Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost exhaust leak???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Ecoboost exhaust leak???

Hello,

I have tried to find a thread that addresses the issue I am having but did not find anything. I have a 2013 ecoboost that is leaving large water spots in my driveway after I use my remote state. I do understand that the newer motors do produce water that has to drain out but the issue I ran into is the hole in the resonator is actually letting exhaust fumes out with the water. I attached a picture that shows so you can see what exactly I am talking about. I have a video that you can clearly hear the leak but I am having issues uploading it. My main question is should this really be working like that? The service manager told me that it is normal but this would fail inspection so I am having trouble believing that this is ok. Has anyone else had this issue? I noticed a huge drop in fuel economy around october that the dealer claimed was the change to winter blend fuel, but I was curious if this could be part of the issue? And by huge drop I mean my average went from around 17 to 18 to 11 to 12, both sets figured by hand not the computer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rkfvd3
Hello,

I have tried to find a thread that addresses the issue I am having but did not find anything. I have a 2013 ecoboost that is leaving large water spots in my driveway after I use my remote state. I do understand that the newer motors do produce water that has to drain out but the issue I ran into is the hole in the resonator is actually letting exhaust fumes out with the water. I attached a picture that shows so you can see what exactly I am talking about. I have a video that you can clearly hear the leak but I am having issues uploading it. My main question is should this really be working like that? The service manager told me that it is normal but this would fail inspection so I am having trouble believing that this is ok. Has anyone else had this issue? I noticed a huge drop in fuel economy around october that the dealer claimed was the change to winter blend fuel, but I was curious if this could be part of the issue? And by huge drop I mean my average went from around 17 to 18 to 11 to 12, both sets figured by hand not the computer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
this wont affect your mpg. also how would it fail inspection? its not before the cats. mine leaves a ton of condensation on the ground too. fairly certain its normal.

did you do anything else to your truck or have anything done around october? if not its probably the fuel switch.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:58 PM

The truck is registered as a commercial vehicle and the exhaust must be discharged away from the passenger area. The odds of the highway patrol spot inspecting my f150 is slim to none but it still has a leak in my opinion. My issue isnt that it has a hole but what is coming out of that hole. I uploaded a video to youtube and the truck sounds like a two stroke.
. Take a look and see if I am just crazy, which could be a very good possibility.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

rkfvd3 - What you're seeing/experiencing is WAD - Working As Designed.

The leak (as you call it) is purposely there to drain accumulated moisture from the exhaust system as the result of the exhaust's water vapor condensing after the vehicle is turned-off. *The design has been around for decades on passenger -and- commercial vehicles.

This will in no way affect any vehicle inspection.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
rkfvd3 - What you're seeing/experiencing is WAD - Working As Designed.

The leak (as you call it) is purposely there to drain accumulated moisture from the exhaust system as the result of the exhaust's water vapor condensing after the vehicle is turned-off. *The design has been around for decades on passenger -and- commercial vehicles.

This will in no way affect any vehicle inspection.
That's good enough for me. I just find it weird that we have to put new exhaust clamps on our buses for this exact thing our they would be put out of service. I guess I'm comparing apples to oranges tho. Thanks for the help
Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rkfvd3
That's good enough for me. I just find it weird that we have to put new exhaust clamps on our buses for this exact thing our they would be put out of service. I guess I'm comparing apples to oranges tho. Thanks for the help
hmm mind recording it from just behind the tailgate? mine doesn't sound like that but then again i also haven't climbed up under mine right next to the exhaust either.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 PM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Winter blend gas sucks. I can barely break 12.5 avg in my 5.0. When summer fuel is back it'll be back to normal though

Quick Reply: Ecoboost exhaust leak???