Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving myself insane trying to buy my first truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving myself insane trying to buy my first truck

Hey Fellas (and Gals), new to the forum here. I've been reading various threads over the past few weeks and decided it was time to post.

Lately, I've been driving myself insane trying to "find the best deal". This will be my first truck and I was a little sticker shocked when I first started looking. I've narrowed down what I am looking for (see below). But I've put myself in a hard place by reading all theses "I saved 10K off sticker" posts.

The vehicle I'm looking at new has an MRSP of ~$41k to $43k and incentives in my area are only $4,750 right now. There are also several dealers in the area that have the same vehicle on their lot in the 2012-2013 year model, but they are asking damn near $30k for a truck that has 30,000 miles on it.

Question is... do I buy now (and if so what is a reasonable price), or wait for the 2015's to roll out and get some killer rebates/incentives on the 14's?

Vechile I'm looking at:
F150 Screw
4x4
5.0L
301A or 302A
XLT Chrome Package
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Rebates on the 14s will likely pickup this summer. I bought my 13 in September with lots of rebates. And I too researched a lot of it here prior to buying.

You could still try and expand your search to get leftover 13s, but might not have choice in color or some options.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM

If you can hold off a few months, wait until the 15s roll out like the guy above said. More than likely you'll find the truck that you want with huge rebates. If Ford credit is running incentives too then it'll be a win win situation.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:51 PM

[MENTION=166105]rockyraccoon[/MENTION] I've done some expanded searches up to 300 miles and they really don't have what i'm looking for in color/options.

When buying new, are you folks going to the dealers knowing their Invoice price, then working rebates/incentives off from there? I quality for X-Plan as well. Will they deduct that from dealer invoice, or just MRSP only?
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Rebates will probably increase as the 2015s hit the lot, however, don't let any dealer tell you that the current rebates are all that's available.

Now, assuming you have adequate cash or credit to buy in the first place, walk in and tell them how much you're willing to pay (let's just say 10k under sticker). They're gonna say its impossible and then you start for the door. A cold beer says you won't get three steps. It may take a few tries like this to get what you want.

My sticker was $52,510 on my current truck. I payed $42,510+TTT. Rebates at the time was only $2500 or so.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

redcoat, welcome to the forum. Rebates/Incentives are more trim specific. Ex. you will see move on the XLT than you will the Platinum or Limited. As far as 10K off remember that is region specific. In North Carolina I can't get the same deal as say Texas. Most dealers (mine included) will sell at invoice plus "doc fees" that vary from dealer to dealer (my dealer is $499), and "Ad fees" that we all pay now (usually between $600 - $700). They then minus the rebates/incentive in place in your area, the add tax, tag, and title.

You can see the rebates available in you neck of the woods at www.ford.com under "Shopping" then in the drop down look for "rebates/offers."

If you try to make a deal on a truck compared to what someone else says they paid for their's it will drive you nuts. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Unfortunately I'm in Michigan, so we don't get those big Texas style deals. I've been told that the 2015's are scheduled to hit the dealers lots this December, so I'll probably be waiting on grabbing a 2014 sometime in September when they're trying to clear inventory. Unless I come across a used vehicle that jumps out at me.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 187 Likes on 155 Posts

If you can wait, I'd suggest taking your time and contacting all dealers within a radius that is agreeable to you, contact each of them via email with the exact specs on the truck you want, and then play them off each other. I did this process over about 4 months.

A few of the dealers will go off your list immediately, probably via a combination of assuming you're stupid (e.g., "Why don't you come to our lot and find one you want") or indicating very strongly that they are stupid (e.g., "Do you want the sport package on that FX4?"). But a few others will take you seriously. Work w/them, ask what they'll give you in addition, such as throwing in a Line-X or perhaps window tinting, or maybe wheel well covers. Something that doesn't cost them much, but suggests serious goodwill. That got me to about 3 dealers, and then I told the two others what the cheapest offer was, and then asked if they'd match it and what other sweeteners they'd throw in. Then settle on one, place your order, and wait a month or two for it to be built.

If you walk into a dealer first, you're already a mark. Don't set foot into a dealer until you've already gotten an offer in writing and you're only there to sign the paperwork (or, of course, if you still want to drive different models). This all worked great for me. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Just so I know all my options....

For those of you whom have purchased a pre-owned vehicle, do you typically start your negotiations at KBB Clean Trade in value? This would put 2011-2012's with around 25k miles at $23-26k starting point. I haven't had to purchase a car in years, so I'm a bit rusty.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

www.autonationfordkaty.com

By far the lowest prices I've seen anywhere. Those online prices are what you pay. You could buy it here in Houston, and have it shipped to you for cheaper. lol
The following users liked this post:
MattN03 (04-17-2014)

Quick Reply: Driving myself insane trying to buy my first truck