Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Engine Code

Just went to leave for the store and my check engine light came on. 2011 F150 5.0 with 1300 miles, read the code and its P0023, any insight on this before I take it to the dealer? We have all data at work but its not updated for 2011 yet.

Edit found a website and it listed this:
A P0020 code refers to the VVT (variablevalvetiming) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module). That consists of an oil control valve (OCV), also called a solenoid valve and other components. Basically the check engine light and associated P0020 trouble code means that the voltage in the circuit has fallen below a set limit for a specific amount of time (varies by make/model/engine). Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesn't contain cylinder #1.

A code P0020 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
  • Open or short in the VVT/VCT circuit
  • Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve
  • Damaged computer (PCM)
I'm hoping it isnt a damaged computer, as I have a tune on the truck and all the talk about them being able to track it. If it is I guess lesson learned but I have only been running the 87 economy tune thats it. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited by bowlergt; 05-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
2011 FX4 Screw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bowlergt
Just went to leave for the store and my check engine light came on. 2011 F150 5.0 with 1300 miles, read the code and its P0023, any insight on this before I take it to the dealer? We have all data at work but its not updated for 2011 yet.

Edit found a website and it listed this:
A P0020 code refers to the VVT (variablevalvetiming) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module). That consists of an oil control valve (OCV), also called a solenoid valve and other components. Basically the check engine light and associated P0020 trouble code means that the voltage in the circuit has fallen below a set limit for a specific amount of time (varies by make/model/engine). Bank 2 is the side of the engine that doesn't contain cylinder #1.

A code P0020 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
  • Open or short in the VVT/VCT circuit
  • Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve
  • Damaged computer (PCM)
I'm hoping it isnt a damaged computer, as I have a tune on the truck and all the talk about them being able to track it. If it is I guess lesson learned but I have only been running the 87 economy tune thats it. Anyone have any insight?

Code p0023 means: Exhaust Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit/Open(bank 2)

Possible Causes:
Open or Short on the VCT Circuit
Open VPWR Circuit
Open or Short in the VCT Solenoid
This is coming straight from the Ford Book, my guess is that you have a bad exhaust VCT solenoid on the Drivers side of the motor
Old 05-22-2011, 04:39 PM

Put my truck back to stock tune wise, cleared the code and it hasn't come back on yet. Going to drive it and see if it does, if it does its going to the dealer. Also found out my sct tuner had an update so I installed that but I'll wait to put the tune back on.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:18 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread....but out of curiosity, who is your tune from?
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Looks like my trucks going into the dealer, light came back on when I went to start it just to pull it into the garage. 2011bluescrew I'm going to wait to see what the dealer says.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 PM

I was just wondering who did your tuning. I wasn't implying that the tune caused the CEL and code to pop up.

Keep us posted...

Quick Reply: Engine Code