Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving on deep snow - Relate your experiences!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts

Default Driving on deep snow - Relate your experiences!

Hi guys!

I posted a question on another thread related to snow, but didn't get info on the subject. I did search and read a lot around the forum/web and didn't really find experienced facts on driving on deep snow that would clarify if Open-Diff alone were being used or not.

It might seem a silly question, but it's instructive to me as there's plans to move the family to the country side where we'll be having lots of driving in those circumstances...

I love driving on snowy conditions and snow covered roads, but have always had good winter tires on (Hakkapeliitas - gesuntheit - and recently Michelin) and I never got stuck or hic-cupped and it's all been fun!

However this was never on snow deeper then the wheel hubs...

So the question I have for those guys driving in deep snow is:
does the open-diff and 1WSCS usually performes flawlessly?
And for those that have the ELD is: did you ever had the need to use it as a precaution or you get along just well without using it?

Just curious as most of the time I drive in the city and rarely even use 4X4 (exception on hills or slippery patches as I have the bed always heavy with tools and materials for my work).
These trucks are amazingly stable in snow.

Appreciate your feedback.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Depends on how deep you mean. From my experience, with an open diff, I had absolutely 0 issues getting around with the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires in 12" of snow, which is about as much as KY ever sees. This is in 4x4 Hi with traction control on.
The following users liked this post:
WildernessLVR (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the first full winter I've driven mine in and will say I have never locked in the rear diff. At most I just kicked it in to 4X4 high. The only time I've heard of this being used was a buddy of mine who was out hunting and the trail was getting bad and he needed to pull another out of the mud when he locked his in. I think you would be fine to not lock it in unless you are talking 18 plus inches of snow. The last 2 my area had were 12 and 17 inches and I was good with just kicking 4X4 in
Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in NothWest Montana and we get plenty of deep snow, the problem here is that the snow plows don't get to the back and side roads until last so we have deep snow on the roads. With an open differential you will have to be in 4x4 most of the time even with good snow tires and traction control. I installed a Eaton truetrac limited -slip differential and I spend less time in 4x4. But honestly it's no big deal to be in 4x4, I just felt that a limited slip is better in all seasons for logging and back roads. it is much safer and worth the money.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by anotherfordguy
Depends on how deep you mean. From my experience, with an open diff, I had absolutely 0 issues getting around with the OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires in 12" of snow, which is about as much as KY ever sees. This is in 4x4 Hi with traction control on.
Thanks for your reply!

By deep snow I mean roughly as high as the step bars, nothing too high that could be unwise to drive through or that could brake any plastic assessories under our trucks from some dragging.

Yes, from much of the reading around the forum, good tires or tires in good shape make a big difference (I know that for a fact as I love my pirellis for summer time, but are super unsafe for cold weather use), but I was still wondering if even when the tires grip if the open-diff would refuse to push the truck through.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tman1257
This is the first full winter I've driven mine in and will say I have never locked in the rear diff. At most I just kicked it in to 4X4 high. The only time I've heard of this being used was a buddy of mine who was out hunting and the trail was getting bad and he needed to pull another out of the mud when he locked his in. I think you would be fine to not lock it in unless you are talking 18 plus inches of snow. The last 2 my area had were 12 and 17 inches and I was good with just kicking 4X4 in
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, that's one of other situations where I think an ELD is a very useful option.

I basically live in the city center and work on it's boundaries and haven't had any offroad experience at all. So my scarce times using 4x4 were when it was snowing at night and I went out driving a bit for fun when I guessed those drivers that won their driver's license on the lottery (which abound in here, by the way) are in the hole.
For the most part the roads are plowed constantly around here, so the snow doesn't get to accumulate. And the last two winters it snowed so few and in between that on my daily drivings I barely remember engaging 4x4.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grizwarrior
I live in NothWest Montana and we get plenty of deep snow, the problem here is that the snow plows don't get to the back and side roads until last so we have deep snow on the roads. With an open differential you will have to be in 4x4 most of the time even with good snow tires and traction control. I installed a Eaton truetrac limited -slip differential and I spend less time in 4x4. But honestly it's no big deal to be in 4x4, I just felt that a limited slip is better in all seasons for logging and back roads. it is much safer and worth the money.
Thanks for the reply as well!

That's exactly why I'm seeking some feedback.

Moving from our always plowed roads to the wonderful natural conditions of the country side is a family dream.
I don't want to be too comfortable thinking that I can trust that having good tires will give the truck train-like superpowers plowing through deep snow to find out the open-diff (even with ELD on) will leave me waiting in the cold for some help to come.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

We need to address the different types of snow here. Dry snow, a foot is nothing, wet snow is the gotcha, along with the ice that's under it a lot of times.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:32 PM

Well pointed out Johnday!

I should have been more specific.
Yes, hard wet snow is my biggest worry!

Ice is an unpredictable surface. My experience with it is just parking on an occasional icy spot. Never drove over it and believe even good winter tires can't make miracles on it. I'll be hopeless if ever drive over it, judging by my skating abilities LOL!

Another thing I just remembered is loose sand (dunes). We're planning our next summer holidays with an escape to some beaches where we could drive on the sand. There I'd guess an open-diff will be seriously put to test?
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Although I just bought this truck, I have extensive experience in deep snow in Vermont and Colorado. Nothing beats chains, for one thing. I'll take a 2wd with chains over a 4wd without any day.

Depending on the depth and consistency of the snow, I've found sometimes it's best to keep speed up and sort of float over it.

One thing you do NOT want to do is start spinning your tires for any length of time. A situation easily remedied with some stone or other traction aid can quickly turn into a major ordeal if you bury yourself enough to get your undercarriage hung up.