Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost- Fuel in Oil, how much is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Ecoboost- Fuel in Oil, how much is normal?

2014 F150 EcoBoost, 3600 Miles

I know that this has been discussed on other threads but I am starting a new one.

So there are a lot of folks on this forum that will say fuel in oil in direct injection engines is normal and you are going to have it. So what level is normal? What level is not going to be a problem and not compromise the lubricating properties of the oil. At 400 miles I had an extreme rise of the level on the stick (about an inch). That did go down. At 1600 at had the TSB performed. The fuel percentage, tested by flash point was 7%. The oil did not some up as far after this but did come up, maybe 1/4 inch. At 3200 miles I had a second oil change and again had an analysis done and it was 6% fuel. Both tests showed the viscosity of the oil was greatly compromised. The only time in the life of this truck that the oil has not had a STRONG smell of fuel is after the 20 mile drive home from this change. Right now the oil smells very strong of fuel and is above the full mark by 1/4 to 3/8 inch. It was right on the mark after the change.

The service manager will not say this is normal and will not say that it is not normal. The regional service rep says that he can't do a thing since the service manager has not verified that there is a problem.

And by the way- I DO KNOW HOW TO CHECK MY OIL!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

If you do then you would check it cold before the first start in the morning or after having been sat for a few hours on a level surface.

If you're really worried about it buy a catch can.

Never had this fuel issue (rising oil) but my catch can is always full of what looks and smells like fuel.

Change your oil at 4-5K use full synthetic and DRIVE YOUR TRUCK. The sky is not falling.

And if it still rises and has high fuel content then your high pressure fuel pump is likely leaking at the shaft seal into the head.

I'm sure this question was answered in one or more of the other threads where you could have just posted this.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Fuel in oil is ok on a Direct Injected truck. We been through this with you.

I would drive it hard and get the truck really working to seat those piston rings better. Driving like an old man when the truck is new is one of the worst that you can do. I did 5 heat cycles of bringing it up to temperature and then really getting into it on some steep hills. Then letting it cool and doing it again.

Only check the oil when it's been sitting over night. Do not go off of the engine side of the dipstick. It drags on the way up and will give you a false reading.

If your oil is supersaturated with 7% fuel in less than 3200 miles, something else is going on.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by winchested
If you do then you would check it cold before the first start in the morning or after having been sat for a few hours on a level surface.

If you're really worried about it buy a catch can.

Never had this fuel issue (rising oil) but my catch can is always full of what looks and smells like fuel.

Change your oil at 4-5K use full synthetic and DRIVE YOUR TRUCK. The sky is not falling.

And if it still rises and has high fuel content then your high pressure fuel pump is likely leaking at the shaft seal into the head.

I'm sure this question was answered in one or more of the other threads where you could have just posted this.
I check the oil on a level surface after it has sat all night.
My oil change interval to this point has been 1600 miles.
I do DRIVE ME TRUCK. I don't beat it but I don't baby it either.
And no, I don't believe that my question about what percentage of oil in the fuel is normal or acceptable has been answered anywhere. If it has show me.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al XLT
I check the oil on a level surface after it has sat all night.
My oil change interval to this point has been 1600 miles.
I do DRIVE ME TRUCK. I don't beat it but I don't baby it either.
And no, I don't believe that my question about what percentage of oil in the fuel is normal or acceptable has been answered anywhere. If it has show me.

There is no answer, ford is mute on the subject. There are plenty of oil analysis posts on here.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Fuel in oil is ok on a Direct Injected truck. We been through this with you.

I would drive it hard and get the truck really working to seat those piston rings better. Driving like an old man when the truck is new is one of the worst that you can do. I did 5 heat cycles of bringing it up to temperature and then really getting into it on some steep hills. Then letting it cool and doing it again.

Only check the oil when it's been sitting over night. Do not go off of the engine side of the dipstick. It drags on the way up and will give you a false reading.

If your oil is supersaturated with 7% fuel in less than 3200 miles, something else is going on.
I am well aware that fuel in the oil in the EcoBoost is expected and a known issue. Is it OK? I think that depends on how much. This is the question I am trying to get answered. Yes, my truck has sat overnight when I check the oil. I am plenty familiar with the quirks of checking the oil on this engine to know how to do it correctly. The oil had 7% at 1600 miles, changed oil(flash point 260F) and 5% at 3200 , changed oil(think I had said 6% before, flash point 280F)

So any other possible causes besides the fact that it is an EcoBoost Direct Injected Engine and maybe the high pressure fuel pump?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

I have a powerstoke and since 2008 they have used a common rail high pressure fuel delivery system. Ford says that up to 5% is ok.

Also, how are you measuring this fuel in oil %? I know Blackstone uses a formula and there not actually measuring fuel dilution. To measure fuel in oil, it's actually very expensive to do and most companies don't do it to stay competitive in the oil analysis market.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
I have a powerstoke and since 2008 they have used a common rail high pressure fuel delivery system. Ford says that up to 5% is ok.

Also, how are you measuring this fuel in oil %? I know Blackstone uses a formula and there not actually measuring fuel dilution. To measure fuel in oil, it's actually very expensive to do and most companies don't do it to stay competitive in the oil analysis market.
I would guess, as I am by no means an expert, (that's why I am on this forum, to learn) that diesel has more lubricating properties than gasoline so a higher percentage of diesel may be acceptable. Ford will not give me an "acceptable level" percentage for the EcoBoost. The lab that I use does the viscosity test and when a lower than normal viscosity is determined, a flash point test is performed. The flash point test that they perform is an ASTN Cleveland Open Cup. Normal flash point for engine oil is greater than 400 degrees F. Using 380 degrees, which already gives an allowance for some fuel in the oil which is commonly there, the use 1/2 a percent for every 10 degree departure of flash point from 380. Hence a flash point of 260 would be a 6% dilution based on this method. Exact science? Likely not, but certainly tells me plenty and great for comparing samples.

My oil had a viscosity of 131 SUS @100 degrees F with normal for 5W30 being between 230 and 310. Compromised lubricating properties?? The lab tech says absolutely. The low end of normal for 5W20 is 200.

Last edited by Big Al XLT; 04-08-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
rockaho (03-09-2023)
Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

I must have gotten really lucky with both my ecoBoost powered trucks. None of them had the oil level increase on the dip stick ever.

With that said, I do very little in town driving and no stop-and-go traffic.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 71_340
I must have gotten really lucky with both my ecoBoost powered trucks. None of them had the oil level increase on the dip stick ever.

With that said, I do very little in town driving and no stop-and-go traffic.
I too do very little in town driving. I drive a quarter mile from my house and hit the highway and do 55 to 70 for typically a minimum of 30 miles.
The following users liked this post:
rockaho (03-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost- Fuel in Oil, how much is normal?