sure how you guys did it but shoe goo sucks majorly, not to mention the sucks *** glue from the led strip. Even bought rtv silicone and it's even worse. Something so simple. Any tipS to get that **** glued!?
Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 PM
FDT

Not sure how you guys did it but shoe goo sucks majorly, not to mention the sucks *** glue from the led strip. Even bought rtv silicone and it's even worse. Something so simple. Any tipS to get that **** glued!?
I put the shoe goo (red tube) on the truck body itself and let it cure for about 5 minutes, then pulled the backing off the strip and pressed it into the goo. Gotta hold it there and squish out the excess shoe goo. Was a 72° day when I did mine.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by fseries54303
I put the shoe goo (red tube) on the truck body itself and let it cure for about 5 minutes, then pulled the backing off the strip and pressed it into the goo. Gotta hold it there and squish out the excess shoe goo. Was a 72° day when I did mine.
Did you put a lot of it onto the truck?! The one I bought came without the little funnel so I was using my finger..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F150LED Side Step LED Kit