Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exaust systems and tuners??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:59 PM
coleman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exaust systems and tuners??

looking to do an exhaust system on my 2014 FX4 5.0. I have done systems before on my old trucks but I'm trying to decide if I want to go all out and do headers or just throw on a flowmaster and make a side pipe up. long tubes run about $1400 and the ones I found are full length and come into a y-pipe at the end. shorties run 4-500$. any opinion on which way to go with the choice between the two or just run a new muffler? also, are any of you running a programmer on your trucks? what are you running and how do you like it? I want more power and sound out of my truck, she's too quiet! any input is helpful!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 136 Likes on 119 Posts

If you use the "search" function on the site it'll direct you to much of what you are seeking.
As far as more power and sound...I think there is a lot to be said for quiet trucks, doesn't mean they are of any less power. I used to believe that loud meant more power but in my years I have come to think ppl make their truck loud because they have little else to offer...much like Dodge trucks. They are of no real value to the quality truck market, at least not per sales numbers, so they should at least get noticed if for nothing more than noise. There are some great exhaust systems that will be quiet (low drone) only until you shove your foot in the carburetor and they will come to life. Speaking of quality...Flowmaster is of the low quality but loud systems some of your higher quality such as a SS Borla system might have a bit more to offer but at a higher premium.
In comparison, a tuner will be best bang for your buck... headers and a good exhaust will set you back a few thousand $ but if you compare the HP/$ spent you'll see its close to the disappointing end of the spectrum.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Exhaust systems are about how much you want to fork over. More money usually less drone and built out of better steel. But buy them for the looks and sound. Don't expect performance.

Get a tuner and you'll notice a performance bump. Combined, it will make any aftermarket exhaust sound even better.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I pulled the whisper quiet muffler off of my 3.7L and put a Magnaflow straight through stainless muffler and have it exit before the passenger side rear tire. It sounds decent. Somewhere between grumpy Allis-Chalmers and angry bumble bees (being a V6 and all). No change in fuel economy, and I didn't expect a change. The factory exhaust is excellent as is, in the department of flow.

I'm also running tunes from 5 Star on a SCT x4 programmer. From the factory I couldn't do a burnout on dry pavement. The low end torque was absolutely horrendous.
With the tunes from 5 Star, I can roast the tires fairly easily. If I put it to the boards, it shifts from 2 to 3 at about 70 and will break the tires loose. It's a night and day difference. The shifts are much more firm and the truck doesn't shift so early and make you lug it out. I wouldn't hesitate to get a programmer and tunes from 5 Star.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

I also have a 2014 FX4 5.0 and just installed the MBRP, (http://mbrpautomotive.com/index.php?...&part=S5230409), 3" from Cat back "2011-2014 Ford F-150 3" Cat Back, Single Side Exit, T409 single exhaust behind the rear tire"

Part # S5230409

Got it on sale for $419.00 and it sounds awesome!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

ive read alot from 04-14 and consensus is straight thru is better, vs a chambered flow master. not much to gain but if theres anything to be had its not with a chambered muffler.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/new-borla-muffler-226512/

^ my borla write up