Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ecoboost + Lift + Tune??

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Ecoboost + Lift + Tune??

hey all, I've lurked and read on this site for a little while regarding lifts and mpg's and all that good stuff. I've got a 13' fx2 that I've always contemplated lifting and putting bigger tires on. Just to look more aggressive and tackle some rough patches of grass in LOL!! My truck is a daily driver and some days I avg over 100+ miles a day, so that's mostly why I hadn't dived head first into a lift. I thought it wasn't practical...eve though 80% of my driving is highway. My boy is about to get a silverado or denali and lift it so I don't want to be outdone. Right now I avg about 19.3 mpg (according to onboard computer). I understand with a lift and bigger tires, that is going to drop. I'm not sure whether it will be a dramatic drop or just 1.5-2mpg. From reading different posts on here, it looks like it varies. Now, to counteract that, can I get a tune? Would a tune help out at all so the loss in mpg's isn't AS bad or is there a possibility that I may gain a few mpg's? Is a setup like this accommodating for a truck that does so many hwy miles? I just kind of want to make an informed decision and not do any long term harm to the truck. I've read where the turbos have to work harder to move the extra weight so I don't want to have to replace my engine!
Fx2AllBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

What gearing does your truck have?

I just put a 4" on mine but only running stock size tires for now and running highway still see 19+ Mpg (4x4 Long bed Screw) but my truck is rarely driven like yours lol maybe once a month I will drive it to work which is 186 KM round trip.

I have 3.31 gears and will be going to a tire diameter of 33.5 and expect to see a 2-3 MPG loss overall with no tune and hope to gain 1 MPG back with a tune (87 P/tow tune).

I'd expect no better than 16-17 MPG.
winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winchested For This Useful Post:
Fx2AllBlack (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Bjl
Member
 
Bjl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have an 09 with a 5.4L 3.55 gears platinum screw with 5.5ft box. No lift but leveled with 35-1250-20s, magnaflow cat back exhaust, gotts mod, and sct x4 with 5star custom tunes. With the 87octane performance/tow I am getting just over 16mpg at 75 on the interstate and the truck drives better then it ever did stock. Your ecoboost should do better then that. Especially if you don't go up to a 35"tire. But personally...I don't think you can see a significant enough change in look unless you go to 35 or bigger for it to be worth the price for the tires. Just my opinion.
Bjl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bjl For This Useful Post:
Fx2AllBlack (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchested View Post
What gearing does your truck have?

I just put a 4" on mine but only running stock size tires for now and running highway still see 19+ Mpg (4x4 Long bed Screw) but my truck is rarely driven like yours lol maybe once a month I will drive it to work which is 186 KM round trip.

I have 3.31 gears and will be going to a tire diameter of 33.5 and expect to see a 2-3 MPG loss overall with no tune and hope to gain 1 MPG back with a tune (87 P/tow tune).

I'd expect no better than 16-17 MPG.
Aactually, I'm unsure what my gearing is. How can I tell or check? I don't expect to put bigger than 35's on mine.
Fx2AllBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjl View Post
I have an 09 with a 5.4L 3.55 gears platinum screw with 5.5ft box. No lift but leveled with 35-1250-20s, magnaflow cat back exhaust, gotts mod, and sct x4 with 5star custom tunes. With the 87octane performance/tow I am getting just over 16mpg at 75 on the interstate and the truck drives better then it ever did stock. Your ecoboost should do better then that. Especially if you don't go up to a 35"tire. But personally...I don't think you can see a significant enough change in look unless you go to 35 or bigger for it to be worth the price for the tires. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the info. So it is feasible to consider a minor lift with bigger tires and still get decent mpg's with an 87 oct tune. Is a tune enough or do you think an intake/exhaust setup would help out a little better? I plan to have a little fun off-road, but nothing too serious since I'm 2wd. But mostly daily driving up and down the highway
Fx2AllBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Intake and exhaust are purely noise IMO.

Your drivers door sticker has a 2 digit Axle code. Look at it and post it or match it up

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf
winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchested View Post
Intake and exhaust are purely noise IMO.

Your drivers door sticker has a 2 digit Axle code. Look at it and post it or match it up

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf
The code is L3, which corresponds to the 3.31 gearing.
Fx2AllBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

There you go so if you want to retain your mileage for your daily driving I'd probably stick with 33's.
winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winchested For This Useful Post:
Fx2AllBlack (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchested View Post
There you go so if you want to retain your mileage for your daily driving I'd probably stick with 33's.
Cool, thanks! So you think the ideal setup would be a 2"-2.5" lift and 33's? And a tune to negate the loss in mpg's? Are there real differences in the tunes? I don't tow or anything like that, so I'm assuming a regular 87 oct tune should suffice?
Fx2AllBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 65 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

That's all I'm doing 34s or 305/65r18 and an 87 tune likely 5 star with my 4". But she ain't a daily driver like yours.
winchested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.