Electric Power Steering EPAS fluid? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Electric Power Steering EPAS fluid?

Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Default Electric Power Steering EPAS fluid?

Strange thing happened. After having truck parked all weekend there was about a 1 foot by 3 foot oil slick under it. Completely clear, oily, no smell. Not motor oil, not transmission fluid, not coolant. It seemed to be dripping from the EPAS and the shield below it. Cold and darks out so did not look real close. Drove it the next day about 40 miles to have a mechanic look at it and give me the bad news. Mechanic put it on the lift and there was no sign of a leak!?! Drove another 50 miles no trouble.

Steering is working fine, but I am concerned that whatever magic oil is supposed to be inside the magic EPAS box is gone, and it will die soon. Anyone else seen anything like this? Any other ideas what the fluid could be if not from the EPAS? Is there a hydraulic engine mount hidden under there somewhere? I'm stumped...
TheBurnerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #2

Has been nearly a week, and steering is still completely normal. Have no idea what the fluid could have been from other than the rack, but it is still working...
Old 01-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Front dif (if you have one) maybe? I had read that the EPAS rack had transmission fluid in it, so yeah I guess it could be that you're seeing.
paintballdude05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintballdude05 For This Useful Post:
TheBurnerGuy (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

Thanks Paintball. Mine is just 2 wheel drive. The fluid seemed kind of like transmission fluid but looked clear, no pink or red I could see when dabbed with paper towel. Transmission fluid would make sense for a sealed up gear box like that. Everything still working fine, and no more leaks. I'm stumped. If it needs to be filled with fluid surprised it would still be working.

It got below freezing when it leaked. Only other thing that I can think is that the cold made it leak a little, and then it stopped. That was coldest weather this Texas truck has ever seen.