Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline Vibration Below 20mph

Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Driveline Vibration Below 20mph

Hi everyone,

Did a search and didn't see a thread on this exact issue, so figured I would start one and document it in case someone else runs into my situation. I have a 2013 F150 STX RCSB w/ the 5.0 V8 and 3.31 rear diff. I have 6,000mi and am experiencing a slight vibration in my transmission below 20mph when accelerating. The vibration doesn't seem very prevalent when I'm really really easy on the gas, but when I accelerate at a normal rate, it happens. I took it to my dealer this morning and had their drive line/transmission tech drive it. He noticed it, so that's good. Going to setup a time next week for them to drop it off and figure it out.

Other than the FX4 wheels/tires and Belltech rear shackles/shims to level things out, there are no mods to the truck. When I did the leveling kit, I had a drive line shutter that was noticeable at 15 and 35mph. I installed the shims and it cleared up the problem. No matter how easy or hard you were on the gas, you'd get the shutter. I told the tech that, and he said to bring the stock shackles in, just in case. I don't think they're to cause though, as the problem I'm experiencing is up to 20mph and when I get on the gas, and not an exact mph.

What are your thoughts - Take off the shackles and see if it still does it or hand it over to the dealer and let them figure it out?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 613 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by prorider17
Hi everyone,

Did a search and didn't see a thread on this exact issue, so figured I would start one and document it in case someone else runs into my situation. I have a 2013 F150 STX RCSB w/ the 5.0 V8 and 3.31 rear diff. I have 6,000mi and am experiencing a slight vibration in my transmission below 20mph when accelerating. The vibration doesn't seem very prevalent when I'm really really easy on the gas, but when I accelerate at a normal rate, it happens. I took it to my dealer this morning and had their drive line/transmission tech drive it. He noticed it, so that's good. Going to setup a time next week for them to drop it off and figure it out.

Other than the FX4 wheels/tires and Belltech rear shackles/shims to level things out, there are no mods to the truck. When I did the leveling kit, I had a drive line shutter that was noticeable at 15 and 35mph. I installed the shims and it cleared up the problem. No matter how easy or hard you were on the gas, you'd get the shutter. I told the tech that, and he said to bring the stock shackles in, just in case. I don't think they're to cause though, as the problem I'm experiencing is up to 20mph and when I get on the gas, and not an exact mph.

What are your thoughts - Take off the shackles and see if it still does it or hand it over to the dealer and let them figure it out?
Take them off and see, chances are they will just blame the shackles and have you return it to stock before they touch it
Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Handing to the dealer with those mods might get expensive. They start experimenting on your dime? I'd put things back to stock and then let them figure it out………
Old 01-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Sounds like the pinion angle could be off a little. If it does it with the stock shackles as well, your best bet is to install those and let the dealer figure it out. Most dealers are quick to blame any aftermarket parts they see.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

i would guess you have some spring wrap. let me get this straight, you used shackles and shims together. a taller block and shims would probably have been better in my opinion. i have never liked shackles, they can bend easy. try greasing the slip joint also.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:33 PM

[MENTION=146054]white08gt[/MENTION] - I used drop shackles (not much of a drop) in conjunction with shims. I wanted the rear to sit a little bit lower. Don't blocks raise the back? I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow morning and drop off my truck. I'm going to make it very clear to them that I need to know the price of returning it to stock shackles before they hold onto it and experiment. My local shop can do it for $40.. So we'll see what they say. If it's all stock bits, you can't argue with that.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

i was thinking you raised your rear instead of lowering. the dealer is going to blame the work you had done and charge you alot more than $40. what degree shim did they put in? do you have LSD? this causes a shudder sometimes.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the other post about the pinion angle. Maybe a slight adjustment in the carrier bearing would fix the issue.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by prorider17
...Going to setup a time next week for them to drop it off and figure it out...
I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, prorider17. To make this happen, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get the ball rolling!

Crystal
Old 01-23-2014, 02:52 PM

[MENTION=47652]FordService[/MENTION] - Hi Crystal. I'll PM you my info. I dropped off my truck this morning. I made sure to have the rear shackles and shims taken off before dropping it off. I figured it would be best to diagnose the issue with the aftermarket stuff removed. After it was returned to stock, I still experienced the same vibrations on my way to the dealership. Shows that the aftermarket stuff wasn't the cause. Still hoping to get it fixed. Gary Yeomans Ford has it and always takes great care of me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration Below 20mph