Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine braking in tow/haul mode - scary 4000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine braking in tow/haul mode - scary 4000 rpm

When using tow/haul mode I find that the electronic engine braking is simply too much. Tap on the brakes a few times while descending even the slightest grade in Drive and suddenly the engine roars to 4000 rpm. Is there something wrong with my new '09 f150 or have others experienced this too?

I bought the truck mostly for towing a landscape trailer. Got the 4.6 liter 3 valve with 6-speed electronic automatic transmission, 3.55 rear, and tow package. Rated to tow 8400 lbs and I tow an actual 5500 lbs. The electronic engine braking is set up to work only when in tow/haul mode and only with gear selector in drive but that is how I tow. When going downhill and applying the brakes the engine roars to 4000 rpm as the electronic transmission does its own downshifting. It is so suddenly loud. The first couple times I thought that I was inadvertently hitting the gas pedal while applying the brakes. I would never accelerate my truck at 4000 rpm why should the engine race at 4000 rpm while braking? It is so disconcerting that I have learned to avoid it on steeper grades by manually downshifting to 3rd which I would do anyway in my old truck on steeper descents. But that engine braking occurs even on gradual descents or when braking a little harder like for a red light.

Anybody else experienced their engine suddenly racing at 4000 rpm like this while towing and braking? Should I have the dealer check the computers or is this horrendous engine braking "normal"?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

4000 is not hurting that motor, it can handle alot more than that. It does sound like the transmission is shifting all the way to second. Check the owners manual and see what it says about that.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Puzzled, you mention tapping on the brakes a few times. I seem to remember on the superdutys that the tranny will down shift every time you apply the brakes as long as it won't overrev the engine.Perhaps you are doing this. I havn't had the opportunity to use my towhaul feature yet but now I'm curious.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Default Scary downshifting

I think this is normal for the 09 F150. The same thing happened to me the 4000 rpm while I was towing a trailer through the hills of Vermont and I thought what the hell is happening here. It seems to happen when you are descending a big hill (speed doesnt seem to matter) and you apply the brakes to slow down.

I looked in the manual page 290 and it states "Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downsfift, slow the vehicle and control the speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed."

So what I'm thinking is that this is a safety feature if you get in an emergency braking situation where youve got a big load behind you, youre coming down a hill and you break really hard. The transmission must drop down to second gear like someone else said to give you additional engine braking.
I'm guessing that you need to be very careful how hard you tap the brakes when youre going down big hills. Maybe a slight tap will only downshift one gear (I dont know for sure, but next time I will try it).
Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 PM

That's exactly what's going on. Tapping the brake while descending a hill makes it automatically downshift.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzled2009
When using tow/haul mode I find that the electronic engine braking is simply too much. Tap on the brakes a few times while descending even the slightest grade in Drive and suddenly the engine roars to 4000 rpm. Is there something wrong with my new '09 f150 or have others experienced this too?

I think this assessment is an overstatement.

I use my tow haul mode quite frequently in the mountains in my area, both with a 21' boat in tow and or just a load of passengers.

I love the way this trans performs and I really appreciate the transmission assisted braking of my truck on downgrades.

Again, there is nothing "scary" about my new F150. The T/H function is not "too much", nor does my engine "roar".

I bought a 'truck', not an economy sedan.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new tow/haul mode for the 09's/10's will downshift if you tap the brakes.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am I understanding this scenario correctly, while in the tow/haul mode, tapping the brakes signals the trans to down shift? Is this only with the 6 speed tranny? Sounds like a winner to me. But at the same time, it could be alarming.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

One dealership that I went to gave me DVD which Ford made, a marketing piece really, that went through many comparisons between Ford, GM, Toyota, Dodge. I recall watching a segment about downshifting/sway control. Tapping the breaks twice initiates downshifting and/or hitting the T/G button then tapping twice, engages sway control. I did not see this in my manual, but I recall watching it. I'll see if I can figure out if I can upload this somehow.

I think, therefore, that this is normal. 4000 RPM is not a prob. 6000 might be, but there is an electronic over-rev mechanism built in that will shut down the engine if it over revs.

S
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 AM

Default It suddenly roars to 4000 rpm in a 25 mph neighborhood

There I am doing my contractor/landscape trailer towing through a 25 mph residential neighborhood. So I am coasting along down a slight grade and tap the brakes a couple times as I approach a stop sign or a sharp turn. The engine suddenly roars to 4000 rpm (at 15 mph) and all heads turn wondering why the driver of the new pickup truck is racing the engine. Its embarassing and is VERY LOUD. May not seem loud going down a mountain road but it sure is in a sleepy suburbia neighborhood. Literally all heads turn at the sudden loud engine roar (of a truck going 15 mph). I might compare it to a tractor trailer brake retarder sudden noise, though not that loud. I have learned to disable it, (sometimes every couple minutes)to avoid the roar by either manually downshifting or pressing the button to get out of tow/haul mode. The other way to avoid the noise is to ride the brakes to a stop rather than tapping/pumping them because the loud electronic downshifting kicks in only after thhe second tap. BTW, in the above 25 mph example it is downshifting to 1st gear.

Quick Reply: Engine braking in tow/haul mode - scary 4000 rpm