Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f150 differential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f150 differential?

Hello guys I am new in this forum and I wanted to ask some questions.
Recently I bought a new 2013 platinum ecoboost F150, it has no more than 2000 miles.
last month I realized that my truck has an open differential and 3.31 gears, and its because I am not from US I live in Chile and that is standard here.
the truck is awsome but if want to go off road? the open differential it isnt good for that. So Im thinking in buying a new differential.
Which differential would you recomend me LSD, Truetrack, e-locker...
I will be 95 % of the year on the city and the other 5% I will go to the beach(in summer) and the snow(in winter) for sking.

PD sorry if my english is bad, I speak spanish.

Last edited by matiasb; 03-16-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

your best bet for a simple & cheap locker would be a "lunch box" locker. no need to replace your gear set if you don't need too.

contact the people are either;
http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/lockright.html
or
http://www.aussielocker.com/index.php/

they "should" have what you need, even if they don't show it on their site for that year, the rear ends haven't changed too much for a little while.

if you choose to replace the gear set (if you get bigger tires, a new gear set would be beneficial) then you can still use the locker.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I would strongly advise against a lunchbox locker in the rear of any daily driver, especially anything with larger tires or any decent power. The on road behavior sucks and the locking pins are extremely weak. Being into rock crawling, I know dozens of people who have ran them, myself included. They always change then later due to failure. I currently run Detroit lockers in my jeep. For a daily driver, I would suggest a selectable locker such as the e locker or arb air locker. It will allow you to run an open diff on the road and have a full locker (essentially a spool) at the switch of a button. They are strong, but costly, and in my opinion, the only way to go.

Any auto locker such as a Detroit or powertrax lock right will cause excessive tire wear on the street as well as lots of ratcheting and popping around most corners.
The following 3 users liked this post by 100:
Grandpa's Grocery Getter (03-16-2013), matiasb (05-04-2013), RES4CUE (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a true trac in my 08 silverado. very nice on road and good offroad.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

In addition to what others have posted .....

-IF- you opt to change the rear axle ratio, you will also need to change the front axle ratio to match.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for your opinions. But where I can find an aftermarket e-locker?, can I ask my dealer to instal the one that ford offers in the offroad pack?

I wont change the axle ratio beacause the fuel is very expensive, the premium fuel cost 6,5 dolars the gallon.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

I second the EATON True-trac carrier - lots of traction, perfect road manners, and no clutches to wear out. It isn't cheap though - around $500 for the carrier, plus paying a Ford Guru to install it.
The following users liked this post:
matiasb (05-04-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 100
I would strongly advise against a lunchbox locker in the rear of any daily driver, especially anything with larger tires or any decent power. The on road behavior sucks and the locking pins are extremely weak. Being into rock crawling, I know dozens of people who have ran them, myself included. They always change then later due to failure. I currently run Detroit lockers in my jeep. For a daily driver, I would suggest a selectable locker such as the e locker or arb air locker. It will allow you to run an open diff on the road and have a full locker (essentially a spool) at the switch of a button. They are strong, but costly, and in my opinion, the only way to go.

Any auto locker such as a Detroit or powertrax lock right will cause excessive tire wear on the street as well as lots of ratcheting and popping around most corners.
while I agree a selectable is a great option, it is also costly, I have DD'd an Aussie (& a Detroit) and had no problems with either. The Detroit was a little more noticeable "tire chirping" wise, but neither caused excessive tire wear, and that was in a short wheel base Jeep Cherokee. The longer wheel base of a truck should make it even less of a factor.

If cheap & simple is what the OP is after, a lunch-box checks both those boxes.
But if they want to spend about $1500+ (unless then can install their own gears) an ARB, OX, or E-locker would be nice to have. Also check out the Yukon ZIP, not sure if they have a locker out for the 9.75" yet tho.

Any chance the OP could order a factory rear end with the locking dif option? and how much would that swap be $$??
matiasb (05-04-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Any particular recommendations for a front Diff? Im fairly new to the truck game but I was surprised to learn that my FX4 has an open diff up front. At some point I was thinking of putting a Trutrac or E locker up there. The Raptor runs a torsen IIRC. Is the front diff an 8.8? What about spline count? I just think its kind of a waste to have 4WD but run an open diff thats going to power the wheel with the least traction.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
2011 Lariat Screw EB

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

You're forgetting you have One Wheel Spin Control. I have an open differential also. Put one wheel on gravel and one on pavement, hit the gas, there will be a black mark and gravel everywhere. The abs slows one wheel enough for the other one to get traction. It's sort of an electronic limited slip. Only inhibited when the brakes get hot enough OWSC will turn off. I just went to the back end of my land in 4 wheel through a foot and a half of snow. My bumper was pushing snow. Had absolutely no problems.
matiasb (05-04-2013)

Quick Reply: f150 differential?