Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-locker trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-locker trouble

So I've got a '13 XLT screw 5.0 4x4 with 3.55's and the electronic locker. I've got about 16k miles on her and hadn't used the 4x4 or locker much as I'm in Houston mostly stay on the road. About a month ago I went camping with some buddies and we spent some time driving down unpaved county roads. Tossed the truck in 4hi as it had rained a few days before and was still a little wet/muddy. Truck did fine, and I locked the rear for one very muddy spot but I don't even know if I needed it.

On the following Monday, when I started the truck to head to work, I noticed that the 4x2 and the locker indicator came on on the dash. I know the 4x2 light comes on every time you start, but I had never noticed the locker light. Well the 4x2 light went off after a few seconds like it always does, but the locker indicator stayed on. Thinking I had left the locker on from the trip, I reached for the **** to turn it off, but the **** was pushed all the way in. As soon as I touched the **** though, the indicator went off and stayed off. I drove to work with no problems and didn't think anything of it. A few days later though, it did it again, this time, after I touched the **** it turned off but then came back on. So I just engaged it, then turned it off and it went off and stayed off.

For the last month it's done this off and on and I hadn't worried about it too much, but today it got worse. Start the truck, indicator is on, touch the ****, it goes off, but as soon as I moved my hand it came back on. I tapped the **** a few times, and each time the indicator would turn off and then right back on. It finally turned off and stayed off so I started driving to work and it came on while I was driving, while turning a corner.... As you can imagine, the rear immediately started to bind so I touched the **** and it went off, but as soon as I removed my hand it came back on. So I just kept a hand on the **** until I got out of my neighborhood. After that, it tried to engage but I was going faster than 20mph so it gave me the warning screen to slow to 20mph to engage the rear locker. After another minute or two of driving it quit acting up.

I'm thinking it's the switch, or maybe a solenoid going out that's engaging the locker. And its definitely locked when the light is on, it's not just a faulty indicator. It only seems to happen when the truck has sat overnight, I don't think I've seen it act up when I leave work. Wheels/tires and suspension are all stock, no programmer or anything like that either.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? Or any ideas as to what is causing this?

I'll be taking the truck to the dealer, but I'm also concerned that they won't want to do anything about it if they can't "replicate the issue".

Thanks in advance, I know I hardly comment on here and this is probably a bear of a first thread to read, but I read almost every thread and get on here several times a day to see what's going on.

tl;dr
My e-locker engages all by itself when I start my truck with the 4x4 **** pushed in. Touching the **** turns it off.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

ride along with them showing them the issue. I think you are right in thinking its a bad switch/solenoid/relay. Should be an easy fix if thats all it is
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just started having this same issue myself. Did the dealer find anything from yours?
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely the switch. Dealer replaced it and I've been trouble free in that respect. It took them two days to replace it, but that was due to their incompetence and not the switch. I probably could have swapped it myself but I was under warranty and I had to wait for their "interior guy" to be available as apparently only he is qualified enough to pop the switch out and pop a new one in.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I took it in yesterday and they replaced the switch. As you say, I would have done it myself but it's still under warranty so why pay for it when you don't have to. I also got lucky and it only took an hour and a half for them to get someone available. Then a total of 10 minutes to find a new switch and put it in

Quick Reply: E-locker trouble