Exhuast on 14' SCREW 5.0 - Page 2 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Exhuast on 14' SCREW 5.0

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
ns_redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: mississagua on canada
Posts: 2,791
Thanked 337 Times in 289 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony86 View Post
do you have a video of your exhaust? or a clip somewhere that you used to make your decision?
no but i will see if i can make one later. if i can figure out how to post it is another story. lol
ns_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #12
Member
 
Alamo_Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 60
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I have a flowmaster 40 series SI/DO with both tailpipes exiting behing the right/rear wheel similar to the raptors and Harley F150. My truck is a 2013 F150 with 5.0. I also removed the resonator.

At lower RPMs (1000-2500) the truck has an aggressive and strong tone, classic "flowmaster" sound. At higher RPMs and at highway speeds the sound is bearable (in my opinion) and not obnoxious. Turning the radio up 1/2 way mostly drowns out any outside noise and exhaust sound making for a nice ride. I do alot of highway driving for long distances, the 40 series with dual outlets and no resonator gave me exactly what I was looking for: deep/strong sound at low RPM and a relatively quiet ride at highway speeds.

The only "drone" I might be able to comment on is the exhaust sound/tone at lower RPMs. You will hear the exhaust inside the cab at lower speeds 30-45mph and 1000-2500 RPM, but I wouldn't use the word "drone" to describe the sound IMO.

I had an exhaust shop custom build mine and have 3.5" tips.
Alamo_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alamo_Jake For This Useful Post:
Anthony86 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 02:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 144
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Jake View Post
I have a flowmaster 40 series SI/DO with both tailpipes exiting behing the right/rear wheel similar to the raptors and Harley F150. My truck is a 2013 F150 with 5.0. I also removed the resonator.

At lower RPMs (1000-2500) the truck has an aggressive and strong tone, classic "flowmaster" sound. At higher RPMs and at highway speeds the sound is bearable (in my opinion) and not obnoxious. Turning the radio up 1/2 way mostly drowns out any outside noise and exhaust sound making for a nice ride. I do alot of highway driving for long distances, the 40 series with dual outlets and no resonator gave me exactly what I was looking for: deep/strong sound at low RPM and a relatively quiet ride at highway speeds.

The only "drone" I might be able to comment on is the exhaust sound/tone at lower RPMs. You will hear the exhaust inside the cab at lower speeds 30-45mph and 1000-2500 RPM, but I wouldn't use the word "drone" to describe the sound IMO.

I had an exhaust shop custom build mine and have 3.5" tips.
thanks Jake for the info!
this is good info...i'm ok with hearing the exhaust in those low rpm's.

now question is...do i go with the 40 or the 44?
i think the 44 is just a little louder?
Anthony86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
Member
 
Alamo_Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 60
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony86 View Post
thanks Jake for the info!
this is good info...i'm ok with hearing the exhaust in those low rpm's.

now question is...do i go with the 40 or the 44?
i think the 44 is just a little louder?
Glad to offer my opinion/experience!

I wouldn't know 44 series vs 40 series unfortunately. The 40 series was what my exhaust shop recommended and carried in stock (it was also a certified flowmaster dealer IIRC). I really like my set up. Louder and more aggressive than the stock muffler/resonator, great tone and bearable volume levels at highway speeds.
Alamo_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 839
Thanked 86 Times in 81 Posts
Default

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-borla-muffler-226512/

I went with borla.

with 3" pipeing all the way thru and ened up putin res. back in place
BRUTE448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
zacharyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali
Posts: 659
Thanked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Leave resonator on!!! I've had flowmaster and magna flow and they both drone like crazy with no resonator
zacharyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #17
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 144
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTE448 View Post
thanks Brute.
i think this sounds pretty good....but maybe not quite loud enough for my taste
Anthony86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 144
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Well fellas....still trying to make up my mind on the exhaust.

its between:
1. Flowmaster 40 SIDO with resonator delete (dual exits 45 degree angle exit behind wheels)
2. Magnaflow 14" SIDO 12198 with resonator delete (same dual exit setup as FM)

im not that worried about drone...Ive never had a V8 before..so im all about feeling and hearing it.
its just hard to tell which one is louder at idle..and has a more aggressive sound.
Anthony86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #19
Member
 
Alamo_Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 60
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony86 View Post
Well fellas....still trying to make up my mind on the exhaust.

its between:
1. Flowmaster 40 SIDO with resonator delete (dual exits 45 degree angle exit behind wheels)
2. Magnaflow 14" SIDO 12198 with resonator delete (same dual exit setup as FM)

im not that worried about drone...Ive never had a V8 before..so im all about feeling and hearing it.
its just hard to tell which one is louder at idle..and has a more aggressive sound.
I'm not familiar with the magnaflow muffler, but one thing to consider is the internal construction of the muffler. The flowmaster is chambered and welded, no internal parts to wear out over time or change in tone. That's one reason I liked flowmaster mufflers so much. My old truck is a 2003 F150 with the 4.6, put a 40 series SIDO muffler and have run it that way for 9yrs now. Still sounds as good as it did the first day. No fiberglass packing in the flowmaster, so it never changes in tone/sound and won't collect moisture and rust.
Alamo_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Azuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,744
Thanked 474 Times in 330 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony86 View Post
Well fellas....still trying to make up my mind on the exhaust.

its between:
1. Flowmaster 40 SIDO with resonator delete (dual exits 45 degree angle exit behind wheels)
2. Magnaflow 14" SIDO 12198 with resonator delete (same dual exit setup as FM)

im not that worried about drone...Ive never had a V8 before..so im all about feeling and hearing it.
its just hard to tell which one is louder at idle..and has a more aggressive sound.


I see you've narrowed your choices between the two manufactures and I'm sure price point is valid concern for you. To say you're not "worried about drone" seems to me that you're not familiar with what it is. If you have to do any long trips in the truck and have to be subjected to drone for hours you're next truck will stay stock exhaust, lol.

Consider all your options IMO, Solo, Roush, Borla. Spend a few extra dollars to get a better designed product with better materials if you plan on having your truck for a long time.

You say you want to hear your V8 consider Borla. I've posted my "Atak" version which some may think is to aggressive for them but they offer even two more models less aggressive the "Touring" and the "S-Type". Check them all out.


Azuri is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Confirmation Honk. cvdberg13 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 36 10-13-2015 06:20 AM
Hello, and disappointing service story...very! And, it's a long read...I apologize. Cobrajett 2015 - Present Ford F150 6 09-11-2015 10:30 PM
Several small issues with 2015..and my expience thus far. treepoint5zero 2015 - Present Ford F150 1 09-10-2015 06:34 PM
Wheel suggestions??? Coulter 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 6 09-10-2015 04:12 AM
Transmission Gear indicator GearHead84 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 8 09-09-2015 10:55 AM


Tags
5.0 exhaust, exhaust, flowmaster

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com